Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.5 ecoboost 2016
The auto stop/start has stopped working, can anyone offer any suggestions as to what could have caused this please. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,066 Posts
No need for two threads the same.

Check the battery first. Even one that is slightly 'below par' will disable stop/start.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It could be one of a hundred things, so I wouldn't worry as it will probably start again when the conditions are right.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mine doesn’t work all the time,think it’s to do with the temperature of the car,that’s what I read somewhere,short distance’s mine won’t work.same happens with my works van.

Ross

·
Registered
413 Posts
Here's an extract from the manual.

The system may not shut down the engine under certain conditions, for example:
To maintain the interior climate.
Low battery voltage.
The outside temperature is too low or too high.
The driver door has been opened.
Low engine operating temperature.
Low brake system vacuum.
If a road speed of 3 mph (5 km/h) has not been exceeded.
The driver safety belt has not been fastened.

·
Registered
6 Posts
also on my Kuga stop/start does not activate when ...
trans in sport mode
steering wheel more than quarter turn from dead centre

·
Super Moderator
610 Posts
Mine doesn't work when towing the caravan and the fridge on...

·
Registered
18 Posts
My auto stop start stopped working after the last service. Included in the service was a recall. I asked what it was and was told it was a software upgrade to do with Sulpha emissions. I recon the software upgrade has knocked out my auto stop start. Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder what my Ford dealer will say/charge to sort it out. 2015 180bhp diesel.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Stop start idea on a car for most is the worst invention since some idiots decided it was a good idea to remove a spare wheel and a jack and replace it with a can of fluid. It probably wouldn't be so bad if car manufacturers used decent batteries from Lucas, Bosch, Yuasa or similar but they don't and when they fail just out of warranty an AGM or EFB battery will cost you twice as much as a normal one. The only good feature of stop start is it can be an early warning your battery is on its way out when stop start stops working completely.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
How much charge is in your battery, if you take the car for an hour long drive to make sure the battery charge is full enough the stop start should work, provided you're not in sport mode if it's an auto.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
How much charge is in your battery, if you take the car for an hour long drive to make sure the battery charge is full enough the stop start should work, provided you're not in sport mode if it's an auto.
It can still vary. I came back from a one hour 15 minute journey last friday. Got home and no stop start feature. Next day I made a 20 minute journey there and 20 minute back and it was working.

On another occasion I left my ignition on whilst changing front discs and pads and run the battery flat to a point that it needed jumping off. Did a 10 minute journey to my daughters which is mostly a 60mph road. Drove back and stop start works.

It appears that the science behind the Ford stop start system is a little like the science associated with our coronavirus science in that the rules are flexible, subject to change and what is right one day, isn't the next.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm aware of that. I've had several long drives. It just doesn't work.

·
Super Moderator
610 Posts
Is your aircon running hard? That will kill stop/start

·
Registered
18 Posts
No Aircon, warm engine, no lights on, battery well charged. It just doesn't work. I had 2 extra things done at the last service. The software recall and new front disc breaks and pads. I wonder if the fitting of the disc breaks could had upset the ABS sensors. A couple of years ago I had a fault where the engine wouldn't stop. The solution was an upgrade on the ABS software. If the abs systems doesn't recognise the wheels have stopped turning then the engine will not stop. I need to ring my Ford dealer next week to see if they are aware of any software incompatability..I wonder how helpful they will be. I'm not looking for a big bill to sort the problem.

·
Super Moderator
2,066 Posts
You won't get a big bill as they won't sort it citing the almost infinite variables that prevent the system working.

I now simply consider it a bonus if it ever operates as expected.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Sometimes mine doesn't work if the dash cam is plugged into the cig lighter. Ford stop start has a mind of its own and I wish it wasn't there because, apart from the high battery replacement cost,

A.) I don't need it.
B.) I always sit with my car in gear at traffic lights
C.) If I get stuck in traffic I am quite capable of pressing the stop button
D.) If sat in traffic for any considerable time with stop start activated, the cars turns itself back on
E.) When it doesn't work I wonder why it doesn't work

Be so much easier if manufacturers removed the option permanently as it's just a waste of money for most.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm sure that with my focus it was easy to switch the stupid thing off?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts