Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

201 - 220 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
It's running too rich if you can't put the choke on.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #202 (Edited)
Thanks for that, I'll give it a look, just found more issues with carbs which I'm sure is my fault, I was very generous with silicone spray when fitting new float valve, when I checked inside bowl it had what looked like deposits of vaseline in jets, I I assume it was a reaction to the petrol. Now it is cleaned but won't start because there's a weak spark on rear pot and intermittent big spark on front pot, I've had this issue before and assumed it was a bad connection somewhere but never found it because it cured itself! Anyway back to the drawing board maybe better news later. EDIT looks likely to be duff plug(s) due to continual wetting through leaking float valve etc

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,368 Posts
For price of a set of plugs stick a new set in!.

Good to hear it's running, not far off now.

RD500 for me today, guess what it was in for (yes more bloomin carb rebuilds!).

I did another RD500 a couple of years ago and genuinely didn't think I'd ever have another on the bench.

·
Registered
2019 ST Line Edition AWD 180 Diesel
198 Posts
For price of a set of plugs stick a new set in!.

Good to hear it's running, not far off now.

RD500 for me today, guess what it was in for (yes more bloomin carb rebuilds!).

I did another RD500 a couple of years ago and genuinely didn't think I'd ever have another on the bench.

View attachment 6567

View attachment 6568
very nice !!!
I had several 350 RD LC'S but never the 500 did have a RGV 500 for a few mths but was offered
a very good amount of cash for it so off it went.
But now wish i had kept it as them and the RD500's are just going for crazy money nowadays.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)
Hi all . just got some new plugs ,NGK they are correct as per book, I 'm stripping carbs again as I have inadvertently clogged the front one with what I believe to be some sort of gel/grease looking stuff caused by a reaction between petrol and silicone penetrant used to release needle seats, I thought by the time I had set the float levels it would of flushed them , how wrong was I. The RD looks good, abit of a beast so they say, how did the GSX go? (DONT SAY BRUM BRUM)! All the bikes I had in my youth are fetching a fortune, even my bomb proof C90, what a bike! You can say all you like about super bikes and the sort, but that thing of mine never ever let me down even when I run it out of oil, add some fresh oil , give it a good kick, hey presto away she went, took head off some time later and there was nothing wrong inside, no scratches, no rattles, no burning, nothing, it still looked brand new! Eventually the frame around the rear shocks went rotten and that was the end of that. PS is this becoming the longest thread ever?

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
I think one of the longest thread is "sync 2 retrofit".

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
We used to service 100's of C90's. Not uncommon to drop an egg cup full of oil out on a service but they were bulletproof and just kept going!. Front fork bushings and rear frame rusting were their main failure points.

Yep RG's and RD's are silly money now, I suppose they are only worth what people will pay.

GSXR is all good 👍.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Hiya smartguy what is a "sync 2" ? I don't think I've got "sync 1" whatever that is! Kiethmac glad to hear GSX good, hope you had nice test ride, I suppose for you working on old (and new) stuff may have lost its novelty by now, I have kicked my arse for such a stupid mistake and making assumptions when I don't know what I'm doing ( at least chemically), BTW what is a powershift? Sounds like some sort of automatic transmission, also BTW did sync2 get "solved "?

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
Hiya smartguy what is a "sync 2" ? I don't think I've got "sync 1" whatever that is! Kiethmac glad to hear GSX good, hope you had nice test ride, I suppose for you working on old (and new) stuff may have lost its novelty by now, I have kicked my arse for such a stupid mistake and making assumptions when I don't know what I'm doing ( at least chemically), BTW what is a powershift? Sounds like some sort of automatic transmission, also BTW did sync2 get "solved "?
You haven't. Ford introduced sync on the mk 2 which was called sync 1. Sync 2 came out a few years later replaced with sync 3. Sync 2 and 3 have an 8" touchscreen.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Good evening smartguy, so sync1/2/3 is "in car infotainment "? What about " powershift "?

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
Good evening smartguy, so sync1/2/3 is "in car infotainment "? What about " powershift "?
Hi Cookieman. Looking at your picture I bet you can't wait for next week for hairdressers to open lol.

The word infotainment always makes me laugh for some reason. Don't buy an early mk2 powershift. They have plastic bits in the gearbox keeping the clutch springs in place. It's Ford's name for an automatic gearbox. Keithmac will share his woes I am sure of the poor design of this gearbox. Changed from 2015 I think with the 180bhp engine to something that is up to the job.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Thanks for that smartguy ,I have often seen the words bandied about and wondered what they meant, now I know, yeah I've seen some of kiethmacs posts and thought "im glad I don't have that " can you see what I mean about modern tech, I'm glad mine is low tech, less to go wrong and easier to fix, the only thing not working on mine is the bluetooth, see what I mean about hi tech! As you have read I can't even handle low tech LOL!

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
Thanks for that smartguy ,I have often seen the words bandied about and wondered what they meant, now I know, yeah I've seen some of kiethmacs posts and thought "im glad I don't have that " can you see what I mean about modern tech, I'm glad mine is low tech, less to go wrong and easier to fix, the only thing not working on mine is the bluetooth, see what I mean about hi tech! As you have read I can't even handle low tech LOL!
If your bluetooth ins't working it may just require a new module. Not sure how the mk1 works tbh.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #214 (Edited)
Had to get bluetooth unit for daughters Fiat 500 literally weeks out of warranty £500, a month later speedo/head unit display went, another £500, talk about hi tech, all dealer only stuff ,I can buy bluetooth unit for my computer for £5, does everything, my word, how we are robbed/ripped off, their best excuse for daylight robbery is "it's got to be synced on computer ", sorry rant over , just call me Mr Angry :mad: PS smartguy ,I dont need hair dresser, all my hair is on garage floor! LOL

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
We do seem to get ripped off with car electronics when you see what you can buy a decent laptop or tv for. Possibly due to the volumes sold compared to the research and design or could be due to the fact that you need a genuine replacement so you have to pay. We have only ever owned two fiats and would definitely not buy another. I had a Fiat Marea which had an amazing 5 cylinder engine. I ran it until the cambelt needed replacing as the cost to replace was more than what the car was worth.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
A reasonably good update, given carbs a really good clean out again after the error with the silicone, refitted and started on 1 cylinder at first,(after sniff of carb cleaner) then 2 after a little while, if I knew how to put up a video I would! occasional small backfire and some times a reluctance to rev, definitely will NOT start with choke, does not like it one bit, obviously runs better when warmed up (like it needs choke) but not perfect, Ozekuga suggest running too rich but I dont know how to make it leaner unless you change jets? It should be a little lean because of the pod air filters, not rich. Again no rattles no smoke so something must be right, Which jets should I change if thats the problem? what about Pilot air screws?(set at 2 turns from soft seat) as far as I know the pilots are just for fine tuning? Please correct me if I'm wrong (I've been wrong more than once before)

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
You shouldn't need to change jets to make it rich or lean. You use the petrol/air mixture screw. Normally one and half turns out from full in as a rough guide if I remember correctly and then fine tweaking from there. Keith will confirm I am sure.

Not sure what type of carbs you have but on my old 380 suzuki I used to check that all throttle slides are set at the same height and moved at the same time.

Choke will only close the air off so it gets more fuel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #218 (Edited)
The carbs are Mikuni BDS34 CV Downdraft, the "choke" is actually an enrichener circuit rather than a butterfly closing the venturi, manual says start at 2 turns on pilot air screws and work from there, butterflys are roughly in sync after basic bench setup, I cant be certain that the jets are original but I would expect them to be, some of the numbers on jets that I have seen do match what they should be and I assume the rest are what they should be, the only adjustment is by the pilot air screw or different jets. Ignore first pic inserted in error, 2nd pic shows enrichener on side of carb (highlighted in the white box)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Pilot air screw is after the throttle so winding it in (clockwise) will make it leaner, winding it out (anticlockwise) will make it richer.

Are they the original pilot jets?, I've seen carbs where someone has used a wire brush bristle to clean the pilot jet, this basically bores it out so the jet is much bigger than should be. Even 10 to 20% is enough to cause a rich stumble.

Normally pilot air screws affect idle and low load/ revs, pilot jets idle to 4000ish, main jets 4000 up (full main 6000). Theres also throttle needle position but I don't think yours are adjustable.

It's all a balancing act and takes a while to learn how one thing effects the rest.

If you have old pilot jets may be worth putting new ones in to rule it out.

I've been been bitten too many times now so will fit carb kits to majority of bikes that come in with unknown history.

I've seen carbs with the throttle needle guides/ collars missing as well, they will idle but won't take any throttle (massive rich stumble instead).

201 - 220 of 222 Posts