Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,496 Posts
I had to have therapy every time I drove it! Hateful, smelly, sluggardly, noisy, dog's dreg end of an engine ;)
Quick therapy by driving one of your other cars would easily be achievable no doubt, but interesting to note that you or your wife chose the diesel over the petrol option. I know you have since put that right. I corrected what I didn't agree with but then wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the same.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Kuga ST-Line 2.0 TDCi
91 Posts
I have discovered that my Kuga stop start works all the time if I have heater ventilation controls set to air arrows on for chest and feet. I always have air to windscreen enabled. I don't use auto mode.

If I turn off either chest air or feet air arrow buttons stop start stops working.

Have a fiddle about with the heating ventilation controls. Experiment with different settings may help.

Also on my old Kuga Titanium if the car was on an incline or steering wheel wasn't straight ahead stop start would not work and the engine would remain on. The stop start function on my ST-Line appears unaffected by steering input?

All very strange.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It takes between 300 and 500 miles (3-4days commuting to office round M25, Sussex to Essex) before mine starts working after a weeks lay up

·
Registered
20171.5 Ecoboost AWD 182bhp
26 Posts
Ford would have added it to pass ever tightening legislated average fuel consumption targets over their model range. So they wouldn't really be too concerned about how well it works once the vehicle is sold and the battery ages a bit.

There's also the other fuel saving system where the alternator is controlled to limit charging to the battery. It's programmed to do things like applying maximum recharging when you're braking. At other times it can run the battery at a lower than expected voltage.

The two systems don't seem exactly logical to combine together.
Thanks Murcod. That all makes sense. In practice, the whole stop/start is a non-event as far as the consumer is concerned

·
3,307 Posts
Thanks Murcod. That all makes sense. In practice, the whole stop/start is a non-event as far as the consumer is concerned
My Kuga doesn't have start/ stop, but my new Toyota does. Plus it has a current sensor on the negative battery terminal so I guess it's got a similar "smart" alternator. I don't drive in heavy traffic so stop/ start get's turned off when I start the engine. When I've forgotten it will even turn the engine off before it's warmed up! :mad:

·
Registered
275 Posts
My Kuga doesn't have start/ stop, but my new Toyota does. Plus it has a current sensor on the negative battery terminal so I guess it's got a similar "smart" alternator. I don't drive in heavy traffic so stop/ start get's turned off when I start the engine. When I've forgotten it will even turn the engine off before it's warmed up! :mad:
Sometimes I wonder if the Rav4 would have been better. 🤔🤔

·
Registered
492 Posts
Quick therapy by driving one of your other cars would easily be achievable no doubt, but interesting to note that you or your wife chose the diesel over the petrol option. I know you have since put that right. I corrected what I didn't agree with but then wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the same.
The Mk2 petrol drinks fuel. The auto diesel wasn't too bad compared to the manual. PHEV trumps them both

·
3,307 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if the Rav4 would have been better. 🤔🤔
The new one looks very nice. The engines we get in Australia aren't very inspiring though- at least to a petrol head like me! The Kuga with the petrol 2.0l EcoBoost is hard to beat for the price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The stop start on our 2.0 180 4x4 hadn't worked for over a year, which I was quite happy about, turns out the battery was just clinging on....until it didn't and stranded the missus whilst out shopping. A fresh battery (the one on the car was the 2015 original ford one) and a BMS reset and everything works as it should again

·
3,307 Posts
The stop start on our 2.0 180 4x4 hadn't worked for over a year, which I was quite happy about, turns out the battery was just clinging on....until it didn't and stranded the missus whilst out shopping.
Something relevant- I've read an AGM battery should never suddenly die and leave you stranded like a "wet cell" battery can. They just slowly lose capacity over time.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,496 Posts
Something relevant- I've read an AGM battery should never suddenly die and leave you stranded like a "wet cell" battery can. They just slowly lose capacity over time.
I wouldn't believe everything you read @murcod but I can tell you this is 100% true.

Our vauxhall mokka had an AGM battery. Went to the car one morning and it wouldn't start. Jumped it off took it for a run, came back still no start. No warnings, no lazy starting. Put a new battery on and I was thinking had I replaced a perfectly good battery if it was something else so put it on charge and took a reading. Next morning it was reading under 10 volts.

There are possibly AGM batteries and AGM batteries. The one on the Mokka was original and wasn't even 4 years old.

·
3,307 Posts
I wouldn't believe everything you read @murcod but I can tell you this is 100% true.
That's often said because they can't suffer a sudden "cell collapse" like a wet cell battery.

I've got an aftermarket (Optima) that's 9yo and still going (not in the Kuga.). The car does a lot of short trips so it doesn't have an easy life. That car has no start stop or smart alternator (to my knowledge) which would help with the battery life.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts