Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Mk2 titanium X sport 150 diesel, lovely car, I’m really enjoying it, but I have noticed the coolant depleting but not sure why, I have had it pressure tested and no leaks, I have been told the bottle will appear to be empty as the coolant is within the system, I left it at that and checked it again and there wasn’t any coolant in the bottle, even when the engine cooled down! It’s generally been below the min line. When I top the system up I get a puddle under the car, as if it’s coming straight out! But the car will hold temp, won’t over heat (as of yet anyway) but I am confused why I can smell the coolant when I get out of the car and it’s at full temp, am I missing something or is this normal for this model? I’m used to owning mk1 focus’s.

·
Super Moderator
661 Posts
For me the smell of coolant is telling. There has to be a leak of some sort, maybe a pinhole in the rad?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Can you see where it's coming out when you top up.
The coolant system is pressurised so it will leak out of any holes when it gets up to temperature.

Reactions: MichaelR232

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's a very simple system but very difficult to diagnose. Coolant can be dissapearing only in three ways: overflowing from the tank, leaking from several possilbe leak-points, or burnt when leaking into the engine.
-If it's leaking, then you can probably tell where from, and if you don't want to spent much time diagnosing, you can do a blitzkrieg, replace everything and be done with it.
-If it's overflowing, then maybe air is getting sucked into the system, something similar to the first alternative, instead of coolant leaking, you get air into the system. However, there is the extremely bad scenario when compression is getting into the cooling system, which leads us to option C.
-If it's being burnt and/or compression is getting into the system, then it's either head gasket (best-case) or corrosion (worst-case).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s the thing I can’t see where it’s coming from, I think I need to get the under tray off and get right in there, there and see if it’s anything else other than the overflow

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
burnt when leaking into the engine.
Cheers, I think I’m going to chase this down and start replacing for peace of mind, I’m hoping its nothing to do with the gasket but the warranty will cover it if it is, I don’t get how it’s fully pressurised and leaking/losing coolant, so a bit of sealant, new parts and a weekend looks to be on the horizon.

·
Premium Member
Kuga Titanium X 2014
77 Posts
Cheers, I think I’m going to chase this down and start replacing for peace of mind, I’m hoping its nothing to do with the gasket but the warranty will cover it if it is, I don’t get how it’s fully pressurised and leaking/losing coolant, so a bit of sealant, new parts and a weekend looks to be on the horizon.
If you have warranty I would request Ford keep the car and solve the issue, head office is always a good port of call if local branch won’t investigate further, shouldn’t be topping up coolant that regularly!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. did you find the problem with coolant? I have recently found this problem with mine and mechanic is struggling to find it. Hope your now sorted, any info greatly appreciated

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi. did you find the problem with coolant? I have recently found this problem with mine and mechanic is struggling to find it. Hope your now sorted, any info greatly appreciated
The garage had the car for over two weeks, eventually decided to strip the engine and found it was a blown head gasket and warped cylinder head! So the manager of the garage decided to throw everything at the car and had the engine rebuilt, over £3k of work (not my money) they even put new discs and pads all round and a tank of diesel. The car is lovely now 👍🏻

Reactions: murcod

·
Registered
875 Posts
So it was the better one of the two worst-case scenarios. It's the most common problem, when coolant starts dissappearing and traces of it can be found in the exhaust gases. Engine block was OK though, or did they replace this as well ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it was the better one of the two worst-case scenarios. It's the most common problem, when coolant starts dissappearing and traces of it can be found in the exhaust gases. Engine block was OK though, or did they replace this as well ?
The block was one of the only parts that wasn’t replaced

1 - 12 of 12 Posts