Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,050 Posts
Yeah I agree but it depends on the age. Of course you may get a call saying the flywheel is also kaput!
Surprised they haven't said that already. A DMF should be good for 100k. Ridiculous that the slave is inside the bell housing. Interesting the diagnosis is contaminated fluid.

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182HP 400Nm (T8MA) MMT6
1,147 Posts
Doesn’t the brakes and clutch share the same fluid on the kuga. ? Seem to recall they do.
That's quite weird because brakes and clutch use the same fluid, but @kbdecor55 haven't got loss of fluid or might be minimal, because clutch pedal sometimes wouldn't go back up. You will never know what have to be changed until you take everything apart. It's quite lots to do, so labour cost will be high due to ammount of bolts to unscrew. If clutch disc it's really contaminated with fluid you have to change it but using small inspection hole on bottom of gearbox you can't really tell it is or not. Gearbox has special design to avoid any contamination in case of leak.

·
Registered
Kuga titanium x sport 2013
130 Posts
Hi I had this fault with my previous car a Tiguan sport. Tried bleeding the system then a new master cylinder . (My garage thought it was dual mass failure but I didn’t) This worked for a while but fault returned so got rid and bought my kuga. A bit later saw my old Tiguan on auto trader and it said new slave cylinder clutch and dual mass flywheel fitted. MY GARAGE WAS RIGHT.

·
Registered
kuga 2.0 lit 2015 ruby red.
37 Posts
MaoVi, if i could go to a independent garage i would do, the only garage near me is a ford/suzuki dealers, my nearest next garage is over a hour away, so would be a two hour travelling time plus waiting to be seen also another two hours + for them to check it in first place, plus adding another 300 miles on clock and fuel costs, we live in the sticks where pretty much everything is scarce its the price i have to pay for having quality of life, no where have i mentioned contaminated fluid its the clutch that will have a light coating on if the slave leaks ( bit of luck that might be ok they give the worse news just in case) they are swapping battery while its out but it wont be a ford one, as had mine in for three and half years, so doing it to save it packing up later, ( my van battery lasted 18 months and had a 3 year warranty,) took it back and was told they have now stopped 3 yrs and only offer 2yrs warranty because of the stop/start system, and the amount of returns. we will see what the outcome is as i have booked the kuga in towards end of january and i will update then. best wishes to everyone for 2022.

·
Registered
2015 TDCi 150 Zetec with all optional extras
129 Posts
The slave, (thrust bearing on a cable clutch(, has to be in the bell housing because it what actually engages and disengages the clutch plate.
The DMF is spring loaded, it prevents clutch grab and judder, making pull away and clutch disengagement smooth. It would only need replacing if there is any kind of clutch judder when pulling away, from anti stall rpm without touching the throttle, to using 1500 - 2000rpm. This is caused by slack in the DMF springs, measured in teeth. If you have no clutch judder, and at 50k, you would not need a DMF. Any mention of grinding of the flywheel or new DMF blah blah blah is horse shite. I know 2.0L CDTi's with 200k - 300k with factory DMF and no clutch judder.

I am too old and been round the block too many times to be replacing clutches, luckily, I have used, know and trust the place who MOT's my motors 40 years, if I was told I need a new DMF, I would need one, but at the same time I would know.
To pre empt being bullshitted to death about DMF Tell whoever does it you have NO clutch judder whatsoever. You can always ask beforehand if they offer flywheel grinding, and if they say yes, tell them it is NOT to be done, if they say it is rubbish, all the better.

Ok, the friction plates wear, but Ford would be having toooooo many back under warranty. I would guess DMF should be good for well over 100k. I would say higher, but the anti stall that raises the rpm I am not too keen on,
The only work that should be carried out is clutch plate, slave, clean & bleed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
devilish yes thats all thats being done, its the friction plate thats being renewed. theres no clutch judder at all, i am happy with the car so will keep it now i have to pay to fix it. having watched youtube about a american doing the gearbox removal of the ford escape ( american kuga) theres no way i would attempt it on my drive.

·
Registered
2015 TDCi 150 Zetec with all optional extras
129 Posts
kb. Dealer is expensive, but at 50k worth the work being done, as you say you are happy with it. 2015 is a good motor, same as SWMBO's. Slave going **** up at that mileage is I hope a flawed unit.
Do you pro actively look after it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
it is maintained by the dealership, its got FSH even got the mot done when we were in lockdown 2020, i only average 5000 a year in it, as i had a van for general running about but sold it when got my pension.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.