Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
[ Phil ]
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to enable the start/stop function while driving in S mode?

I understand why it disables in this mode, but I much prefer the driving characteristics in S mode, so it would be nice to be enable start/stop.
It's a shame it doesn't just switch the system off the same as if you'd pressed the disable/enable start/stop button - that would allow you switch it back on, but the button appears to do nothing when toggled :cry:

Maybe it can be done in Forscan, dare I say it!

·
Registered
306 Posts
This was one of the first things I thought I had problems with. I only drove my previous motor in sports mode and the SS worked all the time. The dealers head mechanic had driven the car and said everything was fine and after a heated discussion he came for a drive with me and as soon as I put the gear into S he said that’s the problem.
Looks like DogDeluxe, it’s off to the Forscan for you, good luck.

Reactions: DogDeluxe

·
Registered
[ Phil ]
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was one of the first things I thought I had problems with. I only drove my previous motor in sports mode and the SS worked all the time. The dealers head mechanic had driven the car and said everything was fine and after a heated discussion he came for a drive with me and as soon as I put the gear into S he said that’s the problem.
Looks like DogDeluxe, it’s off to the Forscan for you, good luck.
Thanks Les (y)

I had a feeling this was going to be the answer :mad: what an annoying feature! Why on earth didn't they just switch it off, as if you'd manually pressed the button, by default when going into S mode?
I've tried pressing holding the button etc, but nothing; it appears locked out!

Right then my Forscan lovelies... gimme your codes o_O

Reactions: Les

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine must be unusual, I hate stop/start and was told it wouldn’t work while in sport mode .... but mine still does 😕
Admittedly not every time I stop, but it still kicks in (or off lol) after idling for a while 😡

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
As murcod said, it's a flawed system. I would prefer a car with a cheaper battery, starter motor and alternator. With the module, programming and all the other bits it probably puts at least £1k on the new price. At tickover usage of 0.2 gallons per hour that's a long time with the car stopped using stop start.

·
Registered
[ Phil ]
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!

Yes, I agree it's a flawed system and often kicks in about the 3 seconds you're waiting at a junction or at lights, so no real point for such a short period.
Useful when in longer queues or roadworks, but obviously the car has no way of knowing how long you're stopping for.

I guess I will just slip the car into D mode when stuck in traffic etc and S when actually driving - I can live with that :)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Or just switch the engine off yourself, if you're in a long queue.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I think car manufacturers forget we have a brain. If you wait long enough stop/starts the engine up automatically so it's a bit of a waste of time in that scenario.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Some times we may be a bit hard on the manufactures, a lot of these controls are to reach emission tests witch are set by governments.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Being hard on the manufacturers is fair if the manufacturer then fails to design a system that works as the governments possibly intended. We won't need stop start in 10 years anyway on new cars as there will be no engines. Could be more lip service of course which will shut the environmentalist up for a few years.

·
Registered
[ Phil ]
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or buy a manual and enjoy " sport mode" all the time.
I had no idea manual Kugas only had Sport mode - Maybe Ford should introduce a D mode for the manual version too :p

Now that would take far too much effort - pressing a button and all that!
P.S. You are, of course, completely right :)

Reactions: smartguy69 and Les

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
You are playing in my words DogDeluxe, haha. The manual does in fact have a D mode as well. It is unknowingly controlled by the driver's brain pattern. If the driver is happy, content, rational, etc the the brain engages D mode in which any passengers would hardly notice any forward motion and could easily read a book etc disturbed only by the slight thump going over a pot hole. However when the driver is cut up, normally by someone driving a German car or larger SUV, or by some who doesn't know our highway code, then the car goes into sport mode automatically. No need for a switch or voice command.

If my wife should ever drive the Kuga, then it would be constantly in S mode. The reasons are unfortunately unprintable.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
My wife doesn't like SS one bit, she’s just getting used to the new car with powershift after driving manuals for almost 40 years, she “discovered” sports mode when she asked what the S was for, stupidly I told her, came in yesterday with a grin on her face..........Ive just asked Santa for a prayer mat

·
Registered
[ Phil ]
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are playing in my words DogDeluxe, haha. The manual does in fact have a D mode as well. It is unknowingly controlled by the driver's brain pattern. If the driver is happy, content, rational, etc the the brain engages D mode in which any passengers would hardly notice any forward motion and could easily read a book etc disturbed only by the slight thump going over a pot hole. However when the driver is cut up, normally by someone driving a German car or larger SUV, or by some who doesn't know our highway code, then the car goes into sport mode automatically. No need for a switch or voice command.

If my wife should ever drive the Kuga, then it would be constantly in S mode. The reasons are unfortunately unprintable.
Love it :D

Reactions: smartguy69
1 - 15 of 15 Posts