Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, It's sat on the shelf behind me for 12 months waiting to be installed.

I'm thinking of doing it now, so need some advice from anyone who's fitted this camera combo.

I was sure someone on here had done it and posted a how-to, but cannot find it.

Basically need to know the best way to feed the cable from front to back while having the panoramic sunroof.

Also, feeding the rear camera cable through the grommet in the lift gate and also whether top or bottom is the best placement for the rear camera.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the DR750s 2 ch, in mine. I also have the power magic box. As most people have, it's fused on F85, I can't remember which fuse the yellow wire goes to but it's a permanent 12v. I ran the cable along the side of the roof liner, you can get it under the ribber quite easily and just tuck it over the top of the plastic on the B pillar. You can ease the roof lining down at the hatch and get your hands in enough to 'pop' the clips out of the roof. The grommet is easy to push out and big enough to feed the cable through easy enough, it's easier if you have a plastic rod to push through and tape it to. The middle trim on the hatch comes off easy enough, there's either 4 or 5 clips along it's length. My rear camera is at the top and the front is behind the rear view mirror and can't be seen from the drivers seat. It does have a tiny it of the middle chunk of plastic in the camera view but it's a small trade off for it being hidden behind the mirror.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Hey Ripperoo, I wonder why you waited 12 months to fit your camera, I bought my 750s 2CH in June 2018 and fitted it in Jan 2020. My lack of enthusiasm was because I'd already got seperate front and rear cameras and mainly because you couldnt directly download files to a computer other than through (unless you pay) a limited time/data cloud access via the 750s Wi-Fi that connects to your own Wi-Fi. Of course you could directly download the files to your smartphone. A few owners made a request for direct access to the 750s via the home HotSpot to me included, but while it was acknowledged by PittaSOFT (what an apt name), they did nothing about it. I've noticed the lack of updates to the BlackVue range of late so I wonder if they are pulling out of the game.

Sorry about the negatives, but I too mounted my front camera exactly the same place as above, the rear camera I have run cables under the lining edge to the rear. Was it worth fitting, well I dont view my near misses as much as I used to (only the ones where a layer of polish got removed), and just carry out the recommended regular reformat. Good camera otherwise.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
When mounting you have to remember camera needs to be within the sweep area of the rear wipe for clarity

·
Registered
908 Posts
when I fitted my rear one and also removed it recently when I sold my Kuga
I had lots of problem with the rubber tube that goes from the body to the tailgate
you have to take one end of to feed the wire through and the only way I could refit the rubber and keep it watertight was to silicone the rubber in place
I have just refited the camera's in my new car and despite the maual saying I have a internal fuse box I can't find it
I want to hardwire my back up battey
Our local dealer is shut for the lockdown
Still miss the Kuga and still watch the forum

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Ripperoo, I wonder why you waited 12 months to fit your camera...
Also lack of enthusiasm as well as some health/mobility issues (back & knees) . :(

I bought my 750s 2CH in June 2018 and fitted it in Jan 2020
Jees, I thought I was bad. LOL

I've noticed the lack of updates to the BlackVue range of late so I wonder if they are pulling out of the game.
Well, that doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I did nearly throw it in the bin to be honest. Might have felt different if I hadn't cameras in already, may only have taken a year to install it. :)

Oh I also have the power magic but I'm not sure it will work well on the Kuga as the voltage can be at the trip voltage even when driving so I didn't fit it. Geoff (Kuga4574) probably has te best idea and use the Battery pack.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I ran the cable along the side of the roof liner, you can get it under the ribber quite easily and just tuck it over the top of the plastic on the B pillar.
Keep in mind you've got side airbags that deploy from that area. The cable could get caught up in them if the worst happens and you have an accident. That's one of the reasons I went for separate cameras front and rear. I was going to buy a dual and run the cable along the floor, but none of them seem to supply cables long enough to route them that way.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mine is a Nextbase 522, the cable to the rear runs along the floor under the door trims, then up thro the boot area side trims and the flexy rubber tube to the tailgate. Plenty of length with a meter or so of spare cable. Thought it better to keep low down to miss the air bags as murcod noted above.

·
Registered
484 Posts
My uncle is going to sell his Blackvue power magic battery pack B-112 on eBay soon,,well he is given it to myself to sell on my eBay profile as he don’t have one..I don’t think he has used it.think he wants £80 plus postage.
Just in case if anyone is interested here before I put it on eBay next week..along with a brand new unused Garmin dash cam 56,a garmin dash cam mini and polarized filter for the front camera,.i think the garmin 56 has been taken out of the box to look at but never used.

Ross

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Fortunately the route of the cable via the edge of the roof trim is well out of the way of the airbag.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Keep in mind you've got side airbags that deploy from that area. The cable could get caught up in them if the worst happens and you have an accident. That's one of the reasons I went for separate cameras front and rear. I was going to buy a dual and run the cable along the floor, but none of them seem to supply cables long enough to route them that way.
Yeah, I'm well aware of the airbags, I made sure to keep it away from them, you can see them inside the roof lining.

My rear camera plugs into the front camera so I didn't see the point in running it along the floor only to come all the way back up the A pillar to the top of the windscreen, not to mention if there was even enough cable to do it that way.

Fortunately the route of the cable via the edge of the roof trim is well out of the way of the airbag.
Yeah, I agree.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Watch this from 30 second mark. I don't know how you could avoid that sort of explosion when tucking the cable in along the roof trim?

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I saw the word AIRBAG prior to installation so was quite conscious of what may be lurking along the route the cable was taking. The cable in mine lays across the line the rubber door trim takes, so it is no where near the airbags in the roof. If the roof lining is pushed up slightly at the B pillar you will see there is nothing actually behind the roof lining or the B pillar trim.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Les, what rear view camera are you using ? My nextbase rear wipes out my DAB as soon as the power cable goes near the top of the hatch?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Watch this from 30 second mark. I don't know how you could avoid that sort of explosion when tucking the cable in along the roof trim?
I'm not sure what your issue with me is, but luckily for you it's in MY car and not yours!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts