Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know this forum is for Kugas but I have a problem with (I suspect) blocked pilot jet/air passages on a soon to be historic motorcycle, Ive tried carb cleaner in all the orifices and poked with soft wire, still no luck, how do I clean the passages I cant poke with soft wire ie when the passage goes around a corner etc

·
Mr. Happy
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
1,011 Posts
Try a high pressure air compressor.

Reactions: keithmac

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,567 Posts
Hi, I know this forum is for Kugas but I have a problem with (I suspect) blocked pilot jet/air passages on a soon to be historic motorcycle, Ive tried carb cleaner in all the orifices and poked with soft wire, still no luck, how do I clean the passages I cant poke with soft wire ie when the passage goes around a corner etc
@keithmac is your man.

What is the bike. I had a mouse infestation in the airbox on mine. Completely ruined the air filter as well as dropping a load of muck in no.1 carb. I used carb cleaner and the bike ran ok but it wouldn't tick over properly. If I remember rightly you are not supposed to get carb cleaner anywhere near rubber seals. I read that afterwards and bought a second set of carbs just in case.

Also the forum is for Kuga owners. I believe you are free to ask any question you like about most subject in the "General None related Kuga Chit Chat" so long as it's with the forum rules.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi smart guy, what a coincidence! mine was infested too, shredded air filter, cheapest air filter for mine is approx £70 , yes thats SEVENTY POUNDS, (its a rareish old model 1982) Yamaha XV500k Virago (not 535)

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,363 Posts
Strip carbs down, remove all jets and pilot air screws (make a note positions, normally 2 turns out).

As said compressed air is the best bet and carb cleaner is nasty if left on rubber components.

The XV535's were very common for the vaxuum slide diaphragms falling to bits.

NRP carbs do rebuild kits, I'd be tempted to buy a pair of kits (fuel needles and seats, jets etc).

After all that get them balanced properly, some I've seen have been miles out!.

You can get the bodies ultrasonic cleaned if it's still not right.

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,567 Posts
Hi smart guy, what a coincidence! mine was infested too, shredded air filter, cheapest air filter for mine is approx £70 , yes thats SEVENTY POUNDS, (its a rareish old model 1982) Yamaha XV500k Virago (not 535)
Mine is a 1992 CBR 600FN. If Honda had put a wire mesh over the air intake it would never have happened. I couldn't get the bottoms of mine to inspect the float needles and see if there was any muck in the bottom so bought a second set off a working bike off ebay.

That's a lot of money for an air filter. About £20 for mine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks keithmac, the compressed air is the problem, no compressor, looks like another strip down and take them to a friend who has one, I don't think a rebuild kit will help me at this time, maybe when I get it running something like ,then a kit. As I said I'm convinced its a blocked passage, not the jets

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi smart guy, I've put some oval shape air filter pods over the bell mouths inside the airbox and I'll get the carbs tuned to them, at £6 each its a cheaper option! (when I get it running better) By the way I am a Kuga owner and have been for about 7years, 2012 zetec 2.0 tdci all wheel drive with bluetooth problems

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi smart guy, just looked on ebay for used carbs the only ones I can see are for a xv535 (not mine but close, xv500) and they are £210 plus postage of £13 and they look like they have been twice around the world!

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,567 Posts
Hi smart guy, just looked on ebay for used carbs the only ones I can see are for a xv535 (not mine but close, xv500) and they are £210 plus postage of £13 and they look like they have been twice around the world!
That's a lot of cash for second hand bits. And there was me thinking that some of the Kuga breakers are trying to steal our money.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, have looked on Ebay and there's some small ones at a reasonable price but I think too small. I will try a long chemical soak in the hope it will possibly soften the blockage and then blow out with compressed air

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The home ultrasonic cleaners are a bit pants, ours is a 30l job. You need the correct cleaning solution as well.

Problem with old needles and seats is the fuel can seep past so it can flood and drop off a cylinder at idle.

I've seen where people have cleaned the pilot jets out and reemed them out in the process, lost hours on a job due to last bloke doing that!. New kits sorted it out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks keithmac, I hope might have found at least one problem with regards to choke/enricher circuit, in the float bowl there is a ali casting which the pilot and main jets screw into ALSO there is a passage up to the "choke" and it was blocked solid, soaked in chemicals and boiled in water would not shift it and I ended up carefully drilling out the brass plug which was stopping me from pokeing it out, now its clear and waiting to go back together,all other jets /passages appear to be clear after blowing thro with carb cleaner, update later

·
Mr. Forgetful
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
1,206 Posts
Phew! After reading the thread title, I thought this was going to be a medical question :LOL:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Some Suzuki and Kawasaki's had a blank over the pilot jet and it actually drew the fuel through a cross drilling between main jet and pilot jet housings.

Most American imports had brass anti tamper caps over the pilot air screws (emissions related).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi kiethmac, ive just walked in from garage and had it running, having stripped carbs AGAIN, the pilot air screws are not plugged and were adjusted to advice from other forums (2-3 out turns from bottom) I have them now at about 4 turns and it now picks up and revs , still not right ,but getting there, try some more in the morning when its a bit warmer

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If you're at 4 turns really you should go up a size or two on the pilot jets (normally 2.5 increments) and drop back to 2 turns.

Some carbs can handle 4 turns out but some won't and require bigger pilot jets.

Have you had the air screws completely out and cleaned the tips (scotchbrite works well).

If you're careful you can pull the plug caps and see if both cylinders are contributing the same, don't electrocute yourself mind!.

Not far off by the sounds of it.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts