Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thinked to buy 45l cool / warmer box for weekend tent / trips. I looking for something cheap like them two:

119.97£

149.99£

I wish to leave them overnight plugged in the car using ECO mode option. They not provide information about energy usage so it's hard to estimate.
I will be grateful if anyone could advice me about possibility of battery drain.
...I thinked to buy battery jump pack, just in case :unsure:

60£ Halfords Advanced Lithium Jump Starter - Up to 2L | Halfords UK
677444.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
Cheap thermo-electric (Peltier effect ) cool boxes are very inefficient and draw a constant current of at least 5Amps. Your battery will be about 75Amp Hour capacity, and you should not discharge the battery below 50% otherwise there will be lasting damage, so 75AH x50% = 37.5AH usable, divided by 5 Amps = 7.5 hours.

I had a Waeco Compressor cool box which also drew about 5 A, but in this case mine only ran for 4 minutes in every 25 which calculates as a steady draw of 0.8A, so the battery could support 46hours of use...

My usage was aboard my boat, and with solar panels we were able to keep the coolbox running 24x7 for two weeks.

I researched this topic extensively for the boat where protecting the 12V supply was a science in its own right

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @Guzzilazz for your opinion.
Yes, they have energy efficiency rating F. Like you said they works at the same technology so I will probably buy cheaper one.
I'm still quite interested how much power they consume in ECO mode. I guess manufacturers are not proud with results to provide them.

The safest and the most accurate method will be just buy cool box and measure by multimeter how much power it use.
If it will be too high even in ECO mode just simply I will switch it off overnight, propably it still keep products cool for a few hours.
Or like you use something like 12V 50W solar to charge another 50Ah battery.

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
I was using 300 W Solar supporting a 330 Ah battery bank... In midsummer I would get about 4-5 A in the best conditions (both panels in full sun, no shadows) so you'd be lucky to get maybe 0.5 A...That'd take a week to recharge your second battery,,,

Reactions: MaoVi

·
Mr Modification
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for opening my eyes. Now I know solars are not for me 🤭

Reactions: Guzzilazz

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
If your only using it when your day tripping the cheap thermo-electric (Peltier effect ) cool box is fine, after all your trying to keep the contents cool not freeze them, though ours ( we have 2) a Halfords vintage 2001 which will keep cool or keep warm, and Frigobox 2003 vintage will both easily go down to 15 degrees below ambient in summer.but could take half a day to do so. You can supplement the cooling by introducing a couple of ice packs.
Your car alternator will supply the 5 or 6 amps the coolbox needs when travelling of course.

Perhaps contact the manufacturers for the Eco mode info or even a copy of the user guide. You could get away with perhaps 1 amp or 2 amp at most overnight if your battery is good, and you know your travelling next day.

Works for us this past 20 years and I imagine the latest boxes are quicker at dropping the temperature along with temperature control too, I've fitted that to my ancient boxes which are half the size of the ones your looking at. Also fitted a run on timer in line with the box supply so the box runs for set times after the Kuga battery saver replay drops out.

·
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,336 Posts
The peltier type coolers are cheap for a good reason. I repaired one that was broken and it drew a fair bit of current as @Guzzilazz said. In the case of the one I repaired it had a simple thermal switch to control the peltier turning on/off. When researching how they work I discovered that was a bad way to operate them and most likely why the one I was given had failed. IIRC you need to control them via PWM.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Oh indeed they are cheaper for a reason, but I'd hope that the later models (design) would have better control than the ones I have (which in their native form had non), but as a cool box they work well. Not looked at later cool boxes, but adding PWM these days shouldn't add too much to a coolbox, but it may then start approaching the compressor price.

Yes, both ours draw around 6 amps .

·
Mr Modification
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That's good idea @Fillco I asked them about power consumption in ECO mode. Answer will help me to make decision with one to buy, and how long keep it on during the night (y)

Adding better controller it's clever idea, manufacturers saving money with everything.

Also I seen like people upgraded / added insulation in lid and other missed places.

PS: I have an answer from ElectriQ, power consumption in normal cooling mode is 4.58A
Unfortunately they not provide any accurate measurements in ECO, just they "consume as little energy as possible" ;)

·
3,336 Posts
Check if the external heatsink on the peltier has a fan on it. They operate on a fixed temperature difference between the two surfaces of the peltier, so if you can keep that external heatsink cooler then the cooler will work better. If it's got some sort of smart temperature control it should cycle on less often.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Yes as David says, looks like they operate on fixed temperature under 12V operation and keep the fan clear of obstructions.One reason after a couple of years of running ours I fitted temperature control. Being motivated to add temperature control to the Frigobox when on mains power, particularly as we bought that for our son while at first year university, as someone was filching milk from the communal refrigerator at UMIST and the Frigobox could tend to freeze the milk in 24h.

Ours are around 23L, so much smaller than the BG-0445 your looking at, but the at A++ for the BG-0445 if it really means anything, will be much more efficient (in comparison) to older ones that we have, but ours works for us in day outing.

Had a quick look at some reviews, some saying that cooled cans and meat and were still cool after 2 nights without power.

·
Mr Modification
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BERG manufacturer from this more expensive box sended me an instruction. Funny thing is they both BERG and ELECTRIQ have the same electronic BG-0445 - instruction are exactly the same :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for all your searches and advices I ordered this cheaper electriQ 45l :)
After warranty I will look to improve insulation and controller.

Reactions: murcod

·
Mr Modification
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Control panel disappointed me, in both options (MAX and ECO) power consumption was the same 3.6A at 12V :ROFLMAO: what a usless switch.
... ECO may worked when fridge is fully cooled I will wait today how it will looks like later on :unsure:

After 5 hours cooler drop termerature from 20°C to 5°C, after 12h when was off temperature rised to 12°C (empty fridge)

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Does the ECO eventually cycle on and off?

That temperature looks OK for an empty box.

·
Mr Modification
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does the ECO eventually cycle on and off?
No, it keep running all the time, still when reach lowest temperature 5°C :unsure:

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Did I see in the data sheet that Eco was used when on mains supply?

·
Mr Modification
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Did I see in the data sheet that Eco was used when on mains supply?
Yes you are right ECO will work only in main power supply :rolleyes:
Hmm so another question is; it will make sense to plug cooler using back seats 240V inverter?
...or there is a lot of power waste when power is converted? (sorry for this question ;)

·
3,336 Posts
You could use ForScan to read the current using both and work out which is the more efficient option. I'd be thinking the conversion losses would be an issue like you said

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Davids answered the question there, I'd stick with 12V though you'd think that Eco would be active when on 12V too.

I guess you need to see how it retains temperature when its off with cool or frozen contents.

·
Mr Modification
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You could use ForScan to read the current using both and work out which is the more efficient option. I'd be thinking the conversion losses would be an issue like you said
Unfortunately inverter not working when car is off. I should check it before I brought laptop and interface :ROFLMAO:

Davids answered the question there, I'd stick with 12V though you'd think that Eco would be active when on 12V too.

I guess you need to see how it retains temperature when its off with cool or frozen contents.
I will try to fill up fridge tomorrow and left in overnight like you advice, to see how it will keep temperature...
I will camping just one night so should be okay. I wouldn't risk battery drain. I planned to camping wild in Scotland.
For future longer trips I will need additional leisure battery or jump pack.

@Fillco Do you mean 12V thermostat like this for temperature control?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts