Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Kuga 2018 ST Line X Magnetic Grey
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently retired, the car is not getting the use, it used to. Taking that into account and also the age of the vehicle, and also the winter. I am wondering if it is worth charging the battery periodically.

So my question is, should i be doing this, and also can i charge it in situ. And of course is there a certain type of charger i need to look for.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Yes it is prudent to do so, yes you can easily do it yourself, and yes you can do it in situ, using a decent battery charger. I use the smaller B&D charger (BDV090) and I've never had any battery issues with any of my cars ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
tsmiggy. You can buy a charger from Halfords that will do the job, I to have retired and the car gets used about once in 2 weeks, so I bought a CTEK MX5 charger and used it once a month to keep it completely topped up, it works brilliantly I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
Kuga 1.5 eccoblue manual
7 Posts
Hi I have the ctek and am retired also so thinking along your lines of charging every few weeks on my Nissan I just used the pos and neg terminal of battery did you hook yours up like this or use elsewhere as the neg terminal thanks

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just decided to check the voltage, and it is 11.99/12v. So i assume that is fine for the moment.I did check it between the Positive on the battery and the post on top of the suspension

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
3,977 Posts
I use a Ring Smart Charge Premium+ charger which i set as stop/start battery in the settings and other settings set to auto, connecting positive to battery positive and negative to body ground to right hand side of battery under the scuttle due to very restricted access to battery terminal and do it approx every 6-8 weeks over winter when I use the car less, ( normally do a couple of 100 mile runs a week over summer), its currently on charge now

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,263 Posts
Ooh, how odd. As I was on the bus today doing my “Blakey” impression, I was thinking that “vinny” sits for 3-4 days sometimes without use. I’m now conscious that the new battery may be suffering.

I do take it for a a good run around on my days at home. Its never pestered me before but since the battery change, I have thought of it.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,253 Posts
Chances are it will be fine. The time to worry is when you press the button and it goes click. I leave mine from Monday to Friday and according to Forscan, my battery was new in May 2015, a couple of months after the car was registered. The previous owner said the only thing he had go wrong was the battery which means it was replaced then and BMS reset, or it was replaced at a later date and for some reason someone reset the BMS when the car was 3 months old.

·
Registered
36 Posts
when charging battery you must put the negative of the charger to the earth point on the body and not the pole on the battery, the pole bypasses the sensor that detects the current flow to the battery so the ecu looses track of battery condition for the start stop system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi I have the ctek and am retired also so thinking along your lines of charging every few weeks on my Nissan I just used the pos and neg terminal of battery did you hook yours up like this or use elsewhere as the neg terminal thanks

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
milanored. No I used the part of the CTEK kit that lets you connect Positive to the battery and the Negative to the chassis of the vehicle then you leave this lead in situ, and then all you do is connect the charger to the plug, easy as that, hope this explains it ok.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I just decided to check the voltage, and it is 11.99/12v. So i assume that is fine for the moment.I did check it between the Positive on the battery and the post on top of the suspension
That is far from OK, and is substantially discharged. Better to check across the terminals however, as there will be resistive losses the way you have done it. 12.67v is fully charged, 11.89v is technically flat (very unlikely to start a car)

·
Registered
667 Posts
when charging battery you must put the negative of the charger to the earth point on the body and not the pole on the battery, the pole bypasses the sensor that detects the current flow to the battery so the ecu looses track of battery condition for the start stop system.
This is a myth. Lots of cars sit on trickle chargers connected to the battery terminals for long periods (some of mine included) and never have any problems. I have also had it confirmed from Ford technical personnel that it is not a problem on Ford cars specifically. When you start them up they soon catch up with the charge level.

·
7,253 Posts
Bit late by then ! Plus the battery will suffer damage if you let it get like this too often.
I best give mine a periodic charge but as intermittent as my stop start is, it does still work. If I am using Forscan I do connect the charger but that's only perhaps for an hour or so.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
What exactly are the implications, of fitting your own battery. What would it affect?

I noticed Halfords are doing one for £114 plus £25 fitting. Of course that is assuming my trickle charge fails,

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,263 Posts
Other than buying the wrong battery, damaging one of the parts you have to remove, not many I do t think. If the BMS resets itself than should be ok.

Having seen what the AA man did, any £25 fitment fee is well worth, it as you then have the “it didn’t do that before you fitted it”

Many on here have let Halfords do the work and I can’t recall any bad feedback.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well trickle charged it for most of the day, and i have managed 12.2 V. Do we feel it is new battery time? Not sure what the life span should be, or if there are any hard or fast rules.

·
7,253 Posts
Well trickle charged it for most of the day, and i have managed 12.2 V. Do we feel it is new battery time? Not sure what the life span should be, or if there are any hard or fast rules.
That's definitely a trickle charge. I checked mine after doing a 450 trip and it was 12.14 when I stopped.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts