Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if any of the regular visitors of this forum can help me, but we took delivery of our 2.0 TDCi Kuga this morning and after 10 miles of driving the car lost all power on a major 'A' road. After switching off and leaving for 10 mins it was fine and then the problem repeated itself a couple of miles later. I have just 'googled' the problem and discovered this site. I will be calling the dealer in the morning. Am seriously unhappyas we have been strong Ford supporters and have never experienced this sort of problem with a new car over the past 20 years and have really lost confidence in the car due to the circumstances in which it malfunctioned.

Has anybody else experienced this problem and if so, can you shed any light on what the problem might be. Unfortunately I don't have a huge amount of confidence in the dealer network so any help / advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant to add that the temperature guage was in the top quarter of the guage when the problem initially occured and then re-occured. I did check the oil and coolant levels and these seemed fine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
When you say "lost all power", do you mean the engine actually cut out, or it dropped to preservation (fail safe) mode whereby it allows you to limp to a safe place to stop?

This has happened to me once on another vehicle (Renault) and I was astounded when I limped it to a dealer and they immediately connected it up to a diagnostic computer. Within about 20 minutes they hadreplaced the accelerator potentiometer and it was fine for the rest of the time I had the car.

Contact your dealer and give them the chance to fix it before you write it off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. To be honest, I am not sure if it did go in to Fail Safe mode? The engine didn't cut out and there were no warning lights on the dashboard, but it certainly wasn't driveable. It was almost like trying to drive with the brake's on!
I will give the dealer a chance to fix and won't be writing it off - we love the car itself, but were naturally very disapointed yesterday after spending a lot of money and p/x ing an immaculate Mk I Focus that we were very sad to say good bye to! Maybe, we've just been lucky, but haven't encountered a single problem on a new Ford for over 20 years (three Sierra's, two Mondeo's, a KA, a Puma and a MkI Focus)!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I know what you mean...confidence levels plummet as soon as something like this happens and you wonder when (not if)it will happen again. It's now up to the dealer to restore your confidence...

Fail safe mode is always accompanied by all the dashboard lights looking like a Christmas tree. When it happened to me (in a previous car), more lights lit up that I even knew I had. What you've described could have beenfail safe mode, but the lack of dash lights is odd.

Glad you still love the car. They *are* fabulous. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Safe mode is in many cases only accompanied with 1 light burning on your dashboard (in my experience).

I have had it with a VW Passat (after hitting a small pile) and with a BMW 3-series (new ECU software).

Don't know the number of lights on a Kuga

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All now sorted! New battery and thermostat have cured the problem. Ford Customer Services and the dealer (Gowrings) were excellent. Now looking forward to enjoying the car!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the problem that I reported on two years ago was resolved and we haven't suffered a single problem since.

Our AWD Zetec Kuga has been fabulous!

So happy were we with our Kuga that at the weekend we decided to chop it in for another one. Tomorrow we pick up an AWD163 Titianium with X Pack, Appearance Pack, Convienience Pack, DVD Sat Nav with Bluetooth and USB, 19" Wheels and Tyre Defalation System - in Panther Black.

The 'tipping' point was that depriciation was only £2K. After buying our Zetec with appearnace pack, parking sensors and bluetoothfor £17995, we have just got £16K for it with 18Kmiles on the clock. Coupled with £3K off the list price and low rate options cash plan, it was not a hard decision.

Can't reccomend the Kuga highly enough despite the initial teething problem that we had.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good to hear all sorted. I have had an episode where safe mode engaged. Got me home no problem but little power. AA towed to dealer where turned out to be a faulty diesel particulate switch apparently. Similar excellent service at Jennings and no recurrent problems. Picking up our new Kuga and Fiesta tomorrow though as really pleased with handling of both cars. My wife has even gone for exactly the same model and colour Fiesta as she loves it so much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Ukcobra,

Bought the car from Gowerings in Reading - Salesman was Craig McGifford and very helpful (this is the third car that we've bought from him and each time we have got a 'web comprable' deal or better - can't believe the deal that we got on the Kuga that we've just P/Xed). Have historically used Inchcape in Wokingham for servicing who aren't so keen to do a deal on the sale, but have offered better aftersales service and support.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts