Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2015 Kuga titanium 2litre diesel, 180 BHP all wheel drive, stop start a bit hit and miss so id like to replace battery, I’m thinking 75ah and specified for start stop, does it have to be or is it recommended it’s a calcium battery

Beepee

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi Beepee
welcome to the forum,the stop start won’t work all the time, it’s something to do with the temperature,that’s what I was told my a Ford and RAC mechanic.It won’t work all the time with my kuga or our ST,same with our VW and fiesta work vans.
enjoy the kuga.

Ross

·
Registered
663 Posts
There are several factors that affect the start-stop function. As per the manual:

The system may not shut down the engine under certain conditions, for example:
  • To maintain the interior climate.
  • Low battery voltage.
  • The outside temperature is too low or too high.
  • The driver door has been opened.
  • Low engine operating temperature.
  • Low brake system vacuum.
  • If a road speed of 3 mph (5 km/h) has not been exceeded.
  • The driver safety belt has not been fastened
So don't replace the battery just because the start-stop doesn't work all the time, it may still be a perfectly working battery

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it’s dependant on all sorts of things such as outside temperature, items switched on such as hear blower, radio wipers to name but a few, I just want to have the best chance of it kicking in so thought I’d change battery as it’s just above 4 years old, I just want to get the right spec battery but not pay through the nose by going to a ford dealer, thanks for the reply though Ross.
Beepee

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m aware of all that, but the only time I get the start stop to function is if I unplug dash cam, switch off radio, switch off heater, switch off lights, ensure not got indicator flashing, drive car for half an hour, outside temp is up near 10c, not sure what else i can switch off, even doing all of the above it only works occasionally

Beepee

·
Registered
663 Posts
It could be a low charge, drop by a specialized shop if you can to check the battery, see if anything's wrong. 4 years eh ? Not that many, but also enough for a bit of wear'n'tear on the battery...

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Any good independent garage will only charge you a few quid to check the quiescent voltage of the battery, the running voltage and also the alternator output.

Four years is 'good' for a battery nowadays (I'm an old fart who qualified as a battery engineer back in the late 1970's).

If the battery is identified as duff watch out for special offers at GSF and EuroCarParts (these are often midweek 24-hour specials) as they have, in the past offered 65%off new batteries.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I’m aware of all that, but the only time I get the start stop to function is if I unplug dash cam, switch off radio, switch off heater, switch off lights, ensure not got indicator flashing, drive car for half an hour, outside temp is up near 10c, not sure what else i can switch off, even doing all of the above it only works occasionally

Beepee
So it's not working as often as you like- is the fuel saving your concern? A new battery is going to cost a lot of money and you're supposed to get the Battery Monitoring System reset when the battery is replaced. If you aren't keen on disassmbling some of the vehicle you'll have to pay to get the battery fitted and if you haven't got an OBD2 interface (and software like ForScan) you're going to need to pay Ford to reset the BMS. So factor that into your battery cost.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
As Nigel says, get the electrical system checked out, particularly that the alternator is charging. Your not mentioning any starting problems so one can guess the battery is being charged but at what state of charge is it in for the stop start not to function when what looks like next to nothing electrical load is applied to the electrical system. As Murcod says, its going to cost to juts have the battery replaced and then it doesnt stop there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Morning all, I’m grateful people have taken time and trouble to reply but it seems that we are not getting anywhere, I want to have the stop start working as it should simply because if Something is there it is annoying that it doesn’t, I’m not trying to save money on fuel, I’m not trying to save the planet by reducing emissions I just simply want things to work as they are meant to work, with my wife being the main user of the Kuga it will not get used much at all as she hates it and switches it off anyway, so to make it clear, I’m not trying to save money, so I’m prepared to buy a new battery I just want to be sure I’m buying the right battery type with the right spec, even ford dealers aren’t really clued up, I call and get a price for a new battery but when I ask whether it’s a calcium battery, what the AH & CC spec is I get various answers with the most often answer being “the computer says this is the battery for my Kuga and get no answer as to what type etc I’m getting, I accept that but I want to know what I’m getting and why, that is what seems to be unanswerable.

Beepee

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
You actually measured the current out of the alternator and possibly into the battery, particularly after starting? As I mentioned above, you dont say you have issues starting!

Its an AGM type battery, but I think what people are saying is make sure its a battery problem particularly as its a bit of a task replacing it..

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
This was a procedure I'd found in 2017 for Mondeos to reset BMS (thanks to TalkFord community)

1. Get in to the car and do all from points 2 to 4 within 10 seconds.
2. Turn on ignition with engine off (key in position II) .
3. Turn on and of 5 times rear fog light switch .
4. Turn on and of 3 times hazard light switch .
5. If everything goes OK battery light will flash 3 times on cluster within next 15 seconds.
6. Reseting BMS counter finish.
Little tips before questions start, to make fog lights working you need to do this with headlights "on".
This procedure is also applicable to Ford Smax which got battery counter.
These models which don't have battery counter this procedure simply do nothing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Filco, I’ve no problems whatsoever with starting, battery seems a little bit low when engine off, goes down to 12.9 fairly quickly, from 14 ish with engine running, battery original looking at it as it ford badged battery, I’m not going to need to do all the resetting as I’ve a gadget to plug into cig socket to keep powered up while changing battery, not sure it will automatically recognise the new battery, I know what you mean about removing battery with wipers etc coming off but that’s not a problem.
BP

·
Registered
870 Posts
if you don't reset BMS it will not know you have fitted a new battery
Ford's only charged me £24 some years ago to do mine on my mondeo because I fitted a new battery myself and still had problems
We now have the software to do it ourselves
The BMS stores a lot of info

Ps I changed mine without removing the wipers

·
Registered
682 Posts
If I were you I would wait until it gets warmer before you decide to replace what could be a very good battery. I have a 15 plate still on its original battery and my stop start worked just fine until it got colder. I actually don't like the feature and sit in traffic with the engine running and in gear or turn it off if I want to put the car in neutral. It is not just the state of the battery that determines whether the stop start function works but other criteria as well as if that criteria isn't met, even with a brand new battery, the stop start function will not work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wonder how many more people will want to tell me to wait until outside temperature is up and that for the start stop to work it needs to meet all the criteria such as temperatures of car, outside, what’s switched on and is drawing current from the battery and preventing it from operating the start stop, maybe if I get another 27 people telling me I might have a good battery then I might have to say to myself I think I might have a perfectly good battery so I’d better just leave start stop not working as ford in their wisdom has set the parameters for the stop start to function so high that it’s completely none functional, keep answering guys and maybe gals.

BP

1 - 20 of 42 Posts