Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to the site. Please help I have a mk1 on a 10 plate, I have an issue with the auto headlights when I put them on auto they stay on permanently is there a fuse or relay that could be causing this fault if so where would it be located. Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
256 Posts
There's a sensor on the windscreen, a little photo resistor (up beside the rear view mirror) that automatically turns the lights on / off as ambient light levels increase or decrease..possibly thats faulty. I'm not sure if this would throw up on a code reader.

If it were my car, that's where I'd start looking first.

·
Registered
256 Posts
https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/34562-automatic-headlight-sensor/

Read this thread here…
If you can’t find a KUGA sensor, you’ll be able to replace yours with a Mondeo / Focus sensor …. they’ll use the same parts throughout the ford range of the same era I’d have thought.
If you had a working sensor, you’d be able to test the sensor by covering it up and checking the output voltages….

Need to remember this would be the most likely ‘fix’ in my opinion.. could just as easily be something else….

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again I've just checked the sensor behind the interior mirror and that appears to be a rain sensor (going off the part number that is stamped on it) for the auto wipers which coincidently doesn't work either. There does seem to be a small dome shaped thing at the bottom of the screen on the top of the dashboard could that possibly be it thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi again I've just checked the sensor behind the interior mirror and that appears to be a rain sensor (going off the part number that is stamped on it) for the auto wipers which coincidently doesn't work either. There does seem to be a small dome shaped thing at the bottom of the screen on the top of the dashboard could that possibly be it thanks
its a dual purpose sensor... provides auto wipers / auto lights....
before you go buying a replacement... you might want to check all connections are secure and you have continuity.... worst case is that you spend £25 and it doesn't work...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-TITANIUM-2004-12-RAIN-LIGHT-SENSOR-MODULE-5M5T-17D547-JRC-G1E-4/264443526647?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D637da23647a04f79a53e20dfa101105e%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D282831381972%26itm%3D264443526647%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A854de8fd-d30a-11e9-b5b4-74dbd180fdf6%7Cparentrq%3A1655a67b16d0acc6983fd6b3ffc9c817%7Ciid%3A1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking at the screen from the outside there appears to be what looks like bubbles between the sensor and screen is will remove it tonight and check I will keep update later

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update
I have put on a brand new sensor behind the rear view mirror but it is still not working the head lights stay on permanently when on auto and the auto wipers don't work can anyone shed any light on where the fuse/relay is located

Thanks again

·
Registered
892 Posts
Update
I have put on a brand new sensor behind the rear view mirror but it is still not working the head lights stay on permanently when on auto and the auto wipers don't work can anyone shed any light on where the fuse/relay is located

Thanks again
There are 3 fuse boxes for the Kuga, Engine Bay, Behind the glovebox, OS Boot compartment. My guess would be the glove box. Fuses are listed and labelled in the manuals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Newbie to the site. Please help I have a mk1 on a 10 plate, I have an issue with the auto headlights when I put them on auto they stay on permanently is there a fuse or relay that could be causing this fault if so where would it be located. Many thanks in advance
Funnily enough, my problem is in reverse - the lights don't come on sometimes when it begins to get dark. I haven't bothered doing anything about it because a) that in itself isn't an MOT fail because mine work normally via the non-auto route, and b) I'm about to get shot of mine through a p/x deal next week (see my thread re. ABS). Speaking of which, an update is on the way....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update I've checked all the fuses and they are all ok tested with a multimeter. I've had a scanner connected upto the obd port and it has come up with a few faults
Rain sensor communication fault U2030-0F
Battery back sounder circuit failure B2665-0F
Autolamp input circuit failure B1792

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I would start by looking for any missing sealant in and around the front passenger footwell. Water leaks in this area can corrode connections around the body control module and earth faults and corrosion in the area can throw up all kinds of faults.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is the body control module and the generic electronic module the same thing? I understand the bcm is also known as the fuse box but don't know what/where the gem is. Also has anyone had any of these repaired/replaced? If so how easy is it to do and in terms of cost what would I be looking at?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I recently had a windscreen replacement, a generic windscreen, was fitted to my 2013 Kuga Mk1. Since then my auto lights and auto wipers, were permanently on.

The DTC error indicated U2030-0F, rain/light sensor communications error. I replaced the sensor and checked the wiring between the sensor and GEM module, no fault was found.

I eventually contacted the company that replaced my windscreen and I got them to install a genuine FORD windscreen and my auto lights and wipers functioned properly again.

What we found is that the sensor has an IR mark on the back and it requires a IR windscreen, which is also clearly marked on the bottom of the windscreen.

I hope this information can assist you.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Yes, the glass composition can be 'wrong' on pattern screens.

Found this out the hard way on a Volvo where I had exactly the same problem except that, in my case, they also managed to saw through the end of the dash when removing the old screen.

Cost them almost £1200 in parts and labour to replace the complete upper dash!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts