Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

321 - 340 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,519 Posts
I have an XV535 in at the moment and that starts with full choke, no throttle.

Starting with carb cleaner then dieing sounds like a lean condition (engine using the carb cleaner as fuel until it's run out).

Does still sound carb related as you say.

Do the vacuum throttle slides move easily, I've often had to polish the carb housing and slides to stop stiction.

Can you keep it running with small squirts of cleaner?, not ideal but should be ok for fault finding.

It does sound like one of those nightmare jobs unfortunately, we all get them from time to time.

It should start and run with no air filters but won't like big throttle inputs. Should idle and take low throttle though.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You can put your hand over the back of the carbs while cranking, should feel a lot of suction and after 5 seconds or so you should see a fair amount of fuel.

If there is poor/ no suction it's a mechanical issue but would be odd as you've had it running.

Can you post a video up of it cranking over with plugs in?.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Hi kiethmac, I'm sure you are right about it a lean issue, it does exactly as you describe, it will keep running with small squirts, might it be the float levels? Slides move freely and come back smoothly after compressing spring , when it has run they appear to move as they should.I will try the hand on bellmouths vac test, I will post videos but I don't know how, when I can post videos I will also show you the set up I have ie battery/fuel set up. Maybe you might spot something in my set up which to you would be obvious but I can't see the wood for the trees, I know your powers of observation are second to none, please help I'm getting desperate, regards Ian

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
Will now start with full choke but only rear cylinder, front cylinder I don't think is taking any fuel at all, big vacuum pull on front cylinder, rear cylinder not a lot but this is when it's running and it "chokes" it and stalls, obviously front cylinder not firing but rear is, I get the feeling we are close to sorting this out. Regards Ian

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Update, having never liked choke now will only run with choke!!! I think spot on with your diagnostic skills with the lean condition. Videos to follow when I work out how to do it!!! Ps I I must recheck float levels

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 · (Edited)
Hi kiethmac, in your opinion can you tell me the most likely cause of lean issues are, its like the front cylinder is not taking any fuel at all? Loads of vac when hand over bellmouth but not pulling fuel? Ps fuel is getting to carb, I have clear fuel lines and can see it filling, where as the rear cylinder can be seen "drinking " the front cylinder does not ( engine running)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Are the vents clear on the top of the float bowls, this is how the float bowl breathes.

Have you got the diagphrams (number 6 in picture) and are the plungers free to move?.

Really odd, if you can put your hand over front carb inlet cylinder when running it should be covered in fuel after 5 seconds or so, only thing I can think of if you have good suction is there seems to be no fuel in the bowl (but you have confirmed there is).

It should suck fuel directly through the main jet circuit with your hand over the top while running or cranking.

Normally to double check fuel level you would put a clear pipe on float bowl drain and open the drain, but there isn't one on the XV carbs!.

I would say there is no fuel in the front carb or insufficient fuel?.

If it's running on the rear, put your hand over that and see what the front should look like (you will likely flood the rear cylinder doing it mind, may need to clean the plug).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
Your No6 is the coasting enricher and diaphragms not split, plunger goes in and out,can't remember cleaning breathers but I must have done, will check, clear pipe was used at one stage but since used the measuring method, will go back to Clear tube method, don't know why I've gone slopey writing,

·
Super Moderator and Mr Uses Lots of Words
5,391 Posts
Your No6 is the coasting enricher and diaphragms not split, plunger goes in and out,can't remember cleaning breathers but I must have done, will check, clear pipe was used at one stage but since used the measuring method, will go back to Clear tube method, don't know why I've gone slopey writing,
You have caught the I button between the B and U

Reactions: Cookieman

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Do the fuel levels with the pipe, I would leave the tubes on so you can see what the fuel level is during running on the bench.

Do the feed and return lines join into the same chamber inside the carb ( above the fuel needle valve).

The UK XV has a low pressure electric pump and no return lines, your 500 is a bit different (needs the return due to the vacuum pump).

Your bowl vents are open so doubt that would be the problem.

Did you block the vacuum line to the pump?.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
Vacuum pipes all blocked. Fuel returns to tank. Feed and return in same chamber above needle valve. I apologise if these return posts seem disjointed and erratic ,will check float levels asap, special thanks to kiethmac for your patience and research into my problem (ignorance)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
Float levels, the levels are set 12mm down from R/H marked ring, the level can be seen in other ring, these levels in my opinion seems to be correct , any ideas as to why fuel apparently not getting through on front cylinder? Rear level same as seen in pics

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
That looks right and well above the jets so very strange why you aren't getting any fuel delivery to front cylinder (with correct valve timing, good compression and valve clearances in spec).

Maybe worth checking the holes in the new jet block gasket line up with jet block and carb housing but unlikely to be an issue. So front cylinder runs fine with squirts of brake cleaner?.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 ·
Yeah, just this minute tried it, fires up first time with full choke, but only on rear cylinder !!! Sparks with spare plug on outside of cylinder, it may seem stupid but I'm going to check it valve's are moving, there is no loud clanking mechanical noise, so I don't think it's dropped a valve etc, not checked compression today but was good yesterday ,so it seems unlikely, just checking the unlikely because I'm stumped, some fuel does appear to be getting through, but why not firing? Update later if possible will also check jets again, just to be sure , front cylinder does fire with sniff of cleaner, seems to be fuel delivery problems

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
Can see valve's moving up and down through spark plug hole, so it's not that, will check ignition timing next , I can only check timing on rear cylinder, and thats ok. If I manually choke front carb ( hand over bellmouth) it starts firing ,I think that means it's too lean? If so how do I richen it?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 ·
Just tried pilot air Screws adjustment, no difference, to be honest I don't know if it makes any difference when engine cold or if that's the problem at all, still set at 2 turns from soft seat

·
Super Moderator and Mr Uses Lots of Words
5,391 Posts
Are the carbs bespoke to each cylinder or can you swap them over.

321 - 340 of 368 Posts