Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I replaced the battery on Saturday, so far so good. I did notice however that when I was scanning to link to my phone to my TV that SYNC audio device came up, I have turned the Bluetooth off on the car as a precaution.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I replaced the battery on Saturday, so far so good. I did notice however that when I was scanning to link to my phone to my TV that SYNC audio device came up, I have turned the Bluetooth off on the car as a precaution.
Sync will still show in your phone as it's a paired device. My laptop is upstairs and switched off but it's still showing as a paired device in my phone.

Reactions: KillerBean

·
Registered
5 Posts
have a 2014 mk2 kuga and the battery keeps draining every 4 weeks for the last couple of months. We had a new battery and alternator fitted end of 2019. They RAC when they came out in dec said there was a draw of 0.6amps. When it went again in jan we just jumped it and had been ok but gone again today. Rac came and checked and the drain was about 0.05amps today. We have disconnected all Bluetooth devices since January incident but it’s still happening. Does anyone have any ideas before I shell out lots of money to Ford

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
have a 2014 mk2 kuga and the battery keeps draining every 4 weeks for the last couple of months. We had a new battery and alternator fitted end of 2019. They RAC when they came out in dec said there was a draw of 0.6amps. When it went again in jan we just jumped it and had been ok but gone again today. Rac came and checked and the drain was about 0.05amps today. We have disconnected all Bluetooth devices since January incident but it’s still happening. Does anyone have any ideas before I shell out lots of money to Ford
Have you got a hard wired dash cam fitted or left anything in either of the three cig lighter sockets.

·
Registered
Vignale 2019 MK2 Platinum White
3,049 Posts
You say the phones are disconnected, is that on your phone settings, they need to be debonded from system to be sure. Very common on Mk1 and early MK2s for the Voice Control Module on bluetooth not closing down intermittently on lock up, causing battery drain, Ford released a software update for this same fault

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
5 Posts
You say the phones are disconnected, is that on your phone settings, they need to be debonded from system to be sure. Very common on Mk1 and early MK2s for the Voice Control Module on bluetooth not closing down intermittently on lock up, causing battery drain, Ford released a software update for this same fault
We have unpaired all phones from the sync system on the actual car

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
There was another post on here a while back and can't quite remember if it was draining the battery or causing another problem but the towbar electrics were to blame. Maybe an idea to have that checked first.

Also just because you had a new battery and alternator fitted doesn't remove that from the equation. Was this done at ford. If not what make size and make of battery was fitted and make of the alternator.

Does your car have stop start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There was another post on here a while back and can't quite remember if it was draining the battery or causing another problem but the towbar electrics were to blame. Maybe an idea to have that checked first.

Also just because you had a new battery and alternator fitted doesn't remove that from the equation. Was this done at ford. If not what make size and make of battery was fitted and make of the alternator.

Does your car have stop start.
The new battery was done by the RAC and it was their heavy duty battery. I’m not sure on The alternator it was either Lucas or Bosch but not done by Ford .

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Did the RAC reset the BMS (battery monitoring system) when they fitted the new battery?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just for completeness on my behalf. I turned my bluetooth back on a week ago and so far have had no issues. Thanks to all who replied, you were a great help.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
The new battery was done by the RAC and it was their heavy duty battery. I’m not sure on The alternator it was either Lucas or Bosch but not done by Ford .
Ok the purpose of all of our questions is to try and diagnose your fault. There are only a few reasons why your battery will be flat.

1. The battery is failing
2. The alternator isn't producing enough charge to keep the vehicle running and keep the battery charged
3. You have an electrical drain / short. One of our members has said that there was an issue on your model of the bluetooth not disconnecting so I would unpair all phones from it on the car.
4. There could be an issue with the BMS (Battery Management System).

Can you confirm if your vehicle has stop start. This is extremely important to determine if the RAC have fitted the correct battery type. The fact they fitted one of their heavy duty batteries is irrelevant if your car has stop/start and the they have fitted a standard heavy duty lead acid type battery instead of an EFB battery. The code on the battery should say EFB110 if your car has stop start. It would not be uncommon for the wrong type of battery to work for a set period of time.

In your first post you say the current drain was 0.6amp. This would reflect something like a phone charger or similar. You said when it was checked the second time the drain was 0.05amps. Is this correct as that is quite low compared with the first reading.

My advice as always with batteries that are going flat is to buy a cheap multi meter from screwfix for a tenner and buy a battery charger if you haven't got one. You will then be able to check your battery and charging yourself to a small degree. With the engine off check the voltage across the battery. A decent battery with stop start will be showing about 12.2 volts. If mine has been sat for 3 or 4 days it shows about 11.7 volts. With the engine running you should see about 14volts being put into the battery. This tells you you alternator is working correctly.

To home check the battery state, charge the battery up fully and take a reading with the multimeter. It will possible show about 12.8 volts when using a home charger. Disconnect the battery from the car and take a reading 24 hours later if convenient, and if there is a massive drop in the reading when fully charged and 24 hours later your battery isn't holding charge. If its about the same then the battery is ok which rules out one of the probabilities.

·
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,034 Posts
There’s all them words he’s been saving 🙄

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I have more lol.

We know what to do with something like this, Andrew, but it annoys me at times when you entrust and pay others to do a job and it's still not fixed. Possibly not the case here as it's been fixed for over a year. That's why I do a lot of stuff myself whether it's in the house, car, garden or whatever and if I can't fix it I have you lol........

That's why I told my son he needs always to have a new car and if he has one that's out of warranty to think about replacing with one that is as I aint fixing it. He still calls me when he has a puncture and he has breakdown insurance!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
If the car was locked and sync shutdown the bluetooth module should not still be visible from your phone. It sounds like the BT module or Sync is remaining active after you lock the car which may explain why your battery was flat. I'm not sure if just turning BT off will be enough as the module may still be powered up even though it shouldn't be. You need to get it checked.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Gregs24 has a point.

However on my android device it shows all previously paired devices, even ones I don't have any more but an easy test is just press sync on your phone with the car locked and if it says failed to connect then you know the bluetooth module has shut down. I would do this in close proximity to the car.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts