Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience of towing a caravan with the Kuga? I have seen some correspondence on towbars, but not sure if these are being used for smaller trailers, or for caravans at 13-1400kgs.

If you do tow a caravan, is this with a Ford bar and the TSP connected, or with a third party bar without the TSP? Any weaving/snaking?

The reason that I ask is that I am waiting to have a third party bar fitted and wonder whether I should hold out for the (more expensive) Ford setup.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Basil
I have towed my 1300Kg van behind my Kuga Titanium and can only say it was it was no issue at all. I purchased a demonstrator from a Ford agent on a 58 plate, the car pulled with no effort, van was very stable. I have had to fit a new Alko stabilised hitch to my van as my car came with the Ford detachable type bar which cannot be used with a blade type stabiliser that I previously used.Not certain about TSP but certainly a very stable tow.

Only disappointment was that Ford do not wire the pins for fridge, battery charging and 12v permanent supply on the 13 pin socket but I can rectify this thanks to advice found on this forum elsewhere.(I use a 13 pin to 12s and 12N plug adaptor lead)

As this was my first time with the K not too certain about longer term but on a 60 mile each way trip MPG ony dropped by around 2 mpg whilst towing.

Prevoiusly towed with a number of different cars but without doubt the K is the best for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Leadtrainer
Could you please advise me what I should do in order to get the pins for thefridge, battery charging and 12v permanent supply on the 13 pin socket to work. I also use a 13 pin to 12s and 12N plug adaptor lead.I have the detachable Ford towbar so will also have the TSP.

This is very bad show on Fords part as this should already be done as the 13 pin conection isnow standard on all new caravans.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Cool Kuga
If you use the search facility on this forum and type in Towbar wiring there is a thread which gives you info. Basically if you remove spare wheel etc and pull back the carpet on nearside you will find the towbar electrics and the relays. There are two wires, one red and one yellow just taped up and these need to be connected into a split charge relay which you can get from most caravan accessory shops.

I have notyet donemine although I have the relay ready. If you get yours done soon it would be good if you can post on the site your experience for others, I will be doing mine in the coming weeks but not certain when. Not quite certain yet how to run cables from boot back to the engine bay or is there a better solution?. Anybody done this yet?

If anybody has fitted theirs socket up please give info. for all us caravaners

If anybody is interested I can confirm the info. given in wiring mods re an ignition controlled feed from the light switch does work. Well done and thanks to all who contributedl

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, for all the above info. I am due to discuss my hitch/wiring with the technician that my garage use, once he returns from holiday, so will let you know the result.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the advice Leadtrainer will have a look at this but will also wait to see what the technician advises Basil.

I'm a bit concerned about joining and leading cables as I dont want to interfere with the TSP as the wiring is amultiplexed can bussed system. I think I will also try and see if I can find out anymore about the system and see what is possible and what is not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have bitten the bullet and gone with a Ford bar and wiring harness, rather than risk the hassle of a third party bar and cobbled together wiring...
I got my ex-Demo Kuga from Caffyns at Alton, Hants and they have sub-contracted to a local technician to supply and fit the Forddetachable bar and wiring, plus a set of parking sensors at front and rear (not on car as supplied), at £836 all in. Not cheap, but at least that way I getthe advantage of the TSP stability plus a 13 pin caravan plug that should power all the circuits. I don't feel competent to adapt the wiring, as some of you brave souls are intending ...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi,

We have previously towed a Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 6 (MTPLM 1265) with a Ford detachable Towbar and 12S & 12N with now problem (very stable and easy to pull). We must have done over 1500 Towing Miles.

Just upgraded to a Bailey Pageant Sancere Series 7 (MTPLM 1435 - Approx 89% match) and picked it up last weekend. Towed it from Dereham Norfolk to Deeping St. James over all road types and she handled beautifully. Yes I could feel a difference in responsiveness when pulling off and overtaking compared to the Monarch but nothing that gives any cause for concern.

Stability did not give any cause for concern wither although there was more wallow over a bumpy country single track road compared to the Monarch, but the Sancere is 3 feet longer and the max lenght before going to double axle.

Hope this helps and enjoy the towing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Raptor

Just had a look at the Bailey website and the Sancere looks really good. I am considering a Swift 480 Conqueror which is almost a metre shorter (no fixed bed ...), but has an MTPLM of up to 1455kg. I would think that the shorter length should aid stability, but from what you report there should not be a problem anyway.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hi all
We tow a 2008 abbey GTS 418 with our Kuga with no problem MTPLM 1500Kg,my previous car was a Shogun 3.2 DiD I am a lot better off in savings on fuel but also do not miss the difference in power ,but we have not yet been stuck in a muddy field to try out the 4x4 capabilities
Happy towing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts