Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so while I was messing around trying to get some LED's working in the cornering lights, they both stopped working altogether. I knew it wasn't the bulbs because the one that wasn't fitted when they went off didn't work when I put it back in.

I had a scan through the manual at the fuses but there isn't a fuse listed for the cornering lights, not specifically or even alongside anything else.

I've just been through the engine compartment fuse box with my meter and checked all the fuses, I found one fuse was blown. F43 - 15 amp. A quick look back in the manual and it shows F43 as Headlamps, no mention of Cornering Lights. My headlights including Main beam were all working as normal.

Just thought it might be a useful starting point if anyone else has any issues.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga MK2 2014 Titanium X Sport 4x4 2.0TDCI 180PS Manual Sync1
199 Posts
Did you try to change both sides to LED with resistors and test them?

·
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet, I wanted to get them working again before starting to think about going to LED.

The bulbs I have aren't suitable so I've ordered some different ones, I'm waiting for those to be delivered. I'll have another look next weekend now, as it's dark when I get home from work.

Reactions: MaoVi

·
Registered
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
865 Posts
Aaagh, now you've gone and broken it with your tinkering :rolleyes::p

How odd - I guess it must be the fuse if both have cornering lights suddenly stopped working, but having no fuse mentioned is odd; maybe they call them something different like parking lamps or turning bulbs or static cornering etc?
I've never replaced a fuse for them, but had plenty of them blow on me, particularly when messing with brighter incandescents on my previous Kuga.

May sound condescending sorry, but I presume you've plugged them back in the correct way round?

Change that fuse anyhow and see how you get on (y)

·
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I broke it but I also fixed it so it cancels it out! 🤪

Not condescending at all :rolleyes: they're halogen so there is no right or wrong way. I've never had a fuse blow on them before, when I got the car they weren't working. I changed both bulbs and they worked, I think I've changed them both again since. They do call them something different, the fuse is labelled Headlights but, as I said above my headlights including main beam were working as normal.

This was different, the LED's I have are the type that have a little box of electronic trickery between the plug and the bulb, so I wired the resistor in the middle of the plug that connects to the car and this box of trickery. They worked initially, for maybe 30 ~ 45 seconds. I then turned everything off and fitted (should probably say squeezed) into the light housing, it was very tight, anyway, once I got it all stuffed in I refitted the cap and fired the car back up to try them again, this was when it wouldn't work. It was cold & wet so I just gave up and put the original bulb back in, this was when I realised that the passenger side wasn't working either. I knew it was more than the bulbs because the one that wasn't fitted didn't work when I put it back in, kinda impossible to blow a bulb that's not connected.

I have ordered some different LED bulbs, ones without the electronic box of tricks. When I get these I'll have a go at adding the resistor to the original car wiring instead.

Look at all them words, @smartguy69 would be proud!

·
Registered
865 Posts

Not condescending at all :rolleyes: they're halogen so there is no right or wrong way. I've never had a fuse blow on them before, when I got the car they weren't working. I changed both bulbs and they worked, I think I've changed them both again since. They do call them something different, the fuse is labelled Headlights but, as I said above my headlights including main beam were working as normal.

This was different, the LED's I have are the type that have a little box of electronic trickery between the plug and the bulb, so I wired the resistor in the middle of the plug that connects to the car and this box of trickery. They worked initially, for maybe 30 ~ 45 seconds. I then turned everything off and fitted (should probably say squeezed) into the light housing, it was very tight, anyway, once I got it all stuffed in I refitted the cap and fired the car back up to try them again, this was when it wouldn't work. It was cold & wet so I just gave up and put the original bulb back in, this was when I realised that the passenger side wasn't working either. I knew it was more than the bulbs because the one that wasn't fitted didn't work when I put it back in, kinda impossible to blow a bulb that's not connected.

I have ordered some different LED bulbs, ones without the electronic box of tricks. When I get these I'll have a go at adding the resistor to the original car wiring instead.

So if you break something and fix it, it doesn't count! Sounds like a fair rule to me :D

I would have though the box of trickery would have done the same as the resistor, but then I've had experience with "error free" LED bulbs not working correctly, so it may be an incompatibility of some sort :unsure: You've not been shopping at Halfords again have you?

Let us know how you get on with your new LEDs (y)

Reactions: andspenka

·
Registered
3,560 Posts

A very informative account.

·
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would have though the box of trickery would have done the same as the resistor, but then I've had experience with "error free" LED bulbs not working correctly, so it may be an incompatibility of some sort :unsure:
Yeah, I thought that the box of trickery would be the same but they still flashed on and off before I fitted the resistor.

You've not been shopping at Halfords again have you?

Let us know how you get on with your new LEDs (y)
Nah, ebay specials!

Reactions: Phil Doggo

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,264 Posts
Decent H7's are bright enough in ours, never felt the need to mess about with them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Decent H7's are bright enough in ours, never felt the need to mess about with them.
Halogens for me shouldn't existing any more ;)

·
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not the brightness that's the issue, I hate the yellowy colour.

I don't even have any at home, they've all been changed for white LED's too.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts

I just changed the lights in my house to LED's where the wife likes to leave them on permanently.

Reactions: andspenka

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just changed the lights in my house to LED's where the wife likes to leave them on permanently.
Keep your mind the fact is, after sunset we shouldn't using light temperature over 4000K because it cause slower production of melatonine.

PS: But headlight have to have 6000K minimum, also this white light improve concentration :)

·
Registered
865 Posts

I've just finally finished changing all mine to LED - much better and instant light.

I treated myself to some of those Philips Hue lights and controllers. Such a good gadget :geek:

Tactical bulb changes :LOL:

Reactions: smartguy69

·
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've just finally finished changing all mine to LED - much better and instant light.

I treated myself to some of those Philips Hue lights and controllers. Such a good gadget :geek:
Yeah, that's what we have in the living room lights and an outside coach light. If you have an Alexa you can link them so you can ask her to turn them on/off or change the brightness.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Tactical bulb changes :LOL:
[/QUOTE]

Yes, we have 8 X GU10 in the kitchen and they would always be on. Wife doesn't like carrots so replaced all 8 with some Wickes ones that were in offer. Did our living room table lamps, hallway, landing, bathroom and wife's bedside lamp. I have the living room lamps on smart plugs.

·
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We've got LAP GU10 in the kitchen, got them from Screwfix. I also changed the fluorescent tube to LED. Also changed the bathroom from square fluorescent to LED panel.

I've even changed the lights in the caravan to LED, I think I'm obsessed 🤪 🤪

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
We've got LAP GU10 in the kitchen, got them from Screwfix. I also changed the fluorescent tube to LED. Also changed the bathroom from square fluorescent to LED panel.

Yes it's made you light headed.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yeah, that's what we have in the living room lights and an outside coach light. If you have an Alexa you can link them so you can ask her to turn them on/off or change the brightness.
Yes, they're awesome and I have mine linked to Google Assistant :D

Gotta love 'em - my partner thinks I'm obsessed with LEDs :giggle:

Yes it's made you light headed.
BOOM BOOM :LOL:

·
2,997 Posts
Keep your mind the fact is, after sunset we shouldn't using light temperature over 4000K because it cause slower production of melatonine.
:D But you wouldn't want to fall asleep while driving - would you?

You could get a replacement halogen that's a whiter colour temperature and higher output. That's all I've done with mine.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts