Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Hi to everyone...
...I have my 2.5 Kuga Titanium for almost 10 days now.From day 1 I noticed a clunking sound while shifting gears upon clutch releasing,especially from neutral to 1rst and from 1rst to 2nd gear.It seems like it coming from the gearbox itself but not quite sure though.In general comes from below the engine.It's more louder and noticeable from neutral to 1rst upon releasing the clutch and from 1rst to 2nd.From 2nd to 3rd it almost disappears and from then on everything is a o.k.
...Since I havn't any kind of driving experiance with any other Kuga and mine is the only one I've ever ride,I don't know if this is a normal clutch/transmission sound for the 2.5 Petrol Kuga with 6 gear manual gearbox.
...Does anybody else have noticed this or is it something I must be aware of and refer to my dealer?
...Many thanks in advance for any possible help and info to my question.

Nick.

·
Registered
136 Posts
mine is clunky too,
asked the dealer to look at it during my 1500 mile service,

was told there is nothing wrong with the car, and the clunkyness is normal - they all do it?

not good really

·
Registered
34 Posts
fly4ever said:
...Hi to everyone...
...I have my 2.5 Kuga Titanium for almost 10 days now.From day 1 I noticed a clunking sound while shifting gears upon clutch releasing,especially from neutral to 1rst and from 1rst to 2nd gear.It seems like it coming from the gearbox itself but not quite sure though.In general comes from below the engine.It's more louder and noticeable from neutral to 1rst upon releasing the clutch and from 1rst to 2nd.From 2nd to 3rd it almost disappears and from then on everything is a o.k.
...Since I havn't any kind of driving experiance with any other Kuga and mine is the only one I've ever ride,I don't know if this is a normal clutch/transmission sound for the 2.5 Petrol Kuga with 6 gear manual gearbox.
...Does anybody else have noticed this or is it something I must be aware of and refer to my dealer?
...Many thanks in advance for any possible help and info to my question.

Nick.

Exactly the same on my Kuga i've done nearly 1000km (964KM to be exact)

Also my other car does the same when i play with neutral and 1st

Tip you can change gear over 5000RPM and there isnt any clackning :p

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...Just came back home from a night out.I examined the noise more carefully and discovered that it's more noticeable when 2nd gear is involved.Shifting from 1rst to 2nd and back and from 3rd down to 2nd as well.There is a certain kind of "technic" though releasing the clutch to make things better.Somehow like Nasos said,if you make the shifting in a slightly advanced RPM the clunking is barely noticeable especialy if you try to be "gentle" with the clutch.But it's true:playing with the clutch in low RPM even during the same gear the sound is evident.It seems like there is somekind (or something) of loose from gearbox itself and the axles,I don't know.It's also correct that playing with the same gear and the clutch, the "clunk" is more obvious.
...I examined also my 2.0 petrol Focus earlier today and everything is normal there.Under any situation it was impossipble to "reproduce" the sound.
...On Monday I'll contact my dealer about that and see what 'll happen.Let's hope it'll find its way out at the end.I'll keep u posted
...Again thanks for your posts.It's a great deal of help to know that not only my Kuga doing this.

Nick.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Sorry Moggith Clunking gears, have to say I have not experienced that so far, Hi Undertaker I wouldn't say it was a lovely gearchange because for me the gearbox selection gatesarevery narrow compared with previous vehicle (still new early days) and when youput your foot on the gas as some will confirmits odd because response is a bit dead, drive by wire? yes I knowpreviousvehicles "drive by wire" but the Ford is not quite as quick or responsive you seem to have to put your foot down a lot more which if you don't get it quite rightI suspect that could cause gears to crunch? Go back to dealer if unsure, Don't leave it too long if you are unhappy, drive another Kuga there, or get someone to drive yours while you are sat in passenger seat Don't let technician go out on his own, and then tell you No mate, cannot find anything wrong, he's drivenloads, you have not, it's your car and you want some reassurance that thereare no problems. Be Quick. Bob.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Bob i find the gear change very smooth,lot better than the rav 4,my wife now has,i found the mondeo i had very smooth as well,my only surprise is you cannot start off in second gear like you can in other diesel cars,stalled the car a couple of times in first till i got use to it

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello everyone

I have the same problem awith gearbox
its difficult to insert the behint gear ant also from the first to the 2cont gear,

i brought it same times to the dealer and they informed me tha is normal,I have driven other kuga and thegearbox behaviouris the same as mine,

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi all
We have got new cars here, we should not be thinking and comparing thoughts about whether gears should clunk or not. We have been making gearboxes for a hundred years, they should be "perfect".

I didn't get on with my gearbox when I first had my Kuga, this was because I was driving and changing as if it was my old focus. When I got used to it everything was fine. Of course you have to get used to the lack of torque in low revs ( no starting off in second)but the gearbox is fine and no clunks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...Gdday to everyone here...
I drove my father's Freelander the other day and there was the same clunking sound shifting gears,especially the lower ones (1rst,2nd,3rd).Though I'm not quite sure,I'm thinking if this a common item with almost any 4X4 car.It could be from the joint where the front transmission couples the rear wheel's axle.I'm not sure also if this something common for all 2.5 Petrol Kuga 200ps only and not the Diesel version of the car.Maybe the power which is high enough (upon gear shifting) making the joint to start turning in a rather violent way producing this clunking sound.That would explain why it is heard especially in the low gears where the transmitting power is even higher to the joint momentarily.
...Anyway,today I would give it a try with the dealer and like bobuptown said I'll ask him to drive another Kuga there to see what'll happen.
...On the other hand I don't want to believe that there might be somekind of problem with Kugas sold only in Greece though assuming that Nasos as well as Antonis are from Greece, like me.But then again,Moggith should have bought a car destinated for Greek market which I think is rather unlikely to happen!

Nick.

·
Registered
439 Posts
mine clunks where as my 8 year Ka doesnt and to be honest I've had many Fords of variousmodels and the Kuga's the worst

·
Registered
385 Posts
waz1 sorry to here about your gearbox,i find mine a very smooth gear change,and the car is getting better get it back to the dealer asap,went to newbrighton today got 46mpg on the motorway,saw a blue kuga 08 reg zetec in the harvestor pub carpark,then passed a sea grey kuga 58plate with two ladys driving it did not wave as my wife was sitting next to me and she would not understand the kuga wave she would just think i was waving because they are the girls

·
Registered
34 Posts
The kuga has very Smooth and Very precise Gear box range from 1 to 6th gear!

Sometimes it has problem selecting reverse and sometime has the clunking sound when you release the clutch and you have 1st gear !

My Opel GT 2008 (it doesnt exist in UK) and all other GT has the same sound from its Gear Box ..and much much more Obvious !

Its the way the car is designed !

I believe that Gear boxes that are designed to handle more NM's

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...As I grow older I'm learning better...That's an ancient saying here in Greece,the Greek guys over here are surely aware of it...
...I believe it's a matter of habit at the bottom line...In which way someone has used to drive and use the clutch/transmission for that matter.The 2 wheelers has a different system compared to 4 wheelers,that's a fact.My 2.0 liter Focie is unable to "produce" that sound as it's unable to do so many other things my new Kuga does with ease.I drove an "of-the-shelf" brand new Kuga yesterday at my dealer's shop and the sound was there too. Probably might be some Kugas out there with a somewhat stiffener design at that point, behaving in a better way while shifting gears.That for sure wont means the car is problematic,right?Like Nasos said it's just the way the car is designed !Not only this specific one but almost every 4 wheeler in the market.

...In my own humble opinion if that sound stay there and wont evolve in something worse, it''s allright by me and I can live with it.Furthermore and apart from that, I think Kuga it's a great car and soon enough will have me hooked making me I can not live without.

Nick.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I found what you say correct !

here is a tip

As i only hear the sound only when i am in 1st gear and i press the clutch to change or to go to Neutral

If you stop pressing thethrottle a moment before you press the clutch there isn't any clunking sound !!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Naso for the tip...!I'll give it a try leaving my office today afternoon...!
I thank also every other forum member for its posts here.

...Let's hit the roads (as well as the off-roads) and start some serious driving now...

Nick.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Fly4ever I dont agree with what you say about almost every 4 wheeler being like this. I drive a new Toyota Hilux at work and it doesnt clunk changing gears, in fact its very smooth. I drive tractors all day and they evenhave asmoother gear changethan the Kuga!

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello again,

I drovechevrolet captiva and the gear box sound from first to the second gear sometimes is te some as ours,and also some other diesel make this but not all the time, i thing is under some sircumenstances that we have to find so this proplem will solve..

Nick please explain me the tip in greec if is possible to understand it better,thanks,(my email [email protected]

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...That's why I said "almost", WAZ1 my friend...Maybe I should stating also "as far as I know and be aware of"...Please excuse my small 4x4 experience...
Like I said before,"As I grow older I'm learning better".

Have a nice day

Nick.

Edited by: fly4ever

1 - 20 of 39 Posts