Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
401 - 416 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Off to llanduno for a couple of days (yippee) so no more on bike until return, hopefully it will start first touch ( wishful thinking)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
Having just adjusted clutch lever (with flap disc) I may also have found intermittent non sparking, because the throw on the lever wasn't enough it barely made contact with the safety switch, which stops you starting it in gear, this may well teach me to use the correct lever in the first place, I don't know if it should stop it firing or stops it turning over? Llanduno in the morning, hope the weather stays dry!!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 · (Edited)
I suppose it's too late to tell him to be careful about the weight , them xv can be kinda heavy, he's got a great career in front of him, good luck to him and best wishes, if he takes after his dad he'll not go wrong, don't let him be a school teacher, both my daughters are and I wouldn't do their job for twice the money, it's more a vocation than a job, certainly not for the money with the amount of hours they have to put in

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,620 Posts
Yep, my wife is a SEN (Special Educational Needs) teacher and they do take the pee with the wages..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #406 ·
Kiethmac your wife deserves a medal!!. Fingers crossed bike getting better, started first touch, but only on front cylinder, after about 4-5 minutes then both, I must annoy neighbor's a bit more LOL!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 ·
Just been annoying neighbor's again (only kidding) started first touch, but as usual only on front cylinder until a bit warmed up, cured dragging clutch but now I realise front brake feels a bit spongy, I've put new braided hose and bled quite a while ago, but having not been far (another 3/4 mile) I'm not sure that this is normal for a 1980's bike? I thought I'd annoyed an old person, at first glance it looked like he was shaking his fist at me, but no, he was giving me the thumbs up!!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I'd be tempted to check spark again on problem cylinder.

With the plug cap removed the HT lead should give a good blue spark that can jump a 15mm+ gap to the frame.

I've been caught out a few times, most recently my sons MT-5 where the spark looked acceptable but no enough to jump the plug in the cylinder.

I fitted a brand new Stator to that due to lighting coil failure but you can't take being new as being good for granted as a 2nd hand Denso stator repaired my lads bike in the end.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 ·
Many thanks kiethmac, I really appreciate your input and advice, I will try it, I did follow your advice on the front cylinder(and it worked),but never thought about doing it on rear (DOH)!!! Now you've pointed it out I feel a bit stupid for not thinking of it before!!! Just as a bit of an update on front brake, I will remove caliper and recheck piston and bleed again (just to be sure).Many thanks again Ian

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 ·
Brake caliper piston has been pumped in and out a few times and seems to be moving freely, bled again, But how lucky was I since I'd rebuilt it before I never tightened the bolts up and they were only finger tight, lucky escape for me, glad I only annoyed neighbor's twice and never went above 3rd gear, ps good job your lad has a superior mechanic for a dad

·
Super Moderator
890 Posts
Brake caliper piston has been pumped in and out a few times and seems to be moving freely, bled again, But how lucky was I since I'd rebuilt it before I never tightened the bolts up and they were only finger tight, lucky escape for me, glad I only annoyed neighbor's twice and never went above 3rd gear, ps good job your lad has a superior mechanic for a dad
ALWAYS... finish the individual job... You won't do that again!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 ·
Thanks for reminding me, but I must say I'm the kind of guy that when I've finished with a spanner etc, it goes back to where it came from so the next time I want it I know where it is, obviously my brain is older than I think LOL, I was a bit surprised/shocked to find the bolts loose, who knows how it could of ended??? I will take this as a reminder (kick up the proverbial)not to do it again !! Do one job once and do it well,then probably you won't have to do it again!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·
I removed plug cap and held ht lead with insulted pliers at least 10mm gap to head, big bright blue spark, so no problem there. Changed for a different spark plug, nice spark across plug electrodes, spark plug which came out of rear cylinder (after starting on front only) was damp with petrol, so I think I've eliminated coils and plugs , still got same symptoms as before ie runs on front cylinder only for a few mins then rear kicks in,seems a bit lumpy on tickover and sometimes will die,but restarts at first touch with a little throttle, any thoughts?, Ian

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Sounds like it maybe weaping fuel past the rear float valve. To be honest when it's not running it shouldn't supply any fuel to the carbs, is it vacuum tap and fuel pump (can't remember that far back?).

I did 2 Bandit 1200's on the trot where the vacuum tap had failed, entire tank of fuel had decanted into the sump!. The float valves aren't meant to stop fuel when in storage.

10mm gap with bright blue spark is more than good enough 👍

My lads MT-5, we've finished all the wiring now, got a pair of wheels to go in and bit of painting to do.

He did a few practice starts up and down the garden today!.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #415 ·
Tap has ON, PRIME, RESERVE, before fitting tap I did a very basic vac test on tap (bit of pipe on outlet and suck) couldn't suck in ON or RESERVE position but could in PRIME so I presume it was OK, rear plug got wet after running on front only, so I guess it got wet because it wasn't firing? My old friend and I started in the woods at the back of his house on a Ducati 50cc, I think he bought it for £20 which when you are 13/14 years old was quite a bit of money (about 45years ago) eventually the magneto lost it's magnetism and then wouldn't start, don't know what happened to it then, but I'd bet it would be worth a fortune now!!!! Good luck with the Honda, better to get some practice on a soft surface first and work up to road rash, only kidding, but we've all been there, good luck with bike, it's looking good!!

·
Registered
2019 ST Line Edition AWD 180 Diesel
250 Posts
Sounds like it maybe weaping fuel past the rear float valve. To be honest when it's not running it shouldn't supply any fuel to the carbs, is it vacuum tap and fuel pump (can't remember that far back?).

I did 2 Bandit 1200's on the trot where the vacuum tap had failed, entire tank of fuel had decanted into the sump!. The float valves aren't meant to stop fuel when in storage.

10mm gap with bright blue spark is more than good enough 👍

My lads MT-5, we've finished all the wiring now, got a pair of wheels to go in and bit of painting to do.

He did a few practice starts up and down the garden today!.

View attachment 8105
WOW that takes me back a good few years lol lol i had the ER50 (showing my age now )

401 - 416 of 416 Posts