Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 2.0 Titanium auto,does Sport have to be selected when stationary or can you change from D to S when driving .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I'm thinking about selecting a lower gear when on a steep incline, I've only had the car a couple of days .

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi, you can also use the manual button on the side to select what ever gear you want but only work's in drive not sport.If you just flick button back it will drop one gear flick forward it will change up. I use it when towing my caravan as if you put on cruise control the slightest hill it changes down so i just flick it back up like wise down hill flick it down to hold me back so don't use brakes as much.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I use sport when going up long hills with sharp bends, we have a lot where I live, it stops it changing up to frequently, I find it very useful. I also use the manual button when crawling over speed humps, put in 2nd and it wont drop to first unless you come to a complete stop.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I just bought 2.0 Titanium auto,does Sport have to be selected when stationary or can you change from D to S when driving .
What year car have you got?.

If in Drive you can nudge it up or down a gear when drivning, if in Sport it will "stick" in the gear for a lot longer.

You can swap between Sprort and Drive on the fly.

If you are in Sport "Manual" if you press and hold gear up for 5 seconds it will revert to Sport Auto (worth knowing).

I tow in Sport most of the time unless on Motorways when it's in Drive.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
The year model is going to make a big difference in the operation of the Sport/ Drive modes.

Post 2017 (with the steering wheel paddles) will operate differently to the earlier models with the up/ down switch on the shifter.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My 2016 model allows changing to sport anytime on the fly.
Manual changes are via the button on the side of the gear lever, but only work in sport, not in D.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i they all seem to be different as mind will only let me change with the button on the side when i am in Drive does'nt work in Sport

·
Registered
911 Posts
It's very strange how some can't manually select gears in Sport mode, that's what it was made for?.

Are all these Powershift gearboxes?.

I can manually change in Drive and Sport, although it holds the gears for a lot longer in Sport Manual.

·
Registered
911 Posts
yes mine is power shift gearbox i just wonder if it can be changed by plug in and reset in computer.
With it being a 163 it should be identical to my 2013 163 function wise I would have thought?.

Maybe a reset would cure it as you say.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just reading handbook it says in there if you use the button on the side when in sport mode it will put you back in drive so really don't know.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Mine's a 6F35 torque converter auto, but I thought they all had the same features.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Mine is a 2016 model and changes manually when in drive or sport, but as Keithmac says it looks for higher revs in sport mode.

·
Registered
115 Posts
yes just read it again. this is copy from manual :-Switch on sport mode by moving the
transmission selector lever to Sport. Sport
mode will remain on until either you shift
manually up or down the gears using the+
or - buttons or move the transmission
selector lever to drive.:-

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
yes just read it again. this is copy from manual :-Switch on sport mode by moving the
transmission selector lever to Sport. Sport
mode will remain on until either you shift
manually up or down the gears using the+
or - buttons or move the transmission
selector lever to drive.:-
In mine it does exactly as you describe.
If you put the selector in sport it will go to the sport transmission map, so it alters the change up points in the rev range.
If you then press the button on the side of the gear lever it stays in manual mode only changing up when you press the + button and changing down when you press the - button. It will however change to first automatically if you come to a stop without manually changing down.
It then remains in manual mode until you move the lever back to drive, if you then want sport auto again you have to move the lever back to sport.
The +/- button doesn't work in drive.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Yes as OzeKuga said, that doesn't say using the (+ or -) button in Sport mode will change the trans back to Drive. It stays in Sport but will no longer automatically change gears.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts