Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
With my remaining 2.5 functioning brain cells I cannot remember which of you are caravaners.
I will be at the caravan show at Hull Univercity on Saturday 5th Sept hopefully to order a new caravan.
If any of you are there and see my Kuga in the car park leave me a note.
Moonstone with detachable towbar (attached) Four K.O.C. stickers two on rear window and two on side rear quarterlights.
Happy caravaning.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi Win-doc
I am planning to go to the caravan show in Birmingham in October. Scoping out the new caravan's myself. We were looking at the Bailey California but we are curious about this new range they are launching called the Bailey Pegasus range. Enjoy the show what are you fancying?

KugaKen
Edited by: KugaKen

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello there fellow vanner,

We have had a good look over this season and have more or less decided on the Stirling Eccles Jewel. We prefer the Ruby but with a MTPLM of 1595kg it is stretching it a bit too far for the Kuga (99%). the Jewel is a more sensible 1500kg and comes in about 91. ish kg. Given that it will never be loaded to the maximum it should in reality tow at about 85/6/7%.

The possible fly in the ointment is what (if anything) have the maufactures done to next years models, to make us change our minds. Saturday should be a good battle of wits, if I dont get 15-17% off I have failed in my quest to out sell a salesman. I don't often fail.

We looked at the Bailey range as well as the rest. As you well know with a caravan you sit in it and it just feels right., or you leave it. We are all different thankfully.
Good luck with your search and keep in touch.

Regards John Moore (win-doc)

·
Registered
512 Posts
We really liked the Ruby as well, but like you weight is a no no. The charisma variant didn't quite cut the mustard for us. There are so many nice vans out there. Really like the jewel also but my good lady is dead set on a full width rear bathroom. I have said its a lot of room for nothing butI cannot argue becauseI got the Kuga. Good luck with the bargaining you have definitely picked the right time to buy before the chancellor ups the Vat again.

I'm curious about those Stealth vans have you heard about them? Totally new concept and layouts apparently.

KugaKen

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi KugaKen,
Like you say a lot of nice vans around this year. Stealth is not a name that has crossed my radar as yet. Are they British or Continental make.

The site told me that this had not been posted hence the duplicate.

Edited by: win-doc

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Kuga Ken,
As you say there are a lot of nice vans out this year.
The Stealth name is not one which has crossed my radar as yet.
Are they British or a Continental make.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi again KugaKen,

I have had a look at the Stealth Site, It might interest some people, but I will not be one of them.
Dunster House is a major manufacturer and retailer of timber garden buildings (sheds) large and small.
The design concept is a new approach i agree but in a climate that sees us vanners sat reading cos its too wet to go out on some days, there doe's not seem to be an attractive area in which to sit and enjoy a panoramic view.
As you say they will be not long for this world, if they even get off the starting blocks.

·
Registered
512 Posts
win-doc said:
The design concept is a new approach i agree but in a climate that sees us vanners sat reading cos its too wet to go out on some days, there doe's not seem to be an attractive area in which to sit and enjoy a panoramic view.

Hi Win-doc

Completely agree with above, I also think black is not right, even though it may match the Kuga

It does have some good points though and this may stir up the market and improve other marques.

We must be the only Caravanners on here or the only ones owning up to it

I wonder why so many have detachable towbars, perhaps just a status symbol

KugaKen

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi KK,
In my case during the negotiations (browbeating) of the sales man the tow bar was one item which I got him to agree to in the deal. It was only when he contacted the third party T/Bar fitter they use, that it entered his head that because I was having F & Rear parking sensors, they "would" see the fixed T/Bar. I disagreed but he was not prepared to fit a fixed bar and then have to refit a detachable one if his thoughts were correct, so I got a detachable one (same price).
I have since seen Kugas with a fixed bar which is miles away from the sensors.

Being a caravaner of many years I find it strange that more people do not use their Kugas "properley". Why else were they made? The lack of all that weight in low ratio gerboxes etc which are not needed for normal caravan use, (try dragging your van up a mountain side and they fall to bits)
Good traction on damp grass is what we need and get from the Kuga. This and enough grunt to push that trilby wearing idiot in front out for his Sunday trundle into the nearest hedge. Sorry only joking TWI but you are a pest, if you want to travel that slowly take a bus.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi KugaKen & win-doc,
Another fellow caravanner here but not quite yet a Kuga owner, due at the dealers on 26th Sep so should be available for delivery 1st week of October. I too will be going to the NEC, as good an excuse as any to take the beast for a decent run. Went there 3 years ago and got a good deal on our first van, 15% off and a show pack thrown in (alloys, alarm & stereo), going this year to have a good look around with a view to change in the next couple of years although thats just an excuse really since designs will have changed again by then.
Happy vanning.
Paul.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi KK,
I specced the Factory Fit detachable one when I ordered since several posts on here indicated there were supply problems getting the Ford one dealer fit.

I think we are going on the 16th so if you're there then, look out for a Titanium in vision with privacy glass & roof rails, wont be putting the tow ball on though but you should see the bumper cut, another reason why I ordered it factory fit as it's through a company lease scheme.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello all. Another caravanner here. Im not going to the show but thought I would 'own up' to being one. Currently own a 1995 Bailey ranger which is an absolute doddle to tow, just been down to Longleat and while there saw another 2 Kugas on the site. One white and another sea grey , as mine is. Also at Clumber park saw a black one. So there must be a lot more of us out there somewhere!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi bellcamp,

Hope them cougars at Longleat were caged, strange colours though, thought they were more of a sandy colour. I'll keep an eye out for you when I get mine as until then you'll probably think who's that idiot in the Astra waving at. Live in Washington but work all over the North East from Belford down to York.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Ursus,
Had the Witter detachable bar fitted to my Kuga. It was done at the dealers by a third party T/Bar fitter they use.
All o k with NO REPEAT NO cutout at all to the rear bumber.
The only slight quibble I havec is that you have to be not far off in line to the van to hitch up as the rear/back of the Alko hitch touches the rear skirt when it is in the vertical position.
This is o k in line but say 45 degrees off axis is not possible with out forcing the hitch handle into the rear skirt.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi bellycamp,
Sensible lot us caravanners. More power to the Kuga. Every Van should have one.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi Ursus
My Kuga also came without T/bar, asked the local dealer who did not have one in stock and coughed to not having ever fitted one. He actually recommended a third party outfit. I took it to the professional masters of Tow bar in Durham. Headleys who at very short notice did a fabulous job. They fitted a Thule, with just a very minor cut into the skirt just square around the fitting. Not the great sweeping arc Ford require. You really can't see it unless you get down and dirty.

This small cut may be all the difference it needs as I'm OK between AlKohitch and bumper.

KugaKen

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Kuga Ken (& any other vanners),

Have been to The Lawns Caravan Show today, it seems empty with the loss of Fleetwood & Avondale etc. Apart from Bailey who are seldom at this show there was just the Swift Group in its various guises, Elldis ditto, Coachman And Lunar.
We had just about decided which van we were going to have and after a check of them all, it was D time.
Decision made, order placed, end of January or early February we will have a Sterling Eccles Jewel to replace our fouteen year old Abbey 215 Vouge. Any buyers out there its in good nick.

Where are all the kuga's, Hull and back and not one siteing. Had to go through about 140mm of mud coming out of car park (field), all four wheels in it at the same time, did not even know it was there. Superb.

Edited by: win-doc

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi win-doc
Bet you had a ball, but did you get the dicount you wanted? More excitment for you, just in time as well for next years season or are you one of those hardy people who tour in the depths of winter. When all together you will have a fine outfit, well done

KugaKen

1 - 20 of 34 Posts