Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
341 - 360 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 ·
I like your thinking smartguy, they certainly look the same, but if they can be swapped I don't know, bit of a faff removing, swapping and refitting, but if other avenues don't work then it's a great idea. Thank you so much for a bit af latteral thinking, regards Ian

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,810 Posts
Was just thinking that if you swapped the carbs and front was ok and back wasn't then you have found your problem.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,578 Posts
You can't swap them over due to the linkages etc.

They could be massively out of balance, have you got a picture of the throttle linkage just for a look?.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Maybe fit the whole carb assy 180 degrees out like smartguy69 mentioned, genuinely don't know if they would physically fit that way round though (float bowls to the rhs of bike).

Don't split the carbs, they are handed and will only fit together one way round.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #345 · (Edited)
Thanks for clearing that up, interesting idea though, carbs are a tight fit the correct way around so at 180 it seems unlikely but until you try ( another day). Not had jet block off yet, but checking gaskets is a good idea. New jet block is in rear carb, could be an idea to swap them over? I know mains are different, old block in front carb has not been abused and is thought to be good, but who knows? Maybe try something in the morning (if I'm allowed) she who must be obeyed wants to go shopping. PS the only thing different in carbs should be mains and needles, its remotely possible they might have got switched (not likely) ,but would that cause this problem? I think not, but then I've been wrong many times before

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
Swapped jet blocks, now only running on front cylinder with full choke !!! Obviously its its something in the jet block, only thing I can think of is pilot jet, it appears to be clear,blows through with carb cleaner, but I can't check it because I stuffed up the slot in the jet and can't remove it, maybe careful drill out and replace?

·
5,810 Posts
Sound like you are getting there.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·
Yeah hope so smartguy, maybe I'll get left hand twist drill, around 3mm, and drill/extract jet, something I have to think about. Not sure which way to go for the best. I don't want to wreck anything else, I'll let you know what happens. Regards Ian

·
5,810 Posts
If it's any consolation I have had similar issues with some projects to a point where you wish you hadn't started and then it gets worse, and then before you know it, it's mission accomplished.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #350 ·
I hope you're right, just ordered 3mm left hand drill bit and new pilot jet, should be here for the weekend, I will very carefully drill into old jet( about5mm) and fingers crossed it will release it, the jet sits in about 20mm inside a 6mm hole so you can't see what you are doing

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #351 ·
Left handed drill bit arrived, drilled into old jet and it came out easily, no damage to jet block/holder, Yippee, a bit on the down side is that the old jet appears to be ok except where I drilled into it, new jet arriving at weekend. Jet block/holder all passages/holes/orifices clear :unsure:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #353 ·
New pilot jet in and guess what.......... nothing!!!!! occasional fire when hand over bellmouth, I don't know what's wrong, but it's got to be some sort of fuelling issue, my hand comes away wet with fuel and there is an occasional firing, I'm guessing I've missed something in the carbs, but can't think what, they've been apart that many times it's become a joke, must try harder

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Still front cylinder? Or did it move to rear cylinder when you swapped jet blocks?.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·
Yeah , swapped jet blocks front to rear and problem followed, so the only thing I could see was possibly the pilot jet which I could not confirm as good since I stuffed up the screwdriver slot and therefore could no longer remove so i purchased a lefthand 3mm drill bit and new pilot jet, all sorted with no damage to jet block, all put back together after making sure of no blockages etc, now I get occasional fire if I put an obstruction over the bellmouth ( small aluminium plate) the plate when removed is wet, plugs look damp (not wet) . Any thoughts? Sorry for being a pain in the backside

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #356 ·
Ok, so all back together again, very reluctant to start but no carb cleaner needed, once warmed up it runs sweet, occasional "chuff" from front carb when opening throttle, any thoughts?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 ·
Thanks kiethmac, I've still got quite a bit more to do before it's roadworthy, tyres/ paint job/ register/MOT etc, having said that I'm sure (ish) that you are absolutely right, it just needs using. As said in my last post when warmed up it runs pretty good, bit of fine tuning here and there and fingers crossed should end up a solid little bike .I'm not sure when that will be, but will keep posting with any significant progress. I cannot Express my gratitude enough for all the help you and others have given me, I've certainly learned a lot about carbs and trying to restore something I thought would be easier than it was, even though it was only carbs, the rest was fairly simple (cleaning/polishing/freeing off seized parts etc). Many thanks to all contributors to this thread. PS has anybody got any ideas for a satnav exchange for my standard radio/cd ( ooh Kuga related chit chat) Thanks Ian

·
5,810 Posts
Have a look here.

@Cookieman

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 ·
Hi smartguy, thanks for the links, looks like its fairly straightforward, that particular head unit looks good, but more than I wanted to pay. Not really got the time to look into it yet, just fitting bathroom floor and spotted leaky shower cubicle, I've disturbed a tile while fitting doors and not noticed, so everything on hold till that's cured

341 - 360 of 405 Posts