Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

241 - 260 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Good evening smartguy, yes its an import, I'm not even sure you could get them in our country, although they were available in most of Europe and Australia to mention but a few

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Please ignore screw head in pic of main jet , much tighter than I thought, untill it was to late, we learn by our mistakes and I've learned a lot in the last few weeks LOL

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,445 Posts
I'd set pilot air screws at 2.5 turns out and go from there, 6 is completely out of the ballpark.

Back cylinder will have bigger main jet to cool the cylinder by running richer (due to lack of airflow to the cylinder).

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm on with these at moment (CB400?), been stood 20 years and they were in a sorry state..

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Looking a lot like mine did at the beginning. I'm sure it says smaller jet in rear carb, I will confirm later before I do anything!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Definitely says 140 front, 135 rear, why mine has 145 I don't know

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Strange, leaner jetting will make rear cylinder run hotter.

Some inline 4 bikes run middle two cylinders richer (to cool them), Honda run back cylinders richer on their V4's for same reason.

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
Just thinking on the import thing if it was from America as I think they run a different fuel to us because of their emissions. It may be an idea to try some premium unleaded fuel. Just a thought.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Kiethmac I have no doubt you are correct, if anybody knows, it's you, you are a professional motorcycle mechanic and definitely know your stuff, I have read many forums which confirm what you are saying, would a different needle make a difference, according to book they're different, I don't know enough to make any kind of judgement, as for fuel I can only try and hope for the best

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
If you look at my post 237 there is a pic straight from manual giving the jet and needle sizes , maybe it's a typo on their part? I still take your side though, like a car salesman can tell you about a car, only a driver with many miles under their belt can really tell you, ie, experience counts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I work on an American Import CBR600F2 and that runs fine on out fuel. To be honest I believe the American fuel is worse than ours, 91 octane?.

We've had a few imports in over the years.

It should run fine on fresh UK 95 ron.

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
I think @Cookieman needs to put his bike on a trailer and make the short run up to York. What do you think @keithmac.

Thanks for confirmation on the fuel.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The USA use the measurement MON for their fuel, the UK and nearly all the rest of the world use the RON measurement, 91 MON is the same as 95 RON

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
Their gallons are a bit on the short side too compared to the UK version.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
You'll (almost) never read that...just hear it. It's all about air density to that carb that effects jet size. Just remember, the people who design these bikes are, usually hel-a-va lot smarter than the ones who ride them.
:bg:
IIRC, there is one Virago, that does have a larger rear jet (think it was a 920)...and I also remember see'n a notice that this was printed as "wrong".

And, far as inlines' go: same reason why the inner carbs have different jetting: "AIR". Inner two run hotter: aka: less air density. Some of the earlier models (80's) had the same size jetting for all four. Any inline/V-twin I've ever worked on, I would have changed them if they are bigger. Might take awhile to get them balanced, cuz I didn't have access to a dyno, just have to go by plug color.

Besides...you pretty much said it in yer first post: Getting conflicting views

Let me give nother example. If it were for cooling: Honda probly would have done it too.--> https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oempart ... components
This is a direct quote from virago tech forum, they say stick to the manual, can you see where I get conflicting views, This post is not meant as any disrespect to anybody, not very clear in pic but one jet looks new 145 the other looks smaller and old, can't read numbers but it is smaller, small adjustment to floats, now within half a mm, front was out by about 2mm, I will try to put back together later if pos, not sure if it will effect choke/starting tho, I think some one has been inside before me , maybe to get more power? and done it badly, trying smaller jet in rear carb , trial and error sort of thing

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
These two bungs need to be in very good condition and a proper seal, if not you've lost correct metering of the main jet and idle jet.

As far as working on carbs and following the manual, I've only ever done what I've understood and can understand why it should be like it is and what effect it will have on the running of the bike.

Plus you don't know what's happened to the carbs/ jets before you bought the bike. I've been caught out by this a couple of times (people cleaning the pilots out and reaming them bigger).

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If that's a piece of bent over rubber pipe you're on a hiding to nothing trying to set the mixture up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 · (Edited)
Good observation of the bungs, the big bung is as should be, the small bungs tore in half horizontally, half of the bung is still in, the bit of tube you can see is to make sure that what's left of the small bung can't come out,I would say both bungs are sealing, I will make sure they are sealed for definite before refit, but I do think they are a good seal as they are, as for someone being inside before I tend to think you are right and maybe I'll have to get a full set of jets to make sure they are as should be and not just assume it like I have, I know I haven't damaged them but someone else may have,I have looked at manual and see the mains should be 140 and 135, the jet I can read is 145, the other smaller jet appears older and unreadable. I have had it running and revving in the past, I know these faults and problems do not help but would it stop it from starting on choke? when I can get it up to working temperature it seems to run fairly good, starting at a touch of the button, I have not ridden it yet so can't comment on performance of carbs under load,I am positively listening to your advice and I know how difficult it is to advise someone over messages and hands on is the best way but I am learning, probably the hard way but nevertheless I am, with many thanks to your patience/understanding /superb advice, for you to take the time and effort to help me, I wouldn't be where I am now without it. I know you're not the only poster offering advice and by no means do I wish to disrespect them either, every morsel of advice is taken on board and acted upon if relevant, many thanks to all, sincerely Ian
Ps this is not the end
Pps all minor faults/bodges will be rectified when running satisfactorily

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
I doubt if any of us feel any disrespect. Keithmac has the most experience of repairing motorcycles. At least I pointed you in the right direction for a shower trap lol.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 · (Edited)
yeah thanks for that smartguy, doors have been dispatched, should arrive very soon. When I say doors I mean some auto related mechanism

241 - 260 of 334 Posts