Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Kuga 2018 ST Line X Magnetic Grey
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I did both, having read your post. There was very little in either readings. I checked this morning, and the reading was 12.1. To be honest i do not fancy going into the winter period, with a battery that is probably not 100%. I did notice that the battery is a Varta, i do know if it is the original, but the car is 2018, and i have no way of ever finding out the history, having purchased it second hand

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
3,996 Posts
A 2018 car battery should be fine, I would put it on charge ( using a stop/start compatible charger) and leave it for 48 hrs, took mine off last night and engine cranking would have started a jumbo747

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,279 Posts
Can you check what voltage yours is fully charged please @RonnieM and then take a reading after you have driven the car for 30 minutes or so.

·
Update Ninja
3,996 Posts
12.8 Martin and car wont be used till Saturday to check after a run

Reactions: smartguy69

·
7,279 Posts
It shouldn't drop too much by then. If you can check before run and after as I just want something proving that I picked up a while ago and also something that is mentioned but not fully explained in the workshop manual.

Basically I would like to know what it drops to when the car is run.

All this having to charge batteries up reminds me of the old days lol.

·
Update Ninja
3,996 Posts
It shouldn't drop too much by then. If you can check before run and after as I just want something proving that I picked up a while ago and also something that is mentioned but not fully explained in the workshop manual.

Basically I would like to know what it drops to when the car is run.

All this having to charge batteries up reminds me of the old days lol.
I know what you mean, should we put a rug the over engine like the old Ford Anglia days😂😂
PS just had a phone call so car will get a 40 mile run in the morning

·
Update Ninja
3,996 Posts
Can you check what voltage yours is fully charged please @RonnieM and then take a reading after you have driven the car for 30 minutes or so.
Martin, 12.8v this morning in garage, 35 mile return journey drive with a 30 minute break in middle for a pick up, little bit frosty n cold, wife had heated seat on and I had heated steering wheel on, and when back in garage, still reading12.8v

·
Registered
677 Posts
I did both, having read your post. There was very little in either readings. I checked this morning, and the reading was 12.1. To be honest i do not fancy going into the winter period, with a battery that is probably not 100%. I did notice that the battery is a Varta, i do know if it is the original, but the car is 2018, and i have no way of ever finding out the history, having purchased it second hand
That is still in a very poor state of charge. You did the right thing trickling it back, but it just needs longer. The correct way is to trickle slowly back to full charge to get a deep charge in the plates, not a rapid surface charge. It could take 2 or 3 days of charging to do that. Then monitor it to see how well it keeps going. Age means nothing I'm afraid as even a new battery can be damaged if allowed to go flat for any length of time.

·
7,279 Posts
Martin, 12.8v this morning in garage, 35 mile return journey drive with a 30 minute break in middle for a pick up, little bit frosty n cold, wife had heated seat on and I had heated steering wheel on, and when back in garage, still reading12.8v
Thanks Ronnie. Your little test disproves something that I have previously read where it said that the smart charging system on the Kuga keeps the battery voltage at a lower setting circa 12.3 volts. Two different sources said that despite charging the battery fully, after a short period of time running the car, the battery voltage would drop. In your case this hasn't happened. The workshop manual does mention a little bit about load shedding but doesn't explain fully or say what the battery level should be.

I would have done the test myself but my battery is about 6 years old according to FORScan so perhaps would give different results.

There is of course the theory that the smart charging on later cars are different from the earlier ones.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,283 Posts
Can anyone add/describe for those who aren’t aware, how the mk2 variants charge the battery.

Back in old world days of a alternator driven by a belt, you revved the nuts of the engine to charge the battery.

These days (from what the AA man told me), tickover, throttle lifting and braking.

Over the the boffins and gurus in the know to debunk the hidden mystery of Fords way of charging the battery.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts