Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,871 Posts
That's hilarious! Preying on the vanity of people to sell more vehicles. :D
There's probably a lot of truth in what you say. For some reason in the UK we must have a system which shows your status lol.

The system means that when you are looking for a new second hand car, some examples are more attractive than others simply because the plate shows it's slightly newer. Some people will discount what are very good examples of cars with low mileage just because it carries an older plate. A newer plate looks better in the drive and impresses the neighbours. Our new year number comes out in March so this year all new cars would be a 21 plate for the year but then changes to a 71 in September then next year would be a 22 plate in March and then a 72 plate in September and on it goes.

When looking for a second hand car the year on the plate becomes very important. We have seen a bit of that in this forum on new cars for the mk3 where people have waited from the early part of the year to ensure a new plate in March.

It ends up being a bit of a vicious circle when buying second hand with a budget in mind as newer or later plates or always more attractive and sometimes only a few £100 more so ypu end up thinking I want a 17 plate but then the 67 plate is only £300 more but then if I push to an 18 plate it's only another £1,000 more and before you know you have kissed your budget goodbye. Newer is nearly always better.

For those of us who want to get out the rat race of everyone knowing how old our car is there is a private plate system which takes the manufacture year off the car. Some private registration plates are possibly worth more than the car it is on depending on the car and the plate. In my home city someone has the registration plate DAV 111D. I think you would like that plate @murcod

·
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,367 Posts
Interesting. The build year determines the value here for used vehicles - so you need to look at the build plates on the vehicle. (In the engine bay/ door jamb etc.) You can roughly tell a vehicle's age if it has the original plates on it by the numbering/ letter sequence; but there's nothing stopping anyone changing the plates to a different type (many options there, including expensive personal plates) or re registering it. e.g. I've got a 1971 built Triumph with plates that were issued in 2012. You can also choose an old plate from the older numbering sequence used around the 1970's (and earlier) and get it if it isn't in use for registering a newer vehicle.

The big dollar plates are either the personalised (you can sell them privately and ask what you want) and the historic plates from the early 1900's which simply were numbers starting from 1.

Each state/ territory in Australia also has different plate options, standard plate colours and registration numbers.

·
5,871 Posts
Just to get this thread back on track as I just wondered if @Ava V has their stop start working now.

·
5,871 Posts
I know David. It would appear we have quite a few members who join because they have a problem and then we don't see them again until they have another. I was just intrigued if their stop start had returned.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts