Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All I have a dry rubbing noise coming from the back of my AWD 2013 Kuga.
It's not tyres, brakes or pads related.
My dad said he thinks I need axle oil.
Does that sound right?
If it is I was just wondering how long it would take a garage to do & roughly how much it would cost?

Thanks
Kelly

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
739 Posts
Rear differential has 2 sections:
1st is a clutch (sealed unit) can't be serviced
2nd gear section where it's possible to change oil, but there is no drain plug so oil has to be sucked out by filling plug.
For garage it's a quick job, only difficult is very tight space between diff and suspension beam.

I changed it by myself:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your reply.
I will pop into my local garage later and ask about getting it done.

Thanks
Kelly

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
739 Posts
Thanks a lot for your reply.
I will pop into my local garage later and ask about getting it done.

Thanks
Kelly
Keep us updated. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok will do :)

Thanks
Kelly

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,762 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been to a garage today and without looking at it he said it's a common problem on a kuga for the axle on the AWD system to go and it's between £1000 to £2000 to fix. I don't know if I'm explaining it right because he said so much lol
I have booked it in with another garage to have a proper look on Monday so will keep you updated ☺

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,762 Posts
@keithmac - do you have any opinions on the above posts, Keith

·
Registered
846 Posts
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Blue Vehicle

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hope that helps to explain stuff.. Sorry moderator, dont know why 2 pictures, my mistake, can you delete one please.

The rear diff its self is pretty standard, (the cog bits). To change the oil in this area (described as sealed for life!) you can suck the oil out of the fill plug... Or.... Be brave drill & tap a plug like I did to drain fully. This bit, as long as nothing broken, or bearing debris floating about I would have thought this bit would last a long while.. 150,000mls +. (May be wrong unless others know more)

The front bit (near to exhaust silencer) is a mangetic clutch assembly, that engages to provide RWD. It is also 'sealed for life', must contain some form of plates to rub together to create wear and wear particles.. all in a oil soup..

Through luck, mileage, use etc etc.. I think this could be a weak point in years to come. Results on the forum will rise to the top.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hope that helps to explain stuff.. Sorry moderator, dont know why 2 pictures, my mistake, can you delete one please.

The rear diff its self is pretty standard, (the cog bits). To change the oil in this area (described as sealed for life!) you can suck the oil out of the fill plug... Or.... Be brave drill & tap a plug like I did to drain fully. This bit, as long as nothing broken, or bearing debris floating about I would have thought this bit would last a long while.. 150,000mls +. (May be wrong unless others know more)

The front bit (near to exhaust silencer) is a mangetic clutch assembly, that engages to provide RWD. It is also 'sealed for life', must contain some form of plates to rub together to create wear and wear particles.. all in a oil soup..

Through luck, mileage, use etc etc.. I think this could be a weak point in years to come. Results on the forum will rise to the top.
My Kuga has done 75000 miles and I have only done 2000 miles since I bought it.
I just hope it's not £2000 when I have only had it 5 months :(

·
Mr Modification
739 Posts
My Kuga has done 75000 miles and I have only done 2000 miles since I bought it.
I just hope it's not £2000 when I have only had it 5 months :(
The worst scenario is you may have to replace rear differential. But you can buy from second hand so it will be about 500£ + labour cost.
It might be hard but you have to find independent mechanic what you can trust, for further inspection.

Another question is. Did your dealer gives you any warranty? (mostly they provide 12mths warranty)

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi I only had 3 months warranty with the car but I will still be contacting the dealer to discuss it after the car has been looked at on Monday .

Thanks Kelly

·
Registered
Kuga 69 reg, ST Line Edition 180, Frozen White
56 Posts
As you had the car less than 6 months, this is worth a read:

If a fault emerges between 30 days and six months from the date of purchase, the law assumes that the fault was pre-existing and, unless the seller can prove otherwise, the vehicle is still protected by statutory warranty. Here, the seller has one chance to fix the problem. If they do not manage to do that, the buyer is entitled to a refund, which may be less than the original purchase price to account for the time during which the car has been functional.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you that's very helpful ☺

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,799 Posts
Just a minor note and unfortunately it won’t help you.

When I had the first MoT, it was mentioned that the rear diff seal was “misting” but it was ok and not a fail and was for my information.

·
Registered
2020 Mk3 Titainium Lucid Red 1.5Ltr Diesel
245 Posts
Hi all just got back from the garage and the good news is that it is just a wheel bearing making the noise :) booked in for Thursday to be done.
Excellent

1 - 20 of 22 Posts