Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ford kuga zetec 4X4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wanted to know if it’s normal for the auto start/stop to seem very lazy, like a temperamental teenager in that sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn’t?
Seems very strange to me but bloke in garage didn’t seem too bothered by it 🤷‍♀️

·
Mr. Happy
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
1,353 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the state of the battery on the car.

Fully charged its operational, Slightly discharged and it does what it wants to.

Reactions: Psshaw

·
Registered
South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
1,308 Posts
AUTO START-STOP: LIMITATIONS OF USE
On both manual and automatic transmissions, the engine may not stop under certain conditions, for example:
  • Low engine operating temperature.
  • To maintain the interior climate.
  • The battery charge level is low.
  • The outside temperature is too low or too high.
  • Opening the driver door when in motion.
  • The heated windshield is on.
  • During regeneration of the diesel particulate filter.
On automatic transmissions only:
  • When the driver seatbelt is unfastened.
  • The steering angle is greater than 90 degrees.
  • Transmission is in sport (S) or manual (M).

On both manual and automatic transmissions, the engine may restart under certain conditions, for example:
  • To maintain the interior climate, for example air conditioning.
  • The heated windshield is turned on.
  • Your vehicle starts to roll downhill in neutral.
  • The driver door is opened when in drive.
  • Transmission is shifted to sport (S) or manual (M)

Note: If the system detects a malfunction, it turns off. If it remains inactive after an ignition cycle, have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer.
Note: The system may not function if you leave electrical loads connected with the ignition off as these will drain the battery.
Note: For vehicles with auto-start-stop, the battery requirement is different. Replace it with one of exactly the same specification as the original.

·
Registered
South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
1,308 Posts
USING AUTO START-STOP
Using Auto-Start-Stop with Manual Transmission
To Stop the Engine
  1. Stop your vehicle.
  2. Shift into neutral.
  3. Release the clutch and accelerator pedal.
To Restart the Engine
For vehicles with manual transmission, fully depress the clutch pedal.

Using Auto-Start-Stop with Automatic Transmission
WARNING: Fully apply the parking brake and shift into park (P) before leaving your vehicle.
To Stop the Engine
  1. Release the accelerator pedal.
  2. Stop your vehicle in drive (D).
  3. Maintain pressure on the brake pedal.
Note: The engine will also shut down if the gearshift lever is in park (P) or neutral (N) regardless of brake pedal position.
To Restart the Engine
Release the brake pedal or press the accelerator pedal.

Switching the System On and Off
When you switch the ignition on, the system automatically turns on.
To switch the system off, press the switch and the word OFF illuminates. Press again to switch the system back on. The system only switches off for the current ignition cycle.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
2,813 Posts
Mine never works….it’s the first button I push when I’ve started up to stop it from stopping cos it’s always stopping when I don’t want it to stop. Lol

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,896 Posts
@Margo - The stop start on the mk2 has a mind of its own. Mine will work day after day and then the next day it will work and then 5 minutes later it doesn't and then 10 minutes after that it does. I don't let it bother me.

·
Registered
South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
1,308 Posts
I turn mine off,,no problem then

·
Registered
2015 Ford kuga zetec 4X4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AUTO START-STOP: LIMITATIONS OF USE
On both manual and automatic transmissions, the engine may not stop under certain conditions, for example:
  • Low engine operating temperature.
  • To maintain the interior climate.
  • The outside temperature is too low or too high.
  • Opening the driver door when in motion.
  • The heated windshield is on.
  • During regeneration of the diesel particulate filter.
  • The steering angle is greater than 90 degrees.
  • Transmission is in sport (S) or manual (M).

On both manual and automatic transmissions, the engine may restart under certain conditions, for example:
  • To maintain the interior climate, for example air conditioning.
  • The heated windshield is turned on.
  • Your vehicle starts to roll downhill in neutral.
  • The driver door is opened when in drive.
  • Transmission is shifted to sport (S) or manual (M)

Note: If the system detects a malfunction, it turns off. If it remains inactive after an ignition cycle, have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer.
Note: The system may not function if you leave electrical loads connected with the ignition off as these will drain the battery.
Note: For vehicles with auto-start-stop, the battery requirement is different. Replace it with one of exactly the same specification as the original.
@Margo - The stop start on the mk2 has a mind of its own. Mine will work day after day and then the next day it will work and then 5 minutes later it doesn't and then 10 minutes after that it does. I don't let it bother me.

·
Mr. Happy
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
1,353 Posts
I'm in a Vauxhall Crossland x at the moment and yep...........................button is pressed as soon as I see it alight.

Bloody awful idea..................stop/start.

·
5,896 Posts
It doesn't bother me as the only time my car sees neutral is usually when it's parked up but like to keep an eye on if it's regenerating or not. If it kicks in it's fine. If it doesn't kick in I check my instant mpg to check it isn't more than 0.2 gallons per hour.

·
Registered
546 Posts
All the cars I've had with stop start have worked perfectly and don't interfere with driving at all. Saves a lot of fuel in traffic queues as well.

·
5,896 Posts
All the cars I've had with stop start have worked perfectly and don't interfere with driving at all. Saves a lot of fuel in traffic queues as well.
I guess it is more to do with the quality of the battery but could also work slightly different on the diesel. My guess is yours will all have been petrol !!. Mine didn't work at all going through winter 2019/20 but did very well through winter 20/21. Different driving habits perhaps. I don't drive in much traffic either apart from a Friday when I travel across the city to the Chinese. Perhaps if I did drive in traffic I may find it worked like it should. It was fine on Sunday when I was sat waiting at Papa's drive through. Frightened me half to death though when it started back up again on it's own.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don’t drive many miles in mine, but stop start has always worked . Unfortunately in the auto is not designed very well. If you are in traffic and stop, if you don’t go into park once you release the footbrake, to save rear dazzle, the engine starts. It also doesn’t work in S mode. I often use S around town but would still like stop start in traffic, but like all things you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I guess it is more to do with the quality of the battery but could also work slightly different on the diesel. My guess is yours will all have been petrol !!. Mine didn't work at all going through winter 2019/20 but did very well through winter 20/21. Different driving habits perhaps. I don't drive in much traffic either apart from a Friday when I travel across the city to the Chinese. Perhaps if I did drive in traffic I may find it worked like it should. It was fine on Sunday when I was sat waiting at Papa's drive through. Frightened me half to death though when it started back up again on it's own.
Our old Mk2.5 Kuga was a diseasal with stop start and it worked fine.

·
5,896 Posts
Our old Mk2.5 Kuga was a diseasal with stop start and it worked fine.
YOU had a diesel ??????? Ah, I remember now, you said it was your wife's car.

Strange isn't it. Mine worked Sunday as it should, goes out today and it doesn't. To be fair though the battery on mine could be anything up to 6 years old. I have had my car for nearly two and a half years and I know the battery was replaced within the warranty period but not sure when.

·
Registered
20171.5 Ecoboost AWD 182bhp
26 Posts
2017 Kuga AWD. Stop/start had never come into action since I acquired the car last July. In January this year took it to my main Ford dealer for him to look at an unrelated electrical issue.He commented that the issue was probably related to the battery being less than 70% charged and so charged it to 100%. Auto stop/start then worked faultlessly for about a week. Hasn't come into operation since! Even a 100 mile journey failed to rouse it. Moral: if your battery is anything less than 100% charged,forget it!

·
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,373 Posts
Moral: if your battery is anything less than 100% charged,forget it!
Ford would have added it to pass ever tightening legislated average fuel consumption targets over their model range. So they wouldn't really be too concerned about how well it works once the vehicle is sold and the battery ages a bit.

There's also the other fuel saving system where the alternator is controlled to limit charging to the battery. It's programmed to do things like applying maximum recharging when you're braking. At other times it can run the battery at a lower than expected voltage.

The two systems don't seem exactly logical to combine together.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts