Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

Brakes

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  kincraigkuga 
#1 · (Edited)
I have Recently got a mk1 kuga off my parents and when i Brake the steering wheel shakes like mad, i then thought warped discs or stick pistons, i then asked the parents has it always done this and they said yes and they have also put new brakes on it not so long ago so that threw me off a little, it has also passed mots with it being like this, anyone have any ideas or has had the same problem?
Its 2010 2wd tdi

#2 ·
Shouldn’t be any vibration at all, I would get the suspension n steering linkages checked asap

#3 ·
If it's only shaking under braking conditions I would deffoe have another look at the disc (warped), mine from dealer had a slight issue with shaking on braking and they said the disc were all good.
I took a mechanic (not a technician) out for a ride and under braking showed him the fault, following week they fitted NEW disc and pads under warranty.
But as phoneman has said it could also be steering problem making it shake.
Tyre pressure should be checked and also tyre balancing could be a potential problem shake?

#4 ·
Many years age my vauxhall had the same problem. 3 sets of discs later and still the same. It was the rear discs that was the problem, resonating from the back too the front making it look and feel like it was from the front of the car. Not saying this is the case, but have an open mind.

#10 ·
I had the same problem on my mark 1 kuga. After changing discs and pads twice the steering shake would return after a few thousand miles of use, I even used genuine Ford parts to see if that made a difference. I then decided to replace the front calipers as I had researched that the pistons in the calipers may have been corroded and then become sticky at a certain point after the pads have worn down a bit. For the 18 months I had the car after that there was no more shaking of the steering when braking. I managed to pick up used but fairly new calipers at the time from a salvaged mk3 2014 focus on eBay which happened to be the same as the Kugas for less than £30 each. Seemed worth a try and I was glad that it solved my issue. Not sure if your problem is caused by the same issue as mines was but I thought I would share my experience and you can decide if it’s a route you may want to explore. Hope you get it fixed one way or another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.