Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ps for the sensible answers such as the one saying they fitted the Halfords battery, and the answers about BMS etc plus other sensible replies then without doubt I thank you, I’ve an Autel diagnostic kit that I can plug into the OBD it’s got a massive data base and switches off service lights and finds out why there are faulty lights coming on so once I’ve fitted the new battery, using the voltage saver while I’m doing it of course, whether my AUTEL diagnostic box of tricks will allow me to reset the BMS will be to find out further down the road, failing it working I’ll be more than happy to get ford dealer to reset it.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Just get the damned battery properly tested.

If it's failing you need an Enhanced Flooded Battery (EFB) to pattern AFB110E - simple as that.

It probably won't radically improve your stop/start performance but if it makes you feel better - spend the money.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My start stop is the best I've ever had in a car. It's stopping and starting now, although a week or two ago it didn't stop for a day or so, I guess because I'd only done some local short trips... Yes it does stop less in cold weather when the heated seats/wheel are on, but then the compensation is that AC is kept off by the car (even though the dash light shows on)...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ps for the sensible answers such as the one saying they fitted the Halfords battery, and the answers about BMS etc plus other sensible replies then without doubt I thank you,
My original battery is still O.K. but the Stop/Start rarely works for most of the reasons already stated.

I have used Halfords batteries in the past and they always seem good value and are much cheaper than those from Ford, particularly if fitted.

If you want to buy a new one just use your reg number on their web site to find the one you need. Mine is EFB110 (5 year guarantee) which is £112 or £137 fitted. Just check the date code to make sure it hasn't been sitting on the shelf for too long and if you want it fitted that they will reset the BMS. This is essential but not sure how you can check if this has actually been done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sounds like a plan, I had more time to check existing battery today as not at work, it’s definitely on its way out, engine running I had 15volts from alternator to battery, drove car for 45 minutes with everything that could be switched off was definitely off, outside temperature was 11c and no start stop function, pulled on to drive when I got home and again no stop start function, turned engine off and checked battery with multimeter within the time it took to release the bonnet and remove battery cover, and battery was down to 12.3, I had my caravan battery at home on charge last week and I checked that after 4 or maybe 5 days and still showing 12.9 volts so I think it’s safe to say existing ford battery has seen better days, I’m not a fan of Halfords but I might have a word and see if they reset the BMS and I’ll take it from there.

BP

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do you know anyone local with forscan to reset BMS ?... from Hull myself if you are near 10 min job ..... :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I don’t know anyone with forscan but know several people who might have it or access to it, thanks for the post.

BP

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
with my wife being the main user of the Kuga it will not get used much at all as she hates it and switches it off anyway
??? You want to replace the battery so the wife has to turn the stop/ start off all the time? Have you consulted her on the plan to fix it?
I’m not going to need to do all the resetting as I’ve a gadget to plug into cig socket to keep powered up while changing battery, not sure it will automatically recognise the new battery
That's a separate issue to reseting the battery life data.
if you want it fitted that they will reset the BMS. This is essential but not sure how you can check if this has actually been done.
If you check with ForScan it will give you the battery SOC (State Of Charge) figure and the number of days the battery has been fitted. Something to note is the SOC can only be accurately calculated after the vehicle has been left sitting for > 3hrs with < 100mA (IIRC) being drawn from the battery. That check needs to be done every 7 days at a minimum, so if there's anything draining power when the vehicle is sitting the BMS won't be working properly.
within the time it took to release the bonnet and remove battery cover, and battery was down to 12.3, I had my caravan battery at home on charge last week and I checked that after 4 or maybe 5 days and still showing 12.9 volts so I think it’s safe to say existing ford battery has seen better days
Were the interior lights etc on when you checked the car's battery voltage?

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
And battery saver relay will be still on. Mind you, 12.3V (accuracy) does seem a little low even with sidelights and battery saver on.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Seems we cant edit, I mean interior lights and battery saver on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi guys, I was going to say that interior lights were definitely not on and I’d still say that interior was off as all doors were closed, but I need to check to see if interior light was on due to bonnet being up, I’ve never known an interior light come on with the bonnet on a car previously but maybe it’s an idiosyncrasy of the Kuga, I‘d like to check battery voltage again this morning before it’s been started to see what voltage is after around 15 hours since last started and also to check if interior light stays on with bonnet up but not sure I’m gonna have time as got an early appointment to be at but I’ll try and get a reading, regardless of any further findings from here onwards I’m going to change the battery, I had a price from a ford dealer for ford specified battery which was 145, I told him who I was and that I go in there to do jobs for the dealers and he said he’d do it for me for 125, I’m gonna call in there in the week and see if I can get him to throw in the BMS reset at that price as well.

BP

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,
Changed battery recently on my Titanium 4x4, did the change 'from the front', rather than strip the wipers etc, 25minute job that way, air filter box out, undo the electric panel forward of the battery, ease it forward, disconnect the earth then the live terminals remove battery clamp, slide battery out, refit reverse order. no resetting to do !!!!
Stop start requires an AGM BATTERY, takes more 'hammer' than normal ones, mine was standard, £99 delivered, online purchase....
(there always is quite a drain on the Kuga battery when parked up !)

good luck

Paul S.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
How much drain Paul, should be very low?

·
Registered
16 Posts
How much drain Paul, should be very low?
[/QUOTE]
Not checked actual drain but battery when having been stood shows signs of reduced output (a few days stood !)

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
OK. It was the 'quite a drain' I was surprised at. It is or should be very low, allowing you to leave the car for at least a couple of weeks if its charged but even at Fords worse case drain suggests a 75ah battery to get to half discharged would be 350 hours and at expected drain of 5 times that. I guess we have variations on the theme :)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts