Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Kuga has 3 of these, front, behind front seats and in the boot space. It was my belief that the one in the boot space was 'active' regardless as to whether the ignition was on..( I had a very bad experience of leaving a cool box plugged in all night).

however i've had my satnav plugged in to the front one and I noticed it stayed on after I'd turned the ignition off, so are all three always 'live' ?

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I have a timer that is set to 2 hours in line with the supply for the coolbox, just to prevent such an occurrence. It is triggered ON from the interior light supply so its running while driving and it will go off when the interior lights supply times out on the battery saver. If I want to have it running for the 2 hours (variable too BTW) I simply press a button which latches the timer/relay in for 2 hours while we go off walking etc. Uses a 12V programmable timer/relay. If anyone's interest in assembling one I put the circuit diagram up on the forum, programable timer costs about £30

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a timer that is set to 2 hours in line with the supply for the coolbox, just to prevent such an occurrence. It is triggered ON from the interior light supply so its running while driving and it will go off when the interior lights supply times out on the battery saver. If I want to have it running for the 2 hours (variable too BTW) I simply press a button which latches the timer/relay in for 2 hours while we go off walking etc. Uses a 12V programmable timer/relay. If anyone's interest in assembling one I put the circuit diagram up on the forum, programable timer costs about £30
That sounds a good set up but while I knew the boot power supply was constant I left the cool box all night without thinking it would absolutely drain the very last drop from the battery. So much so there wasn't enough power to open the door locks, and the ignition display was dimmed to nothing..the battery was trashed and I had to be towed away and have a new battery installed..a costly experience. I suppose I thought there was a leisure battery running this, or something..but tbh I trusted too much in it being 'ok', which in the end was my own daft fault..I don't have a cool box anymore so I'm not tempted to repeat this nightmare..

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
What is wrong with modern batteries!
You said that the battery was trashed after leaving the cool box on all night. We’ve all left something at some point but usually after a boost off or a charge , it’s been back to normal.
So many people tho have had battery issues lately. I know being stood a long time has an effect, but if we “TOCK -TICK “ back in time, it was so simple. Apart from the cars lights etc, you had a radio and no other gizmos to drain the battery.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Yeh, our coolbox draws 6 amps without engine running so with the 80ah battery I wouldn't trust it for more than 4 hours so overnight is a killer.

Phill, in theory the battery should last 80/6 hours but you need the reserve to turn the engine over, but I guess you could get away with taking 60ah out of the battery, so that's 10 hours providing the battery is fully charged and how do we know that, stop start gives an indication the battery is at least 80% charged. All theoretical though..

Modern batteries don't really like deep discharge particularly sustained.

·
Super Moderator
554 Posts
Yeh, our coolbox draws 6 amps without engine running so with the 80ah battery I wouldn't trust it for more than 4 hours so overnight is a killer.

Phill, in theory the battery should last 80/6 hours but you need the reserve to turn the engine over, but I guess you could get away with taking 60ah out of the battery, so that's 10 hours providing the battery is fully charged and how do we know that, stop start gives an indication the battery is at least 80% charged. All theoretical though..

Modern batteries don't really like deep discharge particularly sustained.
...and you shouldn't discharge the battery below 50%,so take no more than 40Ah out of an 80Ah battery...

The coolbox being discussed is obviously a Peltier effect (thermoelectric) fridge, which are terribly inefficient. I have a compressor based coolbox on the boat, and it draws 4A WHEN RUNNING, but only runs for 4 minutes 3 times an hour. That means the average continuous drain is 0.8A...

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Yep its a Peltier effect fridge which gets down to 16 degrees below ambient. Nice for keeping the salad and drinks cool in a warm car while we have a walk

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I’ve just written a detailed report to Ford UK and put forward an revolutionary idea that they have a crank handle. If they utilised the jack handle, they could go though the right front side wing to be in line with the crankshaft. On the Vignale models they could upgrade this to a compressed style injection motor to turn the motor over using the small CO2 cartridges.
Or use shotgun cartridges like in the film “flight of the Phoenix “.

Fancy going into the Ford dealer, “can of engine oil and some shotgun shells please”

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
Or use shotgun cartridges like in the film “flight of the Phoenix “

Cracking film although the re-make was dreadful.

·
Super Moderator
554 Posts
Ah... that reminds me of the Field Marshall tractors... How's this for a long starting process

Link

There's another fascinating place with odd ball diesels, with some interesting start methods e.g. hot bulb...

Prickwillow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts