Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Just trying to find a Kuga at the moment and trade in my focus ST-3. We test drove the AWD version but what I wanted to know is what the 2wd version is like compaired to the AWD version.

Has anyone on here driven the 2wd version in bad weather and whats it like? We're trying to find one in Electric White which is not easy to do!

Thanks fir you help

Richard

·
Registered
368 Posts
Richard , My first Kuga was the 4WD and now I have the 2 WD ,
I dont go off roadmuch odd football field and thats it

so didn't need the 4 WD , saying that I park on aPark field yesterday to do the race for life run

and it was find pulling off easy (dry weather)

I got it in march so no bad weather yet here in Yorkshire

personally I cannot tell any difference in both cars when driving

but I have gone for the titanium this time which is nicer inside ,seats half leather

and I like all the extra on this model ,

I went from a ST-2 to the Kuga

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hendo - The AWD is not permanent, it only kicks in when the wheels start to spin then dis-engages itself when not needed.

With the 2WD you still have good ground clearance and as long as the ground is not really soft will get you going.

It will drive in bad weather like any other car. The 2WD will tend to wheel spin for longer in snow / ice but won't make any difference in rain etc. The AWD has off road / on road tyres fitted as standard, whilst these are not dedicated 4x4 they will give a little extra grip. Not sure about what tyres are fitted to the 2WD.

As I do a little off road (help a mate on a farm - used to use his car) I needed a AWD and really think it is the most sensible option as down the line I think they will hold there value better because of this, just look at the second hand price of a car and a 4x4 that both cost the same new when they are 5 years old.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think your right mark
You have to work out what you will use the car for

me its just going to work , shopping as us Girls do
and the odd trip to the Tip !

and the kids Taxi to football

when I had the 4wd and it snowned last year I had the day off , I hate driving in snow
left the kuga on the drive

·
Registered
374 Posts
I went for Titanium 2wd with all the extras I wanted, I felt better spent than £2k on awd, I dont need and dont miss as I drive on the road. For me, a waste of a lot of money.......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Undertaker, I agree.

I needed a car and a 4x4. A AWD SUV kills 2 birds with one stone. If you will never go off road other than up the kerb onto grass go 2WD.

Its funny nissan, sell very few AWD quasqui's, when speaking to a rep he said "Oh, you don't want one of them,go for a 2WD" butford kugaseems to be a equal split of 2WD and AWD kugas.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I didnt have a choice when i got mine therefore i have the AWD one. Like already said, it uses 2wd most of the time, but when the wheels slip then the Haldex clutch kicks in and its 4wd. Given the choice now, i would still have gone for the AWD one. Its just useful if i ever need it once in a blue moon.

Incidently Allen Ford in Leamington Spa has an electic white 2wd Kuga in the showroom.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys for the replies.

We sometimes get the bad weather up here in Aberdeen and I also have to do some driving futher north so I was thinking the AWD would get used for at least a few months of the year.

Has anyone driven the 2wd in bad snow? If so how did it drive?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hendo said:
Cheers guys for the replies.

We sometimes get the bad weather up here in Aberdeen and I also have to do some driving futher north so I was thinking the AWD would get used for at least a few months of the year.

Has anyone driven the 2wd in bad snow? If so how did it drive?

Hi Hendo, Worked in Aberdeen for two years and Know howbad it can be up there I have the awd down here in Dundee and its come in handy a couple of times just on wet Grass

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did see that frozen white Kuga for sale but when I comtacted them about it they would give me a good enough trade in on the ST so that deals a no go.

Can get a factor order Titianium AWD brand new for £18.5k so by the time I add the extra's I want it comes to about 20.5k with Electric White paint.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Must admit Allen Ford has always been very poor on Sales, they have been overpriced compared to the other dealership I use, Brooklyn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts