Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

441 - 454 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
phoneman said:
Sorry if I upset a few members but here we go. Road tax is now based on emmissions so why are caravans not liable for road tax, they increase emmisions from the vehicle and cause hold ups on the road, and countless frustrated drivers when they're behind them and more worrying you can always tell an inexperienced towing driver......sorry guys but its only an opinion
Er, because they don't drive around 24/7 with them attached.

Do you give more money to the government for road tax if you go for a drive and carry 4 people and some luggage, hence increasing the weight of your vehicle and so increasing it's emissions?

Bit of a stupid post really, but it's only an opinion.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Most pay tax on the extra fuel we use I think nowadays caravans pretty much manage to go with the flow we to get stuck behind hgv,s and sometimes buses.
And we always pull into a lay by when there's a que of traffic behind don't we lads.
A few years ago coming down the A9 from Inverness with the caravan we were stuck behind a long line of traffic doing 21 mph from aviemore to just outside perth when we got to the hold up it was a police range rover pulling a trailed incident unit g

·
Registered
19 Posts
In my experience pulling a caravan the opposite is true. I drive every where by the legal limit apart from motorways which I drive at 60mph. Caravans DO NOT EMIT anything. It's reckless drivers who see a caravan and think "must overtake him"

·
Registered
350 Posts
phoneman said:
Sorry if I upset a few members but here we go. Road tax is now based on emmissions so why are caravans not liable for road tax, they increase emmisions from the vehicle and cause hold ups on the road, and countless frustrated drivers when they're behind them and more worrying you can always tell an inexperienced towing driver......sorry guys but its only an opinion

You are correct, road tax is based on a motor vehicle's emissions. Trailers don't have an engine, therefore no emisions so how can road tax be calculated on a caravan?Why single out caravans? Surely, in fairnessthrough more common use,all trailers should be taken into account from the smallest load carrier, agricultural trailers,horse trailers, trailer tents, small caravansand the biggest caravans. There are far more "general use" trailers in daily use on our roads than caravans.

If towing atrailer increases the emissions of the tow car above the manufacturers stated/declared vehicle figure(upon which the taxation class has been based), how would you suggest a revised towing emissions figure could be calculated when considering just how many permutations of towvehicle and trailer combination is possible. I tow a caravan and, on occassion,a horse trailer(notat the same time!!) but does towing increase the g/km figure or just the fuel consumption? It doesn't necessarily follow that increased fuel consumption equals increased g/km emissions.

Finally, should roof mounted racks, boxes and other equipment also be included as they too can increase fuel consumption.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think phoneman just pulling our legs as he just likes to see the site light up, so to make his day I'm posting a pic after just having crested Warminster hill at 55 mph, and despite having a spare lane nothing came past !! So no hold ups and at 26 mpg paid the penalty by buying fuel.....the more you use the more tax you pay !
Edited by: Woodman

·
Registered
253 Posts
The speed limit was reduced a couple of years ago for towing vehicles to 60 mph on all roads that have the national speed limit, including motorways and dual carriageways.

Therefore you are driving to the limit allowed when doing 60 on the motorway.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Actually the speed limits have been increased for all vehicles towing trailers and rigid large goods vehicles. The absolute maximum for motorways and dual carriageways used to be 50 mph remember all those caravans with "50" stickers on the back? Then the limit was raised to 60mph on motorways but stayed at 50mph on dual carriageways.

Now the limit is 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways and 50mph on single carriageway roads on which the national speed limit applies (it used to be 40mph).

·
Registered
563 Posts
BazKuga said:
Actually the speed limits have been increased for all vehicles towing trailers and rigid large goods vehicles. The absolute maximum for motorways and dual carriageways used to be 50 mph remember all those caravans with "50" stickers on the back? Then the limit was raised to 60mph on motorways but stayed at 50mph on dual carriageways.

Now the limit is 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways and 50mph on single carriageway roads on which the national speed limit applies (it used to be 40mph).
Spot on

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your car is a huge investment. You, therefore, have to put in some work and money into protecting it and ensuring that it can serve you for the most extended period. Excellent maintenance and care are equivalent to a more extended serving vehicle, and while there is a lot you can do to keep your car safe, the first and most crucial step is protecting it from the day to day harsh elements. i forund a website here you can chose best outdoor car cover, Thanks!

441 - 454 of 454 Posts