Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Kuga 15plate 2.0lt Diesel Manuel
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone knew to the forum just after abit of advice.

My 15plate 2.0lt diesel manuel titanium kuga broke down today. Lost power (gone into limp mode) due to the engine overheating. Coolant was empty when I pulled over. Rac came out and topped coolant up. And told me to drive home and he would follow me. Made it home but lost some power going up hills. He told me to drive with the heating full blast aswell. But no heat was coming out. Coolant was still fine when I got home. Then drained after he completed the diagnostic. He thinks it could be either the water pump or thermostat. Just thought I would ask if anyone else has this issue or similar. And what the cause was.

Thanks in advance
Rich

·
Mr. Happy
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
1,700 Posts
Welcome to the forum Richiep8.
plenty of friendly helpful people with lots of experience to sort you out too.

Did he say where the water that was in there had gone to?
Any leaks in the system?
Pressure test the radiator and coolant system to check for leaks.
Hopefully it's not a head gasket or worse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum Richiep8.
plenty of friendly helpful people with lots of experience to sort you out too.

Did he say where the water that was in there had gone to?
Any leaks in the system?
Pressure test the radiator and coolant system to check for leaks.
Hopefully it's not a head gasket or worse.
Hi thank you for the reply.
No he didn't say where it went looked like towards the radiator. He was a bit miffed with it to be honest. There weren't any leaks to the naked eye but no pressure checks done. He said the engine wasn't very hot and he could touch parts he wouldn't normally be able to touch after use. Come at the worse time as my partner is about to drop any day.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,822 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Richiep8

Where there any warning lights on the dash. If the RAC man did a diagnostic, were any fault codes logged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. No warning lights. Only when it happend the temperature shot up and then it said Engine temperature to hot. Only thing on diagnostics was P0217. Engine coolant over temperature condition.

Thanks once again

·
6,822 Posts
I have only seen two coolant issues on the diesel engine that I can recall. One was a radiator and the other was a leak on the coolant pipes that go to the heater. Both of these had physical leaks.

With the car full of coolant and the engine running and warmed up, then if your heater isn't blowing hot then the water isn't circulating properly which points to either thermostat or pump like you said.

What mileage has your car done.

@MaoVi - didn't you have a problem with coolant on your car.

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
582 Posts
The problem is because you loose coolant, it have to leaking somewhere or it's burned (worst scenario - head gasket problem).
  • You have to start from underneath, check all pipes for firm fitting without any signs of leak.
  • EGR valve have to be inspected, it's made from crap plastic might be broken somewhere...

I had problem with water pump, but then I haven't got any coolant losses, just overheating and then power loss.

There is simply water pump test showed in 1:30 min:

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Todays development is that the power has completely gone. ☹

·
Registered
2009 Kuga tdci 2.0 4x4
54 Posts
With the car full of coolant and the engine running and warmed up, then if your heater isn't blowing hot then the water isn't circulating properly which points to either thermostat or pump like you said.
@MaoVi - didn't you have a problem with coolant on your car.
A stuck closed thermostat won't cause a lack of cabin heat. The heater circuit should have flow all of the time, whether the thermostat is open or not. A stuck open thermostat can cause the cabin heater to have poor performance as it stops the coolant ever getting up to temperature. The engine won't overheat in that situation however. The OP's situation is caused by a lack of coolant flow.

·
6,822 Posts
A stuck closed thermostat won't cause a lack of cabin heat. The heater circuit should have flow all of the time, whether the thermostat is open or not. A stuck open thermostat can cause the cabin heater to have poor performance as it stops the coolant ever getting up to temperature. The engine won't overheat in that situation however. The OP's situation is caused by a lack of coolant flow.
Obviously you are correct. I remember I had an old Talbot Alpine I think it was that had a blocked heater matrix and the car didn't overheat because of it. What a pig to replace that.

Always happy to be educated.

·
6,822 Posts
Todays development is that the power has completely gone. ☹
When you say power has completely gone do you mean performance from the engine or the car has no electrical power.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Sierra a good few years ago, after pressure tests and analysis for fuel or combustion gas in the cooling system it turned out to be the water pump impeller blades broken/eroded and weren't pushing any water around the system. Hopefully the quality has improved since then 🤞

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
582 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Sierra a good few years ago, after pressure tests and analysis for fuel or combustion gas in the cooling system it turned out to be the water pump impeller blades broken/eroded and weren't pushing any water around the system. Hopefully the quality has improved since then 🤞
Not really... My genuine water pump had component impeller and it last 58.000 miles and it looked that:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts