Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Big Red has been very much neglected over the last 12 months or so, so have been treating her to some TLC over the BH weekend.

Should have taken some before and after photos, but never thought asbout it until now.

Spent the last 4 freaking days (on and off) cleaning, clay barring and polishishishishing. That's like normal polishing, but it took forever (All bleedin' day today in fact).

Vacuuming and alloys took most of Saturday. :confused:

Mainly due to the criminal amount of baked on brake dust (fronts) and Ford's velcro carpets that wouldn't let go of little bit of debris dust and fluff easily.

The carpets were minging though as not been touched for probably all of the last 12 months, I'm ashamed to say.

Not being as mobile as when I was a nipper, with my knackered knees and back, everything has taken a little bit (or a lot bit) longer than it used too.

Totally gutted at the number of stone chips I've found on bonnet, leading edge of roof, and rear doors and will have to find a way to have them touched up.

Smart repairs hopefully and open to suggestions.

Wax tomorrow, if it stays dry and that should be her done for a good while.

Kuga Left.jpg Kuga Right.jpg

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
The water based paint doesn't help. If I pick up paint for home and it says clean brushes in warm soapy water I put the tin back on the shelf where it belongs.

Nice job on Big Red.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice job on Big Red.
Cheers.

She needed it!.

I'm ashamed to say I have never neglected a car in my life like I did with BR over the last 12 or so months. Given myself a slap or two!

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
Cheers.

She needed it!.

I'm ashamed to say I have never neglected a car in my life like I did with BR over the last 12 or so months. Given myself a slap or two!
I wouldn't feel too bad. I have neglected mine a bit too. I said I would never put anything in this car apart from passengers and food. Doing a building project from my son meant it has coving, skirting, plaster, sand (bagged) in the car. Not to mention rubbish and other stuff. My boot looked like a tool outlet for weeks. It took me ages to clean the inside but did mine for MOT.

I just don't have the time to take proper care of mine. Its gets a wash and sometimes a dry off but there always seems to be something more important to do. I haven't polished a car since the 90's.

·
He's in Denial!
2,299 Posts
I’ve fallen out with washing mine as well, down to twice a week. Plus my water rates have gone up £2 a month.

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
I’ve fallen out with washing mine as well, down to twice a week. Plus my water rates have gone up £2 a month.
Another 4.99% on council tax too. More than double for the year than it was 21 years ago when I moved here. At least when I win the lottery it gets capped at band H i think. No wonder all those who own Castles are smiling.

Hopefully this year I may have more time to spend on the car. Water is the cheapest and most essential of the utilities and I may waste a little more on the car. I may take it round to @Psshaw 's so he can show me how to throw some snow at it, cover it in clay and make it look proper and shiny.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The water based paint doesn't help.
Anyone tried 'Chipex' to repair stone chips?

The results look OK and probably good enough for what I need it for, but gonna have to try and find a discount code, because £35-£40 is (n)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Anyone tried 'Chipex' to repair stone chips?

The results look OK and probably good enough for what I need it for, but gonna have to try and find a discount code, because £35-£40 is (n)
Still a tight arse then.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still a tight arse then.
Aye!(y)

If I can save it in one place, I can spend it somewhere else!

Anyway, I need another Meguiars bucket to add to my collection, so any savings can go towards that! LOL

·
Mr. Forgetful
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
1,216 Posts
I'd love to clean my car properly, but I loathe cleaning my car and then it just gets dirty again within a few days - if anyone is bored, they're welcome to come and give mine the works :LOL:

Reactions: Ross J

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ripperoo,
Managed to get eleven chips on mine done for 40.00 by a local smart repair company. They are so good cannot even spot or feel them. Should have taken some before and after pics but forgot.
Yours looks great cleaned up, especially in that colour, well worth the Easter treat. Mine is still thick with dust from the Sahara but will try a clean perhaps this week if it’s not covered in snow or not too cold. Nice to see you back again.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Managed to get eleven chips on mine done for 40.00 by a local smart repair company.

Yours looks great cleaned up, especially in that colour....

Nice to see you back again.
Not a bad price, but unfortunately, being in the back of beyonds has it's drawbacks, one of which is a shortage of these types of affordable services.

I remember getting alloy wheel cover with a GAP policy a few years back (on another car) and the nearest ftranchised Alloy Wheel Repair guy was approx 3 hours away and I spoke to him on the phone to arrange a suitable date, could tell he didn't want to do the job of fixing a few little kerbages. Saw the invoice he was submitting once (for one wheel) and it was under than £100 for what was in effect a full day (of mostly travelling). Not a lot, when you consider all the overheads of being a franchise (van, equipment, income tax & NI).

Reactions: Les

·
Registered
2015 TDCi 150 Zetec with all optional extras
29 Posts
What gets my back up, is washing them, the next day they are covered in sand.
I used to often wash them in the rain, never dried before rinsing, a quick hose, and let the rain do its thing. These days it would be like washing them with sandpaper

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
Do you live by the sea or close to a gravel company.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I sometimes wash the cars in the rain - takes half the time as no drying required and rainwater doesn't leave streak marks either! I do have some strange looks though from dog walkers walking past....

Reactions: Les

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
I have washed mine in the rain too, sometimes not intentionally. If I had gone out to do it at lunch I would have been washing it in the snow.

·
Registered
2015 TDCi 150 Zetec with all optional extras
29 Posts
Do you live by the sea or close to a gravel company.
Village in Staffordshire. Will have to take a pic or two. Quite often after it has rained, the motors are sprinkled with sand.
Has been happening for years, first time I noticed it, was the last time I washed it in the rain.

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
Village in Staffordshire. Will have to take a pic or two. Quite often after it has rained, the motors are sprinkled with sand.
Has been happening for years, first time I noticed it, was the last time I washed it in the rain.
I used to work near a company that shot blasted steel outside. Not good for cars and they had quite a few claims before they moved it inside. Luckily where I worked it was shielded but the company next door to where the steel fab place was had quite a few cars with surface rust.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still a tight arse then.
Could only manage to find 10% off! :(

Bought the large Chipex kit @ £38.95 (inc postage), not as cheap as I would have liked, but hey ho!

What I found a bit odd was the colour code as shown on the VIN plate is KD and a quick comes back showing that Dark Blue in a few places?

Chipex has two colour codes for Ruby Red, which are DSTEWTA and RR, just to confuse things even more. LOL

I have seen another Ruby Red Kuga VIN plate on the interzones though and that also had KD as the colour code. My heed is battered!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts