Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people.
I’m looking at buying a manual 2014 2.0 tdi Kuga with highish mileage 90000.
It has a full service history, not main dealer.

Is there anything that i should be worried or checking specifically for?
Are these generally reliable cars, and would anyone be worried about the mileage.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Hi people.
I’m looking at buying a manual 2014 2.0 tdi Kuga with highish mileage 90000.
It has a full service history, not main dealer.

Is there anything that i should be worried or checking specifically for?
Are these generally reliable cars, and would anyone be worried about the mileage.
Water in the boot well would be something to check. Some have leaked. Check radio works fully and Bluetooth connects to your phone.

Had my 2015 model for 2 years now and no issues. Others will list problems they have had but nothing else comes to mind.

Reactions: MrB

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,264 Posts
I suppose clutch and dual mass flywheel would be top of the wear items but not horrifically expensive (unlike an auto gearbox failure).

The 2l engine is quite stout really.

·
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
769 Posts
You'll be looking at a cam belt change before too long, just something to factor in cost wise.

Reactions: MrB and smartguy69

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Any issues with DPF?

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,264 Posts
Mk2 seems to be a lot better DPF system, they inject Diesel into the exhaust on regen where as the MK1 poured it into the cylinders.

·
Registered
69 Posts
112,000 miles here on mine - have changed all my belts.
I suggest you have a quick look at the battery to see if its the original ford one as I just changed mine.
Also check the air con works - turn on full - might be hard to work out at this time of year - mine failed last year and had to get it fixed. apart from that its been a dream and I am hoping it gets to 150,000 minimum.

·
Registered
743 Posts
My bit to add: Front discs corrode from inside, should be close to 3rd set at 90k,
Rear discs get a bad write up on here, so check them.
Both relatively cheap & available, & easy to do, your self or by a independent garage.

Rear arm suspension bushes, a few changed them already on here.

Shock absorbers with that mileage?

My Mot guy says Kugas wearing well, broken springs on the Mk1, as they are getting old.

·
Registered
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
865 Posts
Mk2s are pretty good and my previous 2014 diesel auto AWD Kuga had 46,000 on the clock when I sold it and I had zero problems with it - final MoT failed due to worn rear disc pads, so normal maintenance stuff really.

·
Registered
2014, kuga titainium, 2l duratorq, 163, now 204. AWD,deep impact blue.
33 Posts
i had my 2014 for 2 years had 71000 on when bought, now has 119000, dpf went immediatly after 1st lockdown, probably due to just driving 3 miles to tesco when needed lol. but apart from that it has been very reliable, had it remapped 11000 miles ago and still reliable, averages 490/510 per tank of diesal, tyres last ok, (had 4 wheel alignment. massive emprovement on steering response and rolling resistance. in general a bloody good car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your replies :)

I’m thinking I will keep looking as with that mileage and possible/certain costs it will be better to look for lower mileage one.

I currently have a 2018 ST Line on a personal lease but it’s going back soon.
It’s the 1.5 petrol and I’ve not been that impressed, only average 30 and it’s not exactly a quick car.
But it’s a reliable motor, servicing has been cheap, the only thing to go wrong is the fuel filler thing came out with the pump once.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
For the size, weight and non existent aero dynamics of the Kuga, I still think diesel before petrol

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Oh no, please don’t start that again, fuel preference. I can’t cope.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Any Kugas (petrol) been converted to LPG?

That way we can have a three way fuel fight..

Before we discuss which battery is best and hydrogen fueling problems.. Kuga owner club post 2045!

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
OMG , Long Life beer from the 70s. So many memories.

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
346 Posts
My 1.5 petrol manual does around 30mpg but only do short trips (a few miles at a time). so longer trips when I did 200 miles showed 43+. It was £5000 off brand new and as I cover only 2000 miles a year max was perfect for me. I had a diesel 2.2 S-Max before and was very happy with it. I bought petrol as there was a debate about the time about diesels being charged more in cities. Mine has been remapped so maybe the mpg figures reflect that but one thing I can say it is very quick when driven hard for such a heavy car and so far nothing has beaten it (even Kuga diesels) at the lights (when dry anyway as only 2wd).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How does yours drive with 200bhp?
How much is your insurance affected?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone on here remapped the petrol 1.5 auto?
They seem to be available for a good price.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Insurance not affected by filter or remap. Still only £275 with everything included. It is very lively in the wet I must admit and been known to sin the front wheels in the first few gears pulling away fast from a junction! 😁
In the dry though it's a different story if you use the full rev range. It feels as fast as my S-Max 2.2 TDCi did which was remapped to over 210 with a Bluefin. Through the gears if you keep the revs up it is actually pretty quick. Not as fast or lively as my old Focus ST but not far off either considering the weight of it. No worries about the DPF either on short journeys either. It looks as though a number of car companies are now releasing more medium-sized SUVs like the Kuga with petrol engines interestingly...

Reactions: MrB
1 - 20 of 20 Posts