Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
381 - 400 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
Still in isolation so I thought I'd start the bike up, Oh how I laughed when it didn't start, plugs out and were wet, so not fuel, check for spark, no spark!!!! I've had this problem once before and never found what it was, checked a few connections, no problems found, so checked some more, still nothing found, just about to call it a day then for no reason it started sparking!!!! Hmmm must put my thinking head on and start looking deeper at it. I think it was kiethmac who suggested a gremlin of sorts the last time it wouldn't spark, Ian

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #382 ·
Can't find anything wrong with electrics, so I put plugs back in and it fires up first touch, still the problem of the rear cylinder not firing until it's been running a few mins, once warmed up runs nice and ticks over nice (1200rpm). No rear tyre/tank/seat yet so I can't ride it and give it a bit of a run. Ian

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
As you may know my bike is an American unregistered import, I have NOVA paperwork and receipt of payment from former owner, I'm fairly sure it's got to be MOTed but does it need insurance? or anything else, I know it's a V55/5 form to fill in for DVLA , needs age certificate also, where would I get one? Ian

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,578 Posts
You don't need it insured for MOT if you trailer it there, you do need a dating certificate or proof of first use to show when the MOT is logged on though (it will be MOTd with no registration).

We had a few imported Lambrettas etc and they have had dating certificates that has been supplied by the president of the owners club. DVLA/ DVSA is best to ask really.

I did a rare scooter a while back and a chap came round to inspect it and make sure it was as describe.

As for additives I'd put a tank of Shell's best petrol through it (used to be Vpower iirc), it has plenty of cleaning additives in it. Never been a fan of Redex personally.

Your intermittent spark could be many things, you need to check voltage to the igniter and coils when it has a no spark. If it has two pickup coils it's very unlikely both have failed at the same time.

Not really seen many electrical issues on the XV535's apart from failing regulator rectifiers (causing flat battery do to poor charging voltage when running).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info kiethmac much appreciated, I know I have to tax it at the same time as registering, I still have to get a battery yet,but it's almost ready for the road, I've not tested the non original petcock yet, the only original petcock I've seen in over 9 months was over £300!!!! obviously very rare!!! I think it's the only bike it was ever fitted to because of the 50mm centre's of mounting bolts, I've put a lot of thought into it and hopefully got it right. Very snug fit and some mods but nothing irreversible when (if) an original becomes available, I will try the Shell V power or equivalent. Would VIN number and sticker on headstock provide enough evidence of age for MOT? It does have date of manufacture on sticker, regards Ian ps too intermittent electrical fault to
check any components reliably, but will try. Pps I like the look of the new GB350 Honda single

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
Tank on, seat on, tyres on, petrol in, all ready to press start, OH NO whats that smell and small puddle on garage floor, you've guessed it, fuel leak!! Let down by cheap nasty Chinese inline filter , it had actually fell in half, I suppose that will teach me not to go cheap, being it's the only one I've got and wanting to fire it up, a quick super glue back together and then replace with better one at a later date (not too long), having cured leak now unfortunately refuses to start, fuel getting through, spark, compression, no firing, I feel it just needs a good run ( when it starts) anyway I'm going to Norfolk for a little holiday so I'll leave it alone and hope mechanic fairy will fix it LOL!!!! Ian

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
Hi anyone, had lovely time in Norfolk, thanks for asking, obviously home now so back to bike. New battery fitted, turned on fuel Dam and Blast Chinese filter let me down again!! Now lies at the bottom of the bin, the only piece of old fuel pipe, about an inch long, starts leaking also, that also followed filter to the trash, so fingers crossed and a prayer to M/C gods I press the start button, bloody mechanic fairy failed me!! No starting ,trying to fire etc but fails to run, not sure whether to strip down again or take to scrap yard LOL, anyway too hot to be messing with it at the moment, not wanting to repeat myself but if I could just get it to start I'd give it a thrash around the block, Ian

·
Super Moderator
2,547 Posts
Wait until after the weekend mate, predicted to be a fair bit cooler so tolerance for things mechanical will be better. ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 ·
Yeah, thanks nigelb ,think you're right, just chillin after bbq, red wine etc, I will try and give it more thought over night,though the wine might win LOL!!! Cheers!!! Ian ps best regards to everyone!!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Been working on a 1979 Suzuki GS550E today, apparently it's never run properly, customer had fitted a carb kit not long back..

Floats were all bent, float heights a mile out and to top it all off some numpty had managed to snap a pilot air screw tip off into the carb body (a long while ago by the look of it). Borrowed my wife's sewing needles to push it out after a lot of heating.

Repaired a complete mess of electrical wiring and rebuilt his brake calipers. New clutch as well.

He'd paid a fair wedge already at two other bike shops, how they could let it leave the shop in the state it was in is anyones guess..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
Good morning kiethmac, do you always get the interesting jobs? I would imagine you get a lot of satisfaction when the jobs roll out the door knowing you've sorted it good and proper. Unfortunately the red wine won last night so no more thought went into my bike. On the plus side my peppers and tomatoes are looking good, got 3 cars to MOT in the next 10 day's so that might keep me busy!(daughters and wife's) Ian

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,807 Posts
You will be making one of our other members jealous with the mentioning of red wine. Remember that the motorcycle and powershift guru does not live too far from you.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've got a 1980 CB900, a 1981 CB750, a custom Z1000 (1978?), an early eighties Superdream 400, the GS550E and a few others in at the moment.

All of them have had carb work and plenty of other bits and pieces.

The KR1-S is coming back in to have all it's freshly painted panels fitted in next couple of weeks.

I've got a 1198 Duacti in for Generator replacement and a load of other bikes for diagnostic work.

Bloomin busy!.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #399 ·
Thanks kiethmac, just a shame it doesn't like starting!!!! Front mud guards got a bit of pitting on chrome and front indicators are from xv535, other very minor cosmetic bits, but I think that's to be expected on a near 40 year old, could do with better L/H side panel though and clutch lever's not correct one but does work perfectly well, I still don't know whether to keep it cos it is a tad small for me, so I don't want to keep spending on it and not get any return, Ian

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #400 · (Edited)
Well finally after a reluctant start I managed to get to ride it around the block, twice, about 3/4 of a mile, I must say I was very impressed, pulls really well and never missed a beat, Okay it's early days so let's not run before we can walk, nevertheless I am a happy bunny at the moment. Clutch dragging slightly probably due to wrong lever not having enough throw, minor problem. I will keep positive and try to get out around the block another day soon and fingers crossed it may cure the reluctant start, plus I don't want to annoy my neighbor's by constant circuits. Ian ps I live on an estate which has a lot of bungalows with old people some of which are grumpy old gits and some are very pleasant

381 - 400 of 405 Posts