Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

181 - 200 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Smartguy aka DIY Man, just had that EUREKA moment, thanks to kiethmacs sound advice I have achieved what I thought might mean a new carb set up (bifubricated manifold and single carb) I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment so I'll keep it short ,let it soak in rocol for an hour or so then drifted out, put new seat and valve in It works!!! More details later

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Greetings to all following this thread, thanks to super star kiethmac I have been able to cure leaky float valve's, here goes with long winded exiting episode, first off soaked ali plug and valve seat in Rocol precision silicone spray for around an hour, next was the brave part of drifting out old seat and pushing ali plug out at the same time, a few firm taps with No 0 cross pane and out they came (big cheers, thank f for that) refit with home made custom pin punch(4 inch nail), tested float height and was found to be too high (like kiethmac said) so modified tang to suit, still needs fine tuning, but close. I can't see why the old seats were duff, it looks like corrosion though due to no use for many years, too much damage to tell for sure from another custom pin punch (No 15 torx driver). I wish I knew how to put this up on Google so all could see, it took kiethmacs intervention to find obscure site, I spent hours looking and found nothing, maybe it was that obvious and didn't need explaining, maybe I'm as thick as pudding, (titter ye not) but I wasn't going to stuff up perfectly good carbs by not being sure, I will post pictures later as I am typing this on my thick phone and don't know how to do it! Still got to do other carb yet (out of time today) then refit and see if it will start! BTW these carbs are quite fiddly to remove and refit but when you've done it as many times as me it becomes a doddle! Not sure if anyone still listening but I need advice on the airfilter, I have the original as fitted 39 years ago but it has been eaten by mice ( probably) and needs refurbing due to the price of a new one being in excess of £70, at the moment I have fitted pod filters over bell mouths, I think I can bore you with this thread for many months to come but please watch this space for another exciting experience of some twit trying to get his old bike up and running ( this is not the end) Many thanks to all contributors for encouragement and support/advice

·
Registered
2019 ST Line Edition AWD 180 Diesel
198 Posts
Fair play for getting this far TBH !!!!
I gave up working on bikes / cars myself a couple of yrs ago (just can't be arsed anymore)
As for the montessa's iirc the 250 was a cota 249 (used to do a fair amount of trials riding) as a
schoolboy up until i found road bikes and drink lol lol.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,368 Posts
Good news you've got it sorted, really pleased for you!.

My GSXR was a right mess, think I'm 5th man in to these carbs, put a full rebuild kit in (new throttle needles and guides/ emulsion tubes, new jets fuel needles and seats etc).

One thin I will say is the Blue tin WD40 is horrific where rubber is concerned, I wouldn't put WD40 anywhere near them (tip for future), GT85 is Teflon based and a lot nicer all round really.

If you can use the stock air filter you will be better off, it will require tuning with the Pod filters (idle screw adjustment and possibly bigger main jets).

Great to hear it all went well 👍.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Hi all,I am not at the end of the road yet with this bike, still plenty to do, I have taken up tinkering with bikes since retiring from paid work, I have always had a like for bikes since a young age and now have more time, coming from a tinkering background it seems the right way for me, it passes time in an (mostly) enjoyable way, I have sh#t loads to learn and never realised how much I didn't know! I will thank kiethmac again, just because I can! Good luck with gsxr hopefully turns out well, please post results, I am repeating myself, but I have never had so much trouble with a bike (not even run consistently yet) but I will get there eventually (even if it kills me!) All this would not be possible without the good nature and thought of others. Boring pics to follow.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Fingers crossed it will run like a dream when you get it back together.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
pics as promised 1st pic old and new, 2nd new seat half fitted ,3rd inside view of fitted seat, 4th old seat in other carb, 5th top view of fitted seat, 6th modified tang, 7th trying to show inside of old seat , yeah kiethmac I hope so but not confident after so many dissapointments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #189 (Edited)
Just a quick question, when I first got bike (no history) I noticed what remained of original air filter (eaten by mice) was very oily, any thoughts? Could it have been deliberately oiled? Over filled with oil? Its a paper filter, should it have been oiled? Heavy Breathing (ooh matron!) from cam/head/ rocker cover?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Update, double whammy, carbs on, tried to start , couple of half fires then nothing, 1st whammy front cylinder carb now flooding, rear ok, cant believe it, everything checked out great on bench test , not now! Whammy No2 lawnmower wont start! What have I done! I must of killed a Robin and several mirrors to get this much bad luck! seems to be kill button permanently to earth, so disconnected it now cant stop it! I had more time when I was working! Sorry, rant over.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Don't oil a paper filter.

Don't give up, give front carb bowl a tap if float has stuck.

I've been on Ducati's and Honda's today, bloody computers/ diagnostics, too complicated for their own good.

Was hoping to roadtest the GSXR today but lost 8 hours doing other bits and pieces..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Good evening kiethmac, gave carb tap no joy, will pull off cover insitu (easy) and have a look (maybe tomorrow) These modern high performance bikes are like [email protected] off a shovel but overly complicated for me, I can't get an old fashioned one to go LOL! Seriously I like the simplicity of older bikes, air cooled, no electronics and easy to fix (says me) they have a style from my younger days I like, I also like the sit up and beg style even more now that my wrists are playing up but do appreciate the engineering of modern stuff. GSX looks fast,even in pieces! Let me know how it goes and good luck with it!

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
Hi Cookieman, I assume your lawnmower is petrol. Has it got one of those stupid primer bulbs as it could be that. Drain the fuel out as well and put some fresh in. I have never had an issue with leaving fuel in over winter but some people have. My Ryobi petrol mower is normally a pig to start after being stood and it went first pull last week. The primer bulb is faulty so I have it disconnected and use a syringe, the type you use for printer ink.

Being CCS, cheap Chinese %@#£, I can't get a replacement primer bulb.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Good evening smartguy, the mower is a mountfield 100cc self propelled, its a beast at 2.4 hp ,been great for 2years, tried to start it and eventually ended up with old electric, took cover off and found no spark, eventually found "kill switch " somewhere stuck to earth, more investigation needed, now runs but can't stop it! Ended up choking it to stop it, yes it has the bulb "primer " I assume it's like the ticklers on Amal carbs of olden days, p#ssed off with bike though 😠

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
Good evening smartguy, the mower is a mountfield 100cc self propelled, its a beast at 2.4 hp ,been great for 2years, tried to start it and eventually ended up with old electric, took cover off and found no spark, eventually found "kill switch " somewhere stuck to earth, more investigation needed, now runs but can't stop it! Ended up choking it to stop it, yes it has the bulb "primer " I assume it's like the ticklers on Amal carbs of olden days, p#ssed off with bike though 😠
Follow keithmac's advice and you won't go far wrong. There are so many posts on this thread now so it's easier to ask this question; has the bike ever run or did you get it as a non-runner.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Hi smartguy, the bike is a recent American import, and no know history, it must have been stood for many years ,although not seized and excellent compression, it still has the original tyres as fitted by the manufacturer, very perished of course, it suggests to me it has not run for what be my best guess roughly30 years, look back at my previous posts and see the black crud what was in the carbs, i cleaned the carbs and got it running for a few minutes but it wanted to die when you touched the throttle, as suggested by kiethmac it was the pilot jet at fault, still wouldn't start easily ,further investigation found blocked enricher circuit, still not starting, occasional backfire, in all honesty it seemed 1 step forward, 2 steps back, eventually it led to the leaky float valves, obviously with hindsight I should have paid much closer attention to carbs but in the first instance it seemed they wasn't that bad. Clearly kiethmac was absolutely correct and me wanting to run before I could walk led to what I thought would be fairly straightforward job into a monster of epic proportions full of frustration and disappointment, my last bike was a ZR7 it also had carb problems which I fixed first time round , ran as smooth as silk and pulled like a train, sold it last June, having waffled on a bit the answer to your question is yes, it has run but not for very long, long enough to find no smoke and no rattles, clutch works, gears select, all electrical good. Total running time about 10 mins (on and off)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
More unwelcome news, front carb when bench tested was good, however now fitted it floods, checked float height obviously way high therefore flooding, adjusted float tang, still way high, adusted tang again, still no good, its either the needle to seat or the seat itself leaking past its housing, to remove the seat ( again) would probably destroy it (at least crush gauze filter) One option would be to remove carbs (again) and run some sort of sealent/glue around the seat housing ,inside the float chamber, I've seen Araldite work to great affect on crankcases etc, superglue might be an option because it's thin and runny, Rear carb fine, no problems, I wonder what will go wrong next?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Can the seat move in the housing?
If it can does it move further down when the pressure of the needle moving down on to it, so it doesn't form a seal.
Probably didn't explain that very well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Can the seat move in the housing?
If it can does it move further down when the pressure of the needle moving down on to it, so it doesn't form a seal.
Probably didn't explain that very well.
Hi, good to hear from Australia, the old seats are an interference fit and pressed in, the replacement seats have a "O" ring to create the seal, it's unlikely they can move, up or down, they can't move up because the steel mesh filter is up against the plug cap,they can't move down because they are against a shoulder, if you look at the pics in a previous post you can see the difference between old and new. At the moment I can only guess what might be happening inside float bowl and it's either the viton tip not sealing against seat or leaking past "O" ring on seat, these carbs have been a nightmare, never in all my years have I had such problems with carbs, I think it's because of them not being used for so many years and me not appreciating this although they looked good at first, thanks for input and any suggestions are very welcome and appreciated, hope to hear from you again, Ian

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Just come in from garage and had it running! I'm not too excited because it only ran on rear cylinder, cleaned valve seat in front carb with cotton bud soaked in carb cleaner, then dried off with another bud, seems to have cured leak, it appears front cylinder spark plug getting wet/damp with fuel but not firing, I suppose it's still carbs, seems to run fine, for a minute, then when tweaking throttle it starts backfiring through rear carb and eventually dies, starting again with small sniff of carb cleaner and repeats process, has anybody any ideas or suggestions (I mean constructive or legal)? Was going to post video of engine running/backfiring but I dont know how, at this stage it does not like choke (never has), does that point to anything?

181 - 200 of 222 Posts