Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Ford kuga 2015 titanium X 150 remapped to 190 in absolute black
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all having a cold start problem takes a good 10 cyclings before firing the chap at the shop says the  alternate might be putting out to much voltage

He said it needs a good run I said it run 30+ miles a day .
I had two checks one at Halfords another at a motor factors Halfords being the white print out and was the first test

I should of took a Picture of the first reading as it said battery needs charging

Anyone got an ideas thanks
Telephony Mobile phone Communication Device Temperature Gadget

Handwriting Gesture Communication Device Gadget Finger

Mobile phone Communication Device Telephony Gadget Portable communications device

Receipt Font Paper Thumb Paper product

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
623 Posts
Voltage over 15V it's normal.

The question is do you have got genuine factory fitted 6 years old Ford battery or it was replaced?

If it's still original you have to replace it to new one and reset BMS system. Then all your problems will gone.

Reactions: Johnny rider

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,230 Posts
It’s that time of the year to fail, annoying as it is.
In all my years of car ownership it’s the first car battery on the kuga I’ve had to change.

There’s lot of battery/electrical issues in the mk2 section and a new battery and reset seems to be the tonic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it Ford just using cheap batteries so time for an upgrade. My old car has agm battery and that was 8 years old and worked great in the cold 👍🏻

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,230 Posts
This is what the Alcoholic Anonymous fitted for me.

Part​
Price​
1x BOSCH EFB BATTERY 110 75AH 730CCA L315 x W175 x H175 0/1 B13 - Remaining Warranty: 5 yrs​

·
Registered
Premium White 2018 Kuga ST 183BHP Auto 4x4
410 Posts
I think it Ford just using cheap batteries so time for an upgrade. My old car has agm battery and that was 8 years old and worked great in the cold 👍🏻
Fords do not use cheap battery they use Varta, When you change battery you need to use a like for like If you have stop start I think you should use EFB type not AGM.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve spoke to a battery company gave them my details and they said a agm would be a prefect upgrade 👍🏻 Chatting on other forums people have done the same

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EFB is fine - why pay more for an AGM if you have had 6 years out of the last one? Incidentally on the ticket it says it is an AGM battery so which is it? Ford do not fit AGM batteries.
On £20 between the two 👍🏻 I get what your saying bud why not but a better battery in when you can I will last long and better with cold starts 👍🏻

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It could be a glow plug issue if it's struggling to start from cold.

According to the BMS my battery dates back to May 2015. The AGM in our Vauxhall lasted 4 years.
It’s a slow start when cold and has been getting worse with the temperature dropping

·
Registered
Premium White 2018 Kuga ST 183BHP Auto 4x4
410 Posts
If you look on Varta site put in your reg it will given you a choice of battery that will fit into battery tray. I think that you can get a higher crank battery that will suit. There is also a point that Fords make if you have a silver calcium battery you must replace the same, if you buy into that, and as I said Fords fit Varta battery.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good day all having a cold start problem takes a good 10 cyclings before firing the chap at the shop says the  alternate might be putting out to much voltage

He said it needs a good run I said it run 30+ miles a day .
I had two checks one at Halfords another at a motor factors Halfords being the white print out and was the first test

I should of took a Picture of the first reading as it said battery needs charging

Anyone got an ideas thanks View attachment 9153
View attachment 9154
View attachment 9155
View attachment 9152
started mine up t'other day when it was frosty, just had maybe a 5 second delay (pre heating?) then it started to turnover and fired straight away. I presume this delay is 'normal', rather than as you've said actually turning over a few times before actually firing up ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
started mine up t'other day when it was frosty, just had maybe a 5 second delay (pre heating?) then it started to turnover and fired straight away. I presume this delay is 'normal', rather than as you've said actually turning over a few times before actually firing up ?
Yes delay is normal like a pre heat I’ve fitted a new battery yesterday and she fires up straight away now like is should do 👍🏻

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,226 Posts
Hopefully you have found your problem @Johnny rider . I have said time and time again that the electronic battery analysers don't show a true reading of the battery state. If they used one of the old style drop testers then perhaps the original result would have been different. They put a simulated heavy load across the battery which gives you a true reflection of the battery state. I don't think they are recommended for AGM and EFB type batteries but then it would appear the modern analyser isn't much use either judging from your posts and other posts I have read where the battery has been tested ok, yet the faults are rectified when the battery is replaced.

This is what I know to give a true reading of the CCA.

Gas Nickel Font Handle Fashion accessory

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hopefully you have found your problem @Johnny rider . I have said time and time again that the electronic battery analysers don't show a true reading of the battery state. If they used one of the old style drop testers then perhaps the original result would have been different. They put a simulated heavy load across the battery which gives you a true reflection of the battery state. I don't think they are recommended for AGM and EFB type batteries but then it would appear the modern analyser isn't much use either judging from your posts and other posts I have read where the battery has been tested ok, yet the faults are rectified when the battery is replaced.

This is what I know to give a true reading of the CCA.

View attachment 9171
I went to three garages to test battery all came back it needs a recharge . I said to them it’s driven 30+ miles a day. so I the last test which was the best one .
All electrics and charging was fine just battery need a recharge I told them of other garages that I been to and said the same . He then said the battery is on its way out then

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
623 Posts
Due to age and low temperatures battery capacity is much reduced what overall could give 50% or less it genuine performance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts