Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just got a 2016 kuga titanium x sport. Loving the car on the most parts but a couple of niggling issues....
The clutch pedal squeeks which is annoying, I've read some wd40 should fix that.
Secondly I get a slight judder on the brake pedal whne I'm braking, doesn't always do it though, so don't know if I'm braking too harshly adjusting to a new car or if I'm need pads or discs. My mate thinks my near side disc is corroded and needs replacing. Seen online that euro car parts have a 40%sale on certain parts. Has anyone had any aftermarket pads/ discs fitted that you recommend... Seeing all the issues on here relating to pads and discs I'm leaning to get some aftermarket ones instead of the oems ones. Or am I best sticking to the oems.. Any advice is really appreciated.. Thanks 馃憤

Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
Contact member ....Martin1977, hes done a lot of upgrading including brakes, sure he can advise you

Registered
I have Apec front discs & TRW (BMW OEM) pads - no problems, found the Ford OEM's very dusty.

The discs and pads are common to other Fords so plenty available at the right prices.

The front discs corrode like mad on the inside and you cant see unless you take them off!

Rear wise only changed pads so far to Ferodo pads (cable HB) found them hard at first and took a while to bed in, but OK since. Will replace rear pads & disc to Apec when pads worn out.

Front are easy to do, rears need wind back if cable HB or a sequence to wind back if electronic HB.
Plenty of posts on here regarding that

Super Moderator
Hi guys just got a 2016 kuga titanium x sport. Loving the car on the most parts but a couple of niggling issues....
The clutch pedal squeeks which is annoying, I've read some wd40 should fix that.
Secondly I get a slight judder on the brake pedal whne I'm braking, doesn't always do it though, so don't know if I'm braking too harshly adjusting to a new car or if I'm need pads or discs. My mate thinks my near side disc is corroded and needs replacing. Seen online that euro car parts have a 40%sale on certain parts. Has anyone had any aftermarket pads/ discs fitted that you recommend... Seeing all the issues on here relating to pads and discs I'm leaning to get some aftermarket ones instead of the oems ones. Or am I best sticking to the oems.. Any advice is really appreciated.. Thanks 馃憤

You main choices are Pagid or Brembo.

I have used Pagid for, literally, decades and did so on the recommendation of my local independent garage who will fit nothing else during servicing. He says that he gets no 'come-backs' on Pagid.

Given he has been there (fourth generation) since 1945 I guess he knows his stuff.

Registered
Had a service last week at main dealer, was advised to change discs and pads, minimum for front disc according to fitter is 23mm mine measured 22.98mm with 6mm on pads, rear discs minimum is 9mm mine measured 8.97mm with 4mm on pads, do you think there's a bit of life in them yet?

Super Moderator
Nope, 4mm is just over 1/8th of an inch. I wouldn't want a 'barely there' pad working on a below minimum disc to be my means of stopping.

Some say that you carry on to 3mm, I wouldn't.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah had pagid on my audi and my mechanic swore by those too. Peops seem to rave about brembo and them some say they aren't too great on the kugas.

Mr. Uses Lots of Words
I changed mine at the beginning of the year. I put Brembo pads on the back and all discs and front pads are mintex.

I changed the rear pads first and I don't recommend the Brembo rears. The lack of feel from the pedal was instantly noticeable and then I changed the rear discs which made no difference. Did the fronts about a month after.

The original pads on the rears were Valeo which were no doubt the original ones. If I was to do the rears again I would fit those.

No issues with the mintex discs and front pads.

Registered
Had a service last week at main dealer, was advised to change discs and pads, minimum for front disc according to fitter is 23mm mine measured 22.98mm with 6mm on pads, rear discs minimum is 9mm mine measured 8.97mm with 4mm on pads, do you think there's a bit of life in them yet?
Just to second NigelB.
Fronts: you might have some life left in the fronts, about 100 miles to think about it

Rears: As the disc gets thinner heat dispersal is less, that means the disc stays hotter that starts a never ending circle to failure. As pads get thinner, same thing, heat, then the friction material cracks, gives up and falls away.
Some say life of a disc is 2 sets of pads. (60,000 miles?) I say corrosion as well as mileage is a factor, especially on the rears.

Bread & butter stuff for a good independent garage, dont have to go to a 'stealer'

To fellow Kugaians heads up for a new thread in early August, due to 3 sites kicking off post lockdown the Kuga (up to now) has done 1500miles in July with more to come in the final days of July. Will report mpg, tyre wear, vpower vs tesco fuel, oil consumption, and relevant to this thread brake wear & other observations. And the reason I bought a AWD! (mud)

Reactions: Martin1977

Registered
Just to second NigelB.
Fronts: you might have some life left in the fronts, about 100 miles to think about it

Rears: As the disc gets thinner heat dispersal is less, that means the disc stays hotter that starts a never ending circle to failure. As pads get thinner, same thing, heat, then the friction material cracks, gives up and falls away.
Some say life of a disc is 2 sets of pads. (60,000 miles?) I say corrosion as well as mileage is a factor, especially on the rears.

Bread & butter stuff for a good independent garage, dont have to go to a 'stealer'

To fellow Kugaians heads up for a new thread in early August, due to 3 sites kicking off post lockdown the Kuga (up to now) has done 1500miles in July with more to come in the final days of July. Will report mpg, tyre wear, vpower vs tesco fuel, oil consumption, and relevant to this thread brake wear & other observations. And the reason I bought a AWD! (mud)
Yes, going to get the parts from 'stealer' as i have employee discount, then have them fitted in my local garage.;)

Frequently posts gibberish!
Yesterday I had a cheeky look at the front and rear pads as I鈥檝e mentioned before there鈥檚 a big service up.

So called three stealers, 拢141 fitted front, rear 拢144

I then asked for the costing of the 3yr service, 拢735!......and as Roy Walker would have say, 鈥淎ND THERES MORE鈥 . Vinny will need some new shoes soon. So 拢1500 ish.

So, this morning I shook myself, after codhead tho and drove to a Stealers showroom. They had almost every derivative of the new Kuga. I was given all the time in the world to have a good rummage around, and it鈥檚 official, I don鈥檛 like the inside. It just looks bland and dark. The Vignale faired better but at nearly 40k, my eyes bulged out!

So, Ive wound my neck in, as I even looked at some Toyotas, Peugeot鈥檚 and Mazdas. (Opinion here, that Mazda CX 5 or whatever it is, look awful). So all the bits he needs he鈥檒l get. That big service was only 拢500 last year.

In the past I would have done the pads myself but it鈥檚 time to give my knees a rest etc.

Mr. Uses Lots of Words
The brake costs are on Ford's website I think they are less than you have been quoted. Don't let the stealers rip you off just because you have a VIG NAIL.

All front discs are same size at 320mm but rear discs are more expensive with electric handbrake yet the pad size is only 1mm difference. Again a rip off for technology moving forwards or should that be backwards.

Registered
I must set up a Kuga garage to do this stuff!
Go for a walk and a pint / meal in the local area and Kuga sorted when you come back.

Smartgeezer04, I did check the ford site but couldn鈥檛 remember the cost. Had another look, so how comes the dealer can quote 拢88 more than the ford site.

Super Moderator
The dealer can quote like they like TBH it is actually illegal for Ford to fix the price that an independent garage (most are not Ford-owned) can charge for the work.

Mr. Uses Lots of Words
Smartgeezer04, I did check the ford site but couldn鈥檛 remember the cost. Had another look, so how comes the dealer can quote 拢88 more than the ford site.
Prices quoted by the stealers are cheaper than ford. I must have read your post wrong first time. 拢144 fitted for fronts is pretty good. I did mine and I think the discs were 拢80 and the pads 拢40. Rear pads were 拢23 and discs about 拢45 I think. As you have electric handbrake the pads are nearly double the cost and discs are more too.

If you car is 3 years old your discs should be ok. My rear pads were down to metal at 50k miles and only replaced the discs because they were corroded. I would just change pads and do discs next time if you still have the car.

拢141 front pads only, no discs!
拢144 same.

Mr. Uses Lots of Words
拢144 same.
Haha, I did read it right first time.

拢109 at ford for fronts. Your car is excluded from their rear price as it has EHB.

Registered
65 plate . Zetec . Powershift 4x4 .
拢144 same.
ive just done both on my kuga, dealer pads for the rear i got for 拢24 when i quoted euro car parts prices , they were originally 拢47 --- fronts i got off ebay for about 拢25 .

so 拢49 for both .

if i was buying discs , id opt for either brembo or pagid .

Is there anything on the big three year service, that an independent can鈥檛 do, that Ford can.
Ie, plug in checks etc?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts