Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

8 know this has been raised previously but I am at a loss as to why ford has short changed us as to the design of the luggage cover that leaves a gap that enables anyone to see the contents of your boot irrespective of privacy glass. My ST line also had the strip missing between the roller housing and reclined seats. Appears this was the same in all Kuga,s at the dealership. Went back to the dealer and got one from a 2018 titanium. Appears that the Escape version found on eBay has this extended flap but requires a clip fitted to the boot trim! sT line doesn’t have this either.

Doh! Is this poor design or just scrimping on parts/using those up in excess irrespective of fitness for purpose?

V

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Doh! Is this poor design or just scrimping on parts/using those up in excess irrespective of fitness for purpose?

Yes to both.

Some cars have no gap (none on mine) but some have the 'wide open space' and there is seemingly no logic to which have and which have not.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hi all,

8 know this has been raised previously but I am at a loss as to why ford has short changed us as to the design of the luggage cover that leaves a gap that enables anyone to see the contents of your boot irrespective of privacy glass. My ST line also had the strip missing between the roller housing and reclined seats. Appears this was the same in all Kuga,s at the dealership. Went back to the dealer and got one from a 2018 titanium. Appears that the Escape version found on eBay has this extended flap but requires a clip fitted to the boot trim! sT line doesn’t have this either.

V
It's an absolute **it design and obviously a massive oversight and whoever came up with the design is an extremely poor designer. You would never get something like that in a German or Japanese car. Probably the same person who decided to remove a spare wheel and to make the fuel cap unlockable. I have not tried this in the Kuga but both our fiestas on 09 and 12 plate, you could get access to the fuel filler when the car is locked.

My guess is it was missed at some point and they no doubt had thousands of the load covers on order or on stock so just left it. The load cover should fit the area and it's not like it's a rocket science design. The fact the rear seats recline is no excuse and even when in full recline there is still a 2" gap.

It would be nice to meet the designer of that particular item and show him or her what an idiot they are. No doubt comes from somewhere like Austria where they have practically zero crime.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Some cars have no gap (none on mine).........
What year is yours NigelB

Mines 2018 ST LIne X and I have the gap at the rear (tailgate end), which is only noticeable when approaching from the rear after unlocking the car, due to the loading bay light turning on.

Probably a good 2"- 3" gap at a guess (maybe even more, looking at the photo).

It's a bad photo (had to clear the frost).
You can just make out the curve of the tailgate plastic (bottom) and the shear edge of the load cover nearer the top, with load net in the base of the loading area.

Should mine have had a different load cover from factory, I wonder?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I see the later ones are shaped at the tailgate end to fit. Not hard to do that is it. Others have the extension piece which fits to the tailgate which is a %#&+ bodge.

This sort of thing infuriates me because it would be so simple just to design it right to fit the gap.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Of course this design flaw has been around since 2013 when the MK2 was introduced plus the 2 or three years in developement, so surely someone would have noticed it and they probably did, but there is a clear philosophy in Ford of 'It Will Do', even if it looks like Krap. From that you wonder what kind of pride they have in their product. There are several unfinished aspects of the Kuga which have been carried over from the initial introduction of the MK2 which Ford must know about, they are automotive designers aren't they, they do look at the competition don't they and I'm sure Kuga willl have earned them a pretty penny.

I

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
So even the top of the range doesn't include the modification, what does that say, well apart from you can have the fix at an extra cost.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I was looking at buying the extension piece and there was some info on here with the ford finnis code. However, when I googled that part number it came up as being for the MK1 and not the MK2.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gap still there with seats reclined, many covers have the rear flap missing too, that why I swapped this at the dealers! No consistency

V

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bought the extension and clips looking for some sort of fix bit no where to fir the clips unless I drill the trim! Also looks a bad design so wasted my cash. Now bought some foamex to cut n fit with Velcro. Cannot believe I’m doing this!!!

V

·
Registered
621 Posts
As mentioned by OP, I have an -almost- complete giude on how to get and install the necessary bits, with codes, prices and some photos (don't know if these show up after Tinypic went the way of the dodo). You can also get the proper rear panel with the necessary holes for a hassle-free plug-'n-play DIY job, but (a) this increases the total cost of the mod, and (b) it's a 20-minute job to mark and drill these holes in our own tailgate panel.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
No doubt comes from somewhere like Austria where they have practically zero crime.
You get dead locking doors, a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm and laminated side glass in the UK. Order one in Australia and you miss out on those features but still get the same gaps.

If you've got factory tinted glass it's very difficult to see in. I actually leave the cargo cover out of mine, I do keep a black piece of cloth that I can cover anything in the boot with.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Our 67 reg Vignale has the fall to the rear seat. I noticed yesterday when messing about inside that there is a good gap though between the shelf and the plastic on the tailgate although it does angle up so maybe it would be hard to see in.
never bothered me when I had a kuga with the gap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here’s my fix for it as my main dealers couldn’t get the parts or even had a clue about the issue on both my Kugas or all they’ve sold

1 - 17 of 17 Posts