Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

261 - 280 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
Auto related doors just arrived, but have some more auto related work to do before fitting, bike on back burner (again) but ready to go, float levels set, pilot air Screws set at 2 turns from soft seat, new airfilter, just needs fuel and push the button, fingers crossed etc, will post results when possible

·
Super Moderator and Mr Uses Lots of Words
5,391 Posts
I have some auto related work to do myself at present. Just going to pop in the garage to finish off the insulation on the inside of the roof. Don't ever fit anything with a metal roof unless it's an insulated panel. I thought by putting a DPM in the floor it would help....nah, it didn't so I put another DPM layer down on the concrete and laid 18mm OSB3 on top and fixed it down. That helped a lot but still condensation on the ceiling so it's now nearly covered in polystyrene. I best not do any welding in there lol. Had to fully seal ALL joints and edges to stop any condensation going above the polystyrene. What a pain. Much easier fitting sync 2.

Just to get this back on track I am doing the above so I can move my CBR in there to fully refurb it. Needs to be dry. Hopefully my spare carbs I got off eBay are ok but just a little worried what keithmac said about them not being used for a while. If they are no good then I have a dilemma but Keith is only an hour's drive from me lol and am sure he could make a decent set of four from eight carbs.

If I get the engine running sweet I will do the rest of the bike as it going to need about £500 spending on it to get it tip top.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
Hi DIYman, sounds like you're building a music studio LOL with all that auto related insulation, when I worked at the dairy in Denby Dale many years ago we concreted over glass bottles in the cow sheds so as to insulate the floor so the cows could sleep on a warmer floor, when I say cows I mean cars (it's just a typo mistake what anybody could make) . Did quite abit of insulation up there over the years, a lot of heating/cooling/fridges etc, pity I didn't take a leaf out of their book when trying to insulate my garage LOL, still not got to blke ( yet) but will do. Got new tyre for front, rear tyre shortly, blooming robbers want 15 quid to fit one, I think I'll make myself some more tyre levers and do it myself!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Auto related doors fitted, plain and simple but good quality, should last at least my lifetime, not looked at bike today, maybe tomorrow, been looking at an engine which comes with carbs for xv500, I recon I could do something with the carbs, so kiethmac with 8 to go at would be easy peasy says me who can't get reasonable ones right LOL

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 · (Edited)
"New" airfilter resurrected from old and eaten one! Not tried yet, not sure if it's too much filtration and cause overly rich state, time will tell! (When I get it started) with or without choke! Fingers crossed LOL I've insulted garage door with polystyrene 25mm thick, not really made it much warmer but door now closes with a solid thud rather than a loud CLAAANG!!!

Attachments

·
5,391 Posts
The bigger is best boys don't rate the 25mm as making any difference. I ignored that as my intention was to stop the condensation forming on the roof and never about retaining heat. Polystyrene is waterproof and it worked on the parts I insulated last year.

The mice ate my air filter lol.

Should be making a start on the CBR soon although I tried to move it a few weeks ago and front brakes stuck on now so another job to do.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,519 Posts
Good observation of the bungs, the big bung is as should be, the small bungs tore in half horizontally, half of the bung is still in, the bit of tube you can see is to make sure that what's left of the small bung can't come out,I would say both bungs are sealing, I will make sure they are sealed for definite before refit, but I do think they are a good seal as they are, as for someone being inside before I tend to think you are right and maybe I'll have to get a full set of jets to make sure they are as should be and not just assume it like I have, I know I haven't damaged them but someone else may have,I have looked at manual and see the mains should be 140 and 135, the jet I can read is 145, the other smaller jet appears older and unreadable. I have had it running and revving in the past, I know these faults and problems do not help but would it stop it from starting on choke? when I can get it up to working temperature it seems to run fairly good, starting at a touch of the button, I have not ridden it yet so can't comment on performance of carbs under load,I am positively listening to your advice and I know how difficult it is to advise someone over messages and hands on is the best way but I am learning, probably the hard way but nevertheless I am, with many thanks to your patience/understanding /superb advice, for you to take the time and effort to help me, I wouldn't be where I am now without it. I know you're not the only poster offering advice and by no means do I wish to disrespect them either, every morsel of advice is taken on board and acted upon if relevant, many thanks to all, sincerely Ian
Ps this is not the end
Pps all minor faults/bodges will be rectified when running satisfactorily
Just make sure the bungs haven't ridden up and blocked the feed hole!.

I'm doing a set of carbs now and the bungs have grown enough to block the feed holes (good old ethanol fuel eh!).

Thinking of making some caps as they are not available any more.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Hi, smartguy make sure you've got enough air circulation to stop damp/condensation if possible. What's left of the bung is a good seal and will be replaced with something better when I get it running satisfactorily, they are only temporary for now, it also could do with new rubber carb mounts, they are cracking / perishing but still useable, ie not leaking (yet)! Another job to do when bike running, among others jobs, ie tyres/paint/etc.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Tried starting earlier, nothing, just turns over and over, swapped jet holder blocks (front to rear) checked all jets, all clear tried starting again, nothing, just turns over and over, checked resistance in coils and all good, if I could post a video you can see big fat spark, fuel getting through but don't know if right mixture, plugs more wet than damp probably because of not firing, tried choke, no different, new filter on and off,no different, did get the loudest bang I have ever heard when given sniff of carb cleaner, still not running

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
The numbers I can see on other than main jets don't match anything in manual, I shall have to get "standard jet pack" and hope it comes with correct jets

·
5,391 Posts
Do you have a jeweller's eye glass. I would be lost without mine, much better than two sets of reading glasses.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,519 Posts
NRP Carbs is your best bet, a full Keyster rebuild kit is £26 per carb, not worth messing about really.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Hi, it's not my vision that's the problem, the numbers do not exist on one of the main jets. Other numbers don't match the manual, in Tesco at moment, update later

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 · (Edited)
Hi kiethmac, the NRP stuff, does it include everything ie all jets and gaskets etc, the web site is a little unclear

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
Hi smartguy, the numbers which I can read bear no resemblance to the manual, I'm not saying they are wrong, but you can't say if they are not another manufacturer's identification for the same thing but they number/letter differently, confused !!!!!!!🤪

·
5,391 Posts
Hi smartguy, the numbers which I can read bear no resemblance to the manual, I'm not saying they are wrong, but you can't say if they are not another manufacturer's identification for the same thing but they number/letter differently, confused !!!!!!!🤪
About time for a trip to York I think. The suspense is killing me.

Re: ventilation. My garage roof was running with condensation before I had fitted the up and over door lol. Being in a south facing garden possibly doesn't help. Fully insulated now roof now. The cold moist air destroyed my mdf shelves. All replaced now with heavy duty weldmesh.

Reactions: Cookieman

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
Hi kiethmac, I already have 90% of that from my other rebuild kit, although I can't zoom in to get a clear pic, 1 item looks like choke plunger, but I can't tell, I think I am only looking for mains (135 and 140) and maybe starter jets and pilot jet. Please tell me if I'm wrong. I will post a picture of what is already replaced.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
These are the old bits not all "O" rings showing , bike manufactured 1982 but is called 1983 model, both carbs

261 - 280 of 368 Posts