Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a look at it tomorrow, from what I understand the problems with the powershift boxes are resolved for 2017 think the car was registered around july) Comes with full service history and 3 months warranty, mileage is 52k will be getting a tow bar fitted for pulling our caravan.

Any advice on issues to look out for would be much appreciated and do you guys think a price of just under 18k is reasonable, by all accounts its in very good condition..

Thanks

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,331 Posts
If there isn't written proof that the gearbox had its oil changed either at 36k or 37.5k miles depending on which service plan it's on then it would be find another car for me. Seems expensive but then cars are at present. I was looking at a 17 plate ST at the end of last year and it was less than what the dealer is asking for the one you have seen and seeing how the market has gone, I should have upgraded so for now I am keeping mine.

Check rear discs are not scored, water in spare wheel well and the rear lights are not loose and been rubbing on the paintwork. The consensus of the forum on AWD model is tyres should match across the axle and have similar wear to all four tyres.

Reactions: Steve x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, will certainly check the box service and the other points. I have done a little research on the current prices and it seems below average for the specs but then thats taking into account the higher mileage perhaps. A manual box and 2wd would save a lot of dosh it seems going by the site you suggested and I now have to ask myself if its worth 3k for an auto...

·
6,331 Posts
Yes it was a 2WD I was looking at. About £15k back then but lot less miles. I was in two minds but with lockdown last year I had only done about 3 to 4,000 miles and it didn't seem worth changing especially as we were in another lockdown when I was looking.

I have decided to keep mine and see how the market goes. If I was to change my car for one that was 4 years old it would cost me my car + £10k. For that I may decide contract hire a new one for 3 years and then decide to buy the car when it's 3 years old for £16.5k. The mk3 Kuga is going to be worth a lot more than £16.5k on the forecourt in 3 years time as you can see from the mk2 prices. If I did more miles I would think about it but for me 5k miles a year doesn't really warrant a new car unless the wife and I decide to drop to one car.

It's a vicious circle but I paid cash for mine so it's nice not having to pay a monthly loan or hire cost but our cars are not going to last forever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm re-evaluating after a lot of reading, I to only do about 4k a year and a lot mostly short journeys of about 7 miles into town, a petrol might be more sensible but I love the diesels for the pulling power.. we also tow a1200kg caravan for holidays....

After reading about awd I'm thinking do I really want to be changing all 4 tyres if one is written off with a puncher? the Welsh country roads take their toll on tyres and we dont go out in snow or go off road .. An auto is nice but again I'm wondering even if I need that and the extra cost of servicing and possible twin clutch replacements at some point.

Maybe I should even consider a 1.5 petrol..

·
6,331 Posts
I would always prefer diesel over petrol in the Kuga but from a cost perspective the petrol would be most likely be a cheaper option even with the low mpg.

The questions are really do you need AWD and how often do you use your caravan. I am sure there are many caravaners with just 2WD. The 1.5 diesel is extremely economical but is restricted to 120PS and would need mapping to pull a caravan. I am old school and have always wanted a 2 litre for caravan towing but if you don't use it much then it's possible it doesn't matter. There are lots of hills in Wales though to consider.

Perhaps some of our 1.5 petrol owners who tow can throw some input into the mix..

The Titanium model is quite a bit less when I was looking on EH site although I prefer the looks of the ST. I think the dealer is asking too much considering the mileage but that could be cost relative on your part exchange and you still need to have the gearbox service confirmed.

Check what yours is worth first on WBAC.com. We still don't know what is going to happen over the winter and if we will enter another lockdown, although that may have little impact on second hand car prices.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a 147hp petrol and I believe a 180 something, I wouldn't even consider a 120 hp for towing though I have towed with less in the past..

Ive never used an awd for towing and never had any issues so I guess that answers my question . I am wondering if a petrol with an auto would be a good match, it would certainly make it easier work with the lack of torque if I can pick one up with service history and lower mileage.

My current vehicle is a an old ford connect van 1800 tdci, one of the few in the range with a 1200 tow capacity, not worth trading in, love its pulling power though I do load up the rear end for stability.

It would be nice to hear from some towing 1.5 owners as to their opinions..

·
I am Batman!
Kuga ST - Manual 6 Speed - 200PS+ Petrol.
603 Posts
For towing you probably would want the diesel but if a petrol model comes up at a cheap price (like mine - a 6k saving from new on a 1.5 ST-Line manual) then it may make sense financially even if you went for a remap such as bluefin like I did from only a few weeks after owning it with no issues almost 2.5 years later. The main reason was for the torque increase from 240 to around 300+Nm - feels more like a diesel and obviously the extra 50+ horses help! I also don't tow a caravan so can't comment on that unfortunately. I'm now averaging 32mpg around town - can't complain especially as I do drive it enthusiastically from time to time.

·
Registered
2019 ST Line Edition AWD 180 Diesel
255 Posts
Not a caravan man but having had a 150 petrol there is no way I would want to use one as a tow car
For me it would have to be a 150 or 180 diesel also I personally would want the AWD it doesn’t take a lot of damp grass to stop a car with a van on the back
With the Ford IAWD you don’t have to change all four tires at once as the car is pretty much 2WD most of the time

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your comments,I'll have to wait and see what comes up locally at the right price now, I think a 2017 titanium+ specs 147 petrol might be a good option for the short hops and low milage and I can always re-map it if its a little low on torque for occasional towing but if a 2.0 happens my way at the right price then .... it gives me more of a scope anyhows and a better opportunity for picking something up in an area where the cars are thin on the ground, its like a 5 hour round trip to the nearest sales areas so have to rely on the small local backstreet garages to find something...

·
Registered
South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
1,417 Posts
I have a 2017 iAWD 180 2ltr TDCI which I bought in December 2017 ,registration in March 2017.with under 3 thousand miles and it cost me then around 18k so prices are high now,,I was offered just over 14K for mine last month with 52 thousand on the clock…as for towing a caravan I would go for a 2lt tdci I had mine from Evans Halshaw I had It brought down from Blackburn to South Wales to look at with no obligation to buy.didn’t even put a deposit down.Try their website,,,,again just a thought🤔

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,718 Posts
The 2l Diesel Powershift is an excellent car for towing (with the later gearbox which you are looking for).

Even with all the grief we've had with ours it's still a great car to drive.

I'd go for the 2l Diesel if you are towing personally.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts