Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Kuga has spent the last month or so in hibernation, this morning however I noticed that the Kuga's cage(fuel flap) was open? initially it was a bit stomach churning, and sinister thoughts ran through my swede. Now I have filled up maybe four times since new andjust assumedthat when the car is locked so is the fuel flap. Had book out this morning and it seems that it is not which seems rather odd especially when there is no added protection like a fuel cap to secure it. Appreciate it if anyone can confirm. Thought: perhaps this has already been covered previously? Thanks. Bob.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Our fuel flap doesnt lock shut either, but i think if someone puts anything down the filler hole without a nozzle in then it will not enter the tank. i understand there is an additional flap further down, and unless this is open then any juice runs out on to the floor. this is why diesel will run out if you withdraw before fully emptying your nozzle. BK.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi BruceKuga I hear what you say about the dangers fuel spillage caused in some cases by premature evacuation. Thanks for confirming that theflap does not lock, personally I think it should for obvious reasons.Any tubecan easily beinserted which opens thefirst inner flap. Secondly when jet washing the manual instructs you not to spray too close near flap, perhaps if this happens there is a chance that water may find it's way through flap and contaminate the fuel in tank. I feel certain some will argue, No Chance, my next question, then whyhighlightit? Bob.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have also commented before on Ford's failure to supply a 'locking' device for the fuel flap ( cost saver?) and was rebuked by another member saying he didn't know things were that bad in the area I live in.
Personally I can see how easy it would be for any hoody or other socially mischievous individual to simply push something down past the 'flaps' and into our fuel tank. Sugar for example can have a very adhesive quality and once in fuel system play havoc with injection etc. a cleanout would be very expensive. all for saving a few pounds.. if anybody knows where we can buy a locking 'cap' that fits and allows fuel flap to close please let members know,thanks.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks hornchurchmale agree 100 % with your comments and concerns. In the manual it advises you when using a jet spray, don't use it close to fuelflap? Ford's latestsales pluspoint is a fuel system that does not allow the wrong size nozzle to be inserted, butsays nowt about the system keeping water etc etc out, I sure some on here will argue well the fill tube has a internal second flap to prevent contamination personally I just think that by not having a locking fuel flapwhich leavesthe wholefiller/tank exposed is a little worrying, some vehicles have a locking flap and a screw cap the Kuga has none. Research & Development is a great concept, sadlyFord's development side is left to us lot, the customer. Evensomeone with just half a brain must realise that the Ford fuel filling systemisseriously flawed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts