Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

221 - 240 of 382 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 · (Edited)
good evening kiethmac, the only new bits in the carbs are the pilot air screws, gaskets, "O" rings, float valve and seats all else is original as far as I know, if someone has been inside the carbs before me I don't know, but I don't think so. The only bit of poking jets/passages/orifices that I have done has been with smaller dia copper wire than hole and soft nylon interdental brush 0.5mm ( like a pipe cleaner but a lot shorter if anyone doesn't know) and no rough/harsh/over the top cleaning/poking, I still don't get the non starting with "choke" it definitely needs "choke" while cold and through warm up, but putting it on ,even a small amount, kills it, The enricher "choke" looks to be a simple valve, a brass plunger covering a hole/passage, carb cleaner won't squirt through when choke is off but will when choke is open, to me this is correct, there is a seal on the outside of plunger and I have not really checked this for any faults, maybe a squirt of carb cleaner around seal when engine running may produce a result or even a run of grease around them to "seal" the seal, engine was tending to "bog down" while trying to rev not sure if it means too rich or too lean (engine warm/hot) I wouldn't think it was lack of choke at that engine temp. Now I'm at this stage I wonder if it was just run regular it would help? I've heard of a fuel additive "berrymans" (American) is supposed to help clean carb internals ,I've never seen it and imagine its similar to Redex, this suggestion was from a forum "super moderator" with years in the industry, he probably knows his stuff, but I thought he was being a [email protected] with me because he thought I was with him, I think something was lost in translation. I also think throttle needle is not adjustable and I haven't tried to move them. I don't think I'm a million miles away now but just that little bit of tweaking ,I'm sure, will make a BIG difference, vacuum slides appear to be working normally, so nothing wrong with diaphragms, not found any vacuum leaks (yet), Ian

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Minor update, carbs off again to check "choke " , small and probably unnecessary clean up of plunger, everything appears to be working except rear cylinder carb seal around plunger has gone hard and seems a little weak ,£28 (per carb) for rebuild kit, a bit expensive for a little seal, repacked with grease to see if improved, not sure if they are that critical, not tried starting yet as I've had to cut grass and run out of petrol LOL. I don't know if I mentioned (or dare) about Mcalpine trap, works great. Merlyn doors arriving shortly

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
Still does not like "choke ", will not start with it! The only way to get it going is a sniff of carb cleaner ,then when warmed up ,runs fairly reasonable, but not perfect, when running and getting warmed up even the slightest amount of "choke " will kill it, back to the drawing board and try something else but to be honest I don't know what, I'm stumped. I did squirt carb cleaner around outside of carbs when running and it didn't make any difference so I assume no vac leaks, correct me if I'm wrong because it's something I've read on another forum and not seen for myself so I don't know if it's a good idea or proves anything

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Has anyone heard of joining the 2 capped vacuum stubs on the rubber carb mounts with a length of pipe so as to balance the vacuum in the manifolds? Supposed to improve tick over, just asking

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,530 Posts
You're supposed to use those with a decent vacuum gauge set to balance the carbs.

Can you tell if the choke is making it too rich or introducing too much air (lean?).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Hardly running now, will not start on choke, front carb now leaking, not flooding, wtf has gone wrong now! Carbs off again, some will think I'm some sort of moron who hasn't got a clue, maybe they are right, I feel like putting a hammer through it and take it to local scrap yard and watch it get crushed. I'm not a novice at this, nor a professional, but by the Lord it's got me truly frustrated!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 · (Edited)
Hi kiethmac, my last post was sent before I saw your post, please ignore rant. As for rich or lean I'm not sure but think lean, as for the vacuum take off stubs I know what they are for, just asking if anybody heard about linking them, from another forum a retired mechanic said he did it on his Norton with great effect on tick over

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Never had the need, it should run fine with the bungs in. May be worth a try but it's not a normal thing to do?.

Must have a blockage on choke circuits still?.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 · (Edited)
Yet another update, taken jet body off and rechecked choke passages, both are clear, squirted carb cleaner through carb body to choke plunger, choke on squirt though, choke off no squirt through, both carbs. I can't think of anything else to be wrong on choke side of carbs, please tell me if I'm wrong, I will post pics to show what I've done, cleaner comes through orifices on the top (air in) also hole in venturi after butterfly

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 · (Edited)
Re vacuum stubs, I've never heard of it, I'm sure if it did any good Yamaha would of fitted it per se

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 · (Edited)
Re vacuum stubs, I've never heard of it, I'm sure if it did any good Yamaha would of fitted it per se

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Having thought about it I think now if it isn't lean through a blockage, what to do if too rich? Pics update later when I'm sat in front of a proper computer and not my stupid phone

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
first pic shows where I inserted carb cleaner 2nd and 3rd show where it came out

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Were it says "Plugged this hole", I'm sure that should be permanent sealed up.. Maybe try and find a picture of another carb. To me that will just draw air in from the float chamber (no fuel).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Just had a google and it looks correct, must be to mix air in with the choke mixture.

If your fuel level is too high it will draw neat fuel through that hole though, causing a massive rich condition..

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Have you got the pilot jet bungs fitted?.

(Just to the right of main jet in my picture).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
I may have stumbled upon something, while looking back over some pics of carbs I saw the rear carb has a 145 size main jet and the book says 135, I will strip carbs again and double check both mains, I have been very careful not to mix up the 2 carb parts as I know they have slightly different jets, I didn't think anyone had been in before but now I'm beginning to wonder as mentioned at the beginning of this thread I noticed that the pilot air screws were set at about 6 turns out, at first I dismissed this as an error on my part by not counting properly, also the pilot screw holes are supposed to be plugged (they were not) hmmm, have I been barking up the wrong tree or is it wishful thinking? I have also read that emission laws can have an effect on jet sizes, just thinking out loud,

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Hi kiethmac , bungs are in and I will check float levels. THANK YOU for your patience

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,496 Posts
@Cookieman - Did you say you imported this bike. Not sure if I made that up or is it a UK bike.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
Note to self, be more critical of what you are doing, be more like kiethmac and be more thorough and not assume things are as they should be!

221 - 240 of 382 Posts