Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kuga 1.5 diesel, titanium, blue, manual
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He guys and gals, thank you for admitting to your club!

I am looking for some advice on a MK2 Kuga, 2017 plate.

I need to replace the electronic handbrake lever, which means I need to remove the centre console - anybody done this before or have any tips please?

Many thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,022 Posts
He guys and gals, thank you for admitting to your club!

I am looking for some advice on a MK2 Kuga, 2017 plate.

I need to replace the electronic handbrake lever, which means I need to remove the centre console - anybody done this before or have any tips please?

Many thanks
To remove the centre console assuming the procedure is the same in the mk2 facelift as the mk2.5 you need to do this.

Remove the chrome bezel from around the gear lever. If you start from the front from the dashboard side and gently push towards the gear lever to undo the first row of clips and the the ones at the side.
You will see two torx screws which hold the front part of the console down.
Lift up the cover on the centre console storage and see if there are two more screws holding the rear part. Mine didn't have any but some do.
It should now just unclip from the back and pull up.

Disconnect the 12v cig cable and electric park cable.

Obviously yours is slightly different to mine as you have the electric handbrake where mine is manual. I assume your doesn't have any screws where the cup holders are.

Reactions: Psshaw

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To remove the centre console assuming the procedure is the same in the mk2 facelift as the mk2.5 you need to do this.

Remove the chrome bezel from around the gear lever. If you start from the front from the dashboard side and gently push towards the gear lever to undo the first row of clips and the the ones at the side.
You will see two torx screws which hold the front part of the console down.
Lift up the cover on the centre console storage and see if there are two more screws holding the rear part. Mine didn't have any but some do.
It should now just unclip from the back and pull up.

Disconnect the 12v cig cable and electric park cable.

Obviously yours is slightly different to mine as you have the electric handbrake where mine is manual. I assume your doesn't have any screws where the cup holders are.
Thank you, I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on!

Many thanks

·
Mr. Forgetful
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
1,739 Posts
Blimey! What happened there?

Did you try an extreme handbrake turn into the Co-Op car park :p

Reactions: SiJY

·
Registered
Kuga 1: 2017 Titanium Moondust Silver 1.5 Ecoboost. Kuga 2: 2016 Zetec Frozen White 1.5 Ecoboost.
85 Posts
Funny enough mine has broken too. First developed a crack then broke off. Been like that a wee while now and just never got around to looking into fixing it yet so interesting to see its not just me.

Op, did you get a replacement switch from Ford? Do you mind me asking part number on it and how much to expect to pay as I suppose I really should get on with it and get mine done too.

It'll be at least the weekend before I can do anything with mine though. If you do have a go at it before then please let us know how you get on with it.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Light

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have seen these available 2nd hand for between £30-£40, a new one from Ford is over £200!

We found cracks in the lever, and then eventually it just pinged off! Looking at how they are made it's no surprise.

Will let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
My other car is a Cougar.
216 Posts

·
Registered
Kuga 1: 2017 Titanium Moondust Silver 1.5 Ecoboost. Kuga 2: 2016 Zetec Frozen White 1.5 Ecoboost.
85 Posts
Fair bit more expensive than I had imagined. I'm sure I remember when it was said of Ford, plenty cheap parts available and cheap to run and fix etc. Think I'll maybe just need to manage with mine as it is for a wee while yet!

·
Registered
My other car is a Cougar.
216 Posts
Used ones; £30.00:

£20.00:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good spot. Wasn't sure about a used one in case it's a weakness on them and happened again before long. But such is the price difference definitely worth trying used.

Had seen this written in reply to someone else with same issue on the other club when mine originally happened and looked into it some months ago.

Font Circle Number Document Screenshot

Anyone know if that info is correct and think it would be likely for the car to even know its a new switch if its disconnected and a genuine Ford new one plugged in its place while vehicle ignition is all switched off?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having read all your replies I'm now a little nervous abut replacing this - more in case it doesn't work afterwards! Currently it works fine with part of the handle broken off - however I'm not sure if that would still constitute an MOT failure.

Ford want over £500 to replace it! I agree with the last comment - time to get the airfix modelling glue out!

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,022 Posts
Good spot. Wasn't sure about a used one in case it's a weakness on them and happened again before long. But such is the price difference definitely worth trying used.

Had seen this written in reply to someone else with same issue on the other club when mine originally happened and looked into it some months ago.

View attachment 12056

Anyone know if that info is correct and think it would be likely for the car to even know its a new switch if its disconnected and a genuine Ford new one plugged in its place while vehicle ignition is all switched off?
I would leave the handbrake off and disconnect the battery before disconnecting the switch. If the electric parking brake can be activated without the ignition on then I guess the car would know if the switch had been disconnected.

£500 seems excessive by ford. If the switch is circa £200 their labour rate is well over estimated. It's a 5 minute job to remove the top part of the console. Ask them for an itemised breakdown of the cost. It may make for interesting reading.

The problem with others people's issues like the one you referred to is that you don't know if they have followed a correct procedure such as disconnecting the battery as an example.

Reactions: ScotKuga
1 - 13 of 13 Posts