Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So , after 3 years of ownership, i decided to get rid of this old model, and renew for something different.

I have been given an offer for a Kuga PHEV ST-line X and i am going for it. Colour is black , but they given it a new black colour name.
I get with a few extras but i am not sure how they fit into the UK packages, at least we got the St-Line X pack here now :) (although i do not think it has 19" included)

Papers are to be finalized next week, and i got an early estimation of delivery in may 2020 :) so i am very happy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So , after 3 years of ownership, i decided to get rid of this old model, and renew for something different.

I have been given an offer for a Kuga PHEV ST-line X and i am going for it. Colour is black , but they given it a new black colour name.
I get with a few extras but i am not sure how they fit into the UK packages, at least we got the St-Line X pack here now :) (although i do not think it has 19" included)

Papers are to be finalized next week, and i got an early estimation of delivery in may 2020 :) so i am very happy.
Have you driven one or are you being a brave pioneer?;)

They seem to be in short supply around here, with a demonstrator making a tour of the showrooms. Apparently I just missed out on one so have to wait for the next one to turn up. I know the hybrid driving experience is different to the conventional auto because of the CVT gearbox. I believe it is similar to the Toyota hybrids in that it uses two motor generators and epicyclic power splitting gearbox. Hopefully it will be more reliable than other auto gearboxes Ford have tried in the past as there is no torque converter, brake, clutches or chains to wear out and self destruct!

Unfortunately for me the PHEV is front wheel drive only but I might be able to live with that. The full hybrid (when it arrives) can be obtained with AWD but for some reason, probably cost, it uses a conventional prop shaft instead of a rear mounted electric motor.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you driven one or are you being a brave pioneer?
I believe i am being one of the brave pioneers , i have not found a test model either. Ive been presented Ford Mondeo hybrid but thats as close as i could get to one. And im told i cannot compare. I have only driven semi-automatics from Citroen but nothing electric. So yes, its a small bet somehow.

It might be important here to note, that in Denmark , taxes on this model is extremely low, and a regular 1.5 Ecoboost is more expensive(7000 £) than the phev with 2.5 liter gasoline engine and I save 1000s on roadtaxes, i can hope i really save on fuel economy too. Last at least some driving will be more quiet than usual :)
That alone makes up for the change to this model. So if i really dislike battery, i hope the gasoline driven ride will still be "automatic" as much as possible.

I am a 100% comfort driver, no speedy driving. And i am told, then a CVT can be fine. So im hoping my feet can adjust to this after 20 years with 3 pedals :)

And one thing i do when i get it, is counting buttons. It really looks like there are many,many buttons in that car.
I compared some reviews from Outlander, and they mention beeping alot, i hope Ford do not have this, at least not found it mentioned, but that might be because none have actually reviewed the real deal?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I compared some reviews from Outlander, and they mention beeping alot, i hope Ford do not have this, at least not found it mentioned, but that might be because none have actually reviewed the real deal?
There are quite a few reviews of the Escape hybrid (the US do not get the PHEV until later on in 2020) and I haven't seen or heard any comments about excessive beeping so I think you will be O.K.
If my current Kuga is anything to go by I can hardly hear some of the beeps and bongs anyway, particularly when searching for a parking space. I have only used the parking assist twice and now no longer bother with it. The indicator click is almost inaudible at speed and the tail gate warning beep is pathetic.

I will be interested in your review.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be interested in your review.
And i look forward to review my car in a few months time. When papers are signed in a few days time, i count the days , i believe.

·
Registered
88 Posts
And i look forward to review my car in a few months time. When papers are signed in a few days time, i count the days , i believe.
Just like dexterPicard i have taken the plunge and ordered a new Ford Kuga 2020.5MY ST-LINE X auto AWD 2 litre diesel frozen white with special edition drivers assistance and technology pack. With delivery late April/May. I thought long and hard about ordering the mild hybrid version but i was not impressed with only getting 30 miles before the battery needs charging.
Remember when Gordon Brown told all of us to change from petrol to diesel ! now government is now saying diesel is dirty and will now not be able to buy along with petrol and hybrids from is it 2035.
So i am going for a diesel engine which should be powerful enough to pull an auto box with AWD. I will let you know what the car is like in a few months time.
Jimbo

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just like dexterPicard i have taken the plunge and ordered a new Ford Kuga 2020.5MY ST-LINE X auto AWD 2 litre diesel frozen white with special edition drivers assistance and technology pack. With delivery late April/May. I thought long and hard about ordering the mild hybrid version but i was not impressed with only getting 30 miles before the battery needs charging.
Remember when Gordon Brown told all of us to change from petrol to diesel ! now government is now saying diesel is dirty and will now not be able to buy along with petrol and hybrids from is it 2035.
So i am going for a diesel engine which should be powerful enough to pull an auto box with AWD. I will let you know what the car is like in a few months time.
Difference today is that hybrids are really limited to the small battery, where plugin-hybrid utilize bigger battery and charging off-line (not driving) . You will always be driving diesel, i can by option be driving battery since city driving for me is most of my driving pattern. So even with 30km(i would say only 20miles reallife tests and Denmark is cold) on battery , i am happy and for longer trips a little bigger engine 2.5 (150ps) which should be feeling more powerful than my current 1.5.

So engine wise, i feel i made a good choice for my driving pattern city wise.

They already talk hybrids are obsolete in a few years, i believe PHEV models will at least be on the market for a longer time, and maybe even upgradable, in about 8 years time, when they mean batteries are worn out.

A Diesel Kuga here, road taxes would be 635£ , PHEV is 86€ , for 1yr.
The price of a new Kuga AWD diesel here would be 40.862£ , PHEV is 30.100£.

Price alone makes miles per litre alot cheaper over many years in Denmark. (We calc with km/l :) )

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First 2 Kuga PHEV arrived in Denmark (Registered with national car register and plates given to the cars).
The list shows many new cars ordered but not yet arrived to Denmark, are the PHEV in UK yet? I do not see any reviews on youtube yet. We got some very early (no driving) visual review of the PHEV ST-line here, but no feel of driving since they argue they are not allowed to drive the model.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Little update, my car is going into production, and i look at etis and i find a different name , than KUGA?

Primary Features

Build Date:11.05.2020
Vehicle Line:Trader
Body Style:Sport Utility Vehicle
Version:Series 66
Engine:VW 2.0L Dohc EFI

Really strange? Not Kuga, VW 2.0L engine?

I believe i got the VIN number right although car dealer left out the first 6 digits? (WF0FXX)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I too, look forward to the review and we’ll done for being a “PIONEER “.

I have been unreserved in my views on how it looks but after looking at the closest rival, VW, Skoda, Audi, I’m warming to it. I have asked the dealer to give me some figures but stated that there is no rush.

I was given a test drive of a Mondeo Hybrid, several months ago and I wasn’t impressed. If you pressed the accelerator with anything greater than a feather, the engine cut in. I later found out that it was just for setting off and speeds no greater than 15-20 mph. I only managed about 10mph before it cut in.

I watched a video last night on the Skoda Karoq hybrid. He was able to go to 70mph but said it didn’t last long at that speed and that the very high listed MPG, which I can’t recall, was a un-achievable and in the real world he was getting 32mpg. So apart from any tax and slight CO2 emissions it all seemed pointless. I am still interested and it’s definitely the way forward but it alarms me when you say hybrids will only have a small shelve life.

IMHO, I think people (manufacturers) are just grasping at trying show the lead on CO2 cut backs but in reality in the battery technology just isn’t there yet. Not unless mr alien comes along and shows us how it’s done.....fossil fuel will be hear for a while.

Good luck and hope the motor is a cracker..

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I too, look forward to the review and we’ll done for being a “PIONEER “.

I have been unreserved in my views on how it looks but after looking at the closest rival, VW, Skoda, Audi, I’m warming to it. I have asked the dealer to give me some figures but stated that there is no rush.

I was given a test drive of a Mondeo Hybrid, several months ago and I wasn’t impressed. If you pressed the accelerator with anything greater than a feather, the engine cut in. I later found out that it was just for setting off and speeds no greater than 15-20 mph. I only managed about 10mph before it cut in.

I watched a video last night on the Skoda Karoq hybrid. He was able to go to 70mph but said it didn’t last long at that speed and that the very high listed MPG, which I can’t recall, was a un-achievable and in the real world he was getting 32mpg. So apart from any tax and slight CO2 emissions it all seemed pointless. I am still interested and it’s definitely the way forward but it alarms me when you say hybrids will only have a small shelve life.

IMHO, I think people (manufacturers) are just grasping at trying show the lead on CO2 cut backs but in reality in the battery technology just isn’t there yet. Not unless mr alien comes along and shows us how it’s done.....fossil fuel will be hear for a while.

Good luck and hope the motor is a cracker..
Should you not be thinking of a B- max at your age lol. Hahahaha. Well you did say in your other post you gotta laugh. Your turn now....

·
Super Moderator
1,895 Posts
The taxation and price differential in Denmark make it a very attractive proposition.

However, in the UK, spending thousands of pound extra to lug around a battery with a real-world range of under 40 miles simply isn't attractive

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Mmm, let me think?

With age come the usual saggy bits and grumpiness, a waist line and liver that’s seen better days and what used to be a very tall ladder with me at the bottom of it, now sees me towards the top, pondering that the runs will soon run out. (Hopefully not too soon)
However, you also become blessed with beautiful grandchildren, wealth, a sense of saying what the chuff you want ooh and retirement. ( nearing 5 years aged 59). Lol.

A B max is really too old for me, so I’m not there yet, but the sliding doors (?) do have an attraction for throwing the the G-kids in and out. It’s almost like buying a BMW series 2, do you know what I mean, old duffer stuff.
Anyway, “Vinny” is my chosen chariot for the moment, sports mode is also entertaining, along with Elga’s hairy legs ( may have mentioned them before). Power shift is a blessing like the heated seats and steering wheel. Self parking Is better now at judging gaps than I am. City stop is my second pair of eyes, cruise eases a crampy right ankle Xenon headlights frighten other drivers, maim bean assist when can’t be arsed to do high beam. The electric swipe tailgate does make me look a nob at times when it doesn’t work and touch locking does confuse me when the car won’t lock and I have to do the Morris dancing pocket touch before realising the keys are still inside.
Apart from that, I’m good ya but that for the care you have shown to someone in the community, the Kuga community.
Ha, pmsl doing that. Well you’ve gotta laff.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
We are the same age but I knew that before I posted. Yes there are some positives that come with age and I try not to think about how many rungs of the ladder are left. I must be lucky reference the waistline as I am the same as I was 25 years ago. I did get a little porky a couple of years ago when I was doing a boring job and Asda were doing three packets of biscuits for a quid. I am not and never have been a big drinker although I do like a beer. They can stay in my fridge for months.

I envy your early retirement. That will certainly gain you some extra rungs. Ah grandchildren are extremely special, I have 2 aged 4 and 8. The youngest one keeps asking when is coronavirus going away so she can come and stay with us and the eldest one wants to know when the shops are open so she can go shopping with Grandma. It would appear my daughter has told my granddaughter that grandma has plenty of money lol.

Reading your post it looks like a Vinny will come in useful in your older age. By then though we may have cars that not only park themselves but drive you as well.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
My waistline has also been very good for the past few years but the virus had an affect on both me n the wife. The first two weeks were compounded with the usual associated unknowns and loss of appetite etc.
The morning Lounge Exercise was funny, which turned into walking etc.
I promised myself tho, that everything is on the plate now and that includes “Vinny”. Should the right deal come along, then you never know. I do really like him tho, not a moments issue with anything, good mpg, good likes, loads of kit etc.
I sowed the seed sometime ago and haven’t been active on it since.
One more thing that made me doubt all of the above tho......our Fiat dealer has just become a Kia. I noted yesterday a Kia Sportage that looked very nice. Just shy of £28k !!
Now knowing that “Vinny” was £40k new and I paid £23k, at 11 months old and he’s loaded to the hilt questions my sensibilities that knowing I can change doesn’t mean I should change....and depreciation is a wow factor. Luckily I’m in equity, just if the Parker’s market value is correct. Although I always consider all my cars to be worth more than that and the people that buy them as they can see that they stand out from the rest.

anyway, how’s that for a sensible Sunday morning post, rather than a loaded with bullshite and scoffing rant. Lol.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a few days left, and i am getting my new car :) I will post some pictures when i got it.

I already seen some youtube reviews and the engine at 206km/t on battery (max 135km/t) and full engine up to 206km/t , it is noisy on regular fuel engine but i must experience that here, and im not going for 206km/t more like 80-110km/t (danish rules) , so noise must be lower. That said, I believe the design is close to a Porsche, or i choose to believe that :)

I am looking forward to the new dashboard and the worst part , TPMS is now coded to each position, so not so simple to swap between summer and winter anymore, if Ford did not make room for 2 set of wheels.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you get a pressure reading on the dash instruments now as well?
yes, i have seen pics of the dashboard from american models, but in a few days i can confirm it is so for europe too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts