Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Kuga 2015 Titanium X Sport
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 2015 model with SYNC 2, which is getting upgrade to SYNC 3 in few days. It has a basic sound system and I want to upgrade it.
At the moment I'm thinking about getting:
Rockford Fosgate DSR-1 DSP,
Hertz HCP 4 Amp
Focal speakers front + rear
Under-seat subs for mid bass (not sure which model yet)
Sub in a boot (still undecided which model but I could re-use my old Rockford Fosgate P300-10 ).

I think that should sound good enough.. but the only annoying thing is lack of EQ control from the head unit. So I'm wondering.. is it worth retrofitting premium sound? Does this provide some more functions in the SYNC 3 interface? Has anyone done it? I'm still not sure if there is a separate module for the sony system or is this a different model of ACM? Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator and Mr Uses Lots of Words
5,387 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I realise this is your second post but I missed a welcome greeting from your previous post. Please have a read here and upgrade your signature to show you car's details which will save you having to say what you have each time you want to post.

Welcome to the Forum, Please Read | Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums

Good luck with the sound upgrade. It's not something we often see on the Kuga so please don't forget to keep the forum informed.

Depending on which model Kuga you have will depend on what the original ACM will be. Mine is supposed to be Sony. There is no mention of the name Sony anywhere on the old ACM I removed. It is possible the Zetec model has the same as the Focus/C-Max ACM which isn't programmable. The ACM on the Titanium model and upwards is programmable.

There is no separate module for the ACM. The ACM is listed as the module. If you change the ACM for something else it is possible you will lose parking chimes and also handsfree calling via bluetooth. Unless it was exactly the same size you may lose the ability to play CD's as well.

On the Focus ST ACM's that I have seen it had an outlet for a sub woofer but I am not sure if that particular ACM was programmable or preset for the car like the other Focus ACM's.

If you are running sync 2 then you should have the 8" touch screen which is easily replaced with sync 3. You will need a GPS antenna and need to swap the usb media hub. I haven't seen many 2015 cars listed as having Sync 2 as it wasn't introduced until later in that year. Some of us have converted from sync 1 to sync 2 but we are a very small club.

Reactions: NigelB

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. I realise this is your second post but I missed a welcome greeting from your previous post. Please have a read here and upgrade your signature to show you car's details which will save you having to say what you have each time you want to post.

Welcome to the Forum, Please Read | Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums

Good luck with the sound upgrade. It's not something we often see on the Kuga so please don't forget to keep the forum informed.

Depending on which model Kuga you have will depend on what the original ACM will be. Mine is supposed to be Sony. There is no mention of the name Sony anywhere on the old ACM I removed. It is possible the Zetec model has the same as the Focus/C-Max ACM which isn't programmable. The ACM on the Titanium model and upwards is programmable.

There is no separate module for the ACM. The ACM is listed as the module. If you change the ACM for something else it is possible you will lose parking chimes and also handsfree calling via bluetooth. Unless it was exactly the same size you may lose the ability to play CD's as well.

On the Focus ST ACM's that I have seen it had an outlet for a sub woofer but I am not sure if that particular ACM was programmable or preset for the car like the other Focus ACM's.

If you are running sync 2 then you should have the 8" touch screen which is easily replaced with sync 3. You will need a GPS antenna and need to swap the usb media hub. I haven't seen many 2015 cars listed as having Sync 2 as it wasn't introduced until later in that year. Some of us have converted from sync 1 to sync 2 but we are a very small club.
Yep.. sorry.. updated stuff now :) ...I'm not that good with introductions and stuff... but.. Hi all! :D

Yes I thought that SYNC 2 in 2015 is quite unusual, but Etis shows that in a build spec:

ICE-Mid Aud(1C) With Cnectv + DAB
Ice Feature Pack 28
Module/GPS Antenna
With 6 Speakers
Sync II
Less Voice Activated Modules (but actually voice commands work.. so not sure what this one is about)

The good thing is that the GPS is in it.. (it shows the location) but I could not get the maps working.. car came with an SD card but the system does not recognise it.. but this is not so important as I will be putting SYNC 3 later this week. As I'm only putting new APIM I hope that rest of the functions will stay as they are. What do you mean by programable ACM? Is there much that can be changed on it?

I have some wiring diagrams.. and it shows that late production models had subwoofer output on the APM. Diagram is universal and shows 6 and 9 speaker setup.. all connected to the APM.. so maybe the APM for sony and base audio setup is the same.. it is just programmed differently? I think I'm a bit confused as some forums talk about setup in ford edge.. which I think has fitted separate sony DSP and AMP.

·
5,387 Posts
Yep.. sorry.. updated stuff now :) ...I'm not that good with introductions and stuff... but.. Hi all! :D

Yes I thought that SYNC 2 in 2015 is quite unusual, but Etis shows that in a build spec:

ICE-Mid Aud(1C) With Cnectv + DAB
Ice Feature Pack 28
Module/GPS Antenna
With 6 Speakers
Sync II
Less Voice Activated Modules (but actually voice commands work.. so not sure what this one is about)

The good thing is that the GPS is in it.. (it shows the location) but I could not get the maps working.. car came with an SD card but the system does not recognise it.. but this is not so important as I will be putting SYNC 3 later this week. As I'm only putting new APIM I hope that rest of the functions will stay as they are. What do you mean by programable ACM? Is there much that can be changed on it?

I have some wiring diagrams.. and it shows that late production models had subwoofer output on the APM. Diagram is universal and shows 6 and 9 speaker setup.. all connected to the APM.. so maybe the APM for sony and base audio setup is the same.. it is just programmed differently? I think I'm a bit confused as some forums talk about setup in ford edge.. which I think has fitted separate sony DSP and AMP.
I only ever saw a couple of Sync 2 versions on 65 plate Kuga's when I was looking and each time I called, they were sold so I ended up getting a Sync 1 car and then spent ages putting in Sync 2. Not sure if it was an upgradeable option towards the end of 2015 or not but they had Sync 2 in the states from 2013 so don't know why it took a few years to come here.

You don't use the factory fit GPS system that was factory fitted in Sync 2 for Sync 3. It works on an antenna system. The Sync 2 GPS works on the MS Canbus system. Sync 3 doesn't have that. All cars that came with sync 2 without navigation have the ability to be upgraded to with navigation. The APIM just needs one digit changing and a nav patch/app loaded.

The swap to sync 3 may be plug and play or it may not. You will never know for certain until it's plugged in the car even if someone has coded the sync 3 APIM to the VIN of your car. There is no set rule but one thing is for certain, it can be programmed to work. Two of our moderators have done the conversion from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 so will be on hand.

On the ACM programming there is a section for example to add an external sub but the input isn't physically there on the Kuga ACM. I hadn't thought about the Edge or Mondeo. If they have the connector for an external sub then it's possible the ACM can be programmed to suit your car. Here is a picture of the Focus ST ACM. I wouldn't suggest buying a Focus ST ACM as it may not be able to be programmed and you will need that option putting it in a Kuga.

And here is a picture of the Kuga ACM

Can you see the difference. The Focus ST has an extra input which is where the sub plugs in.

The ACM has numerous features which can be changed to suit different specifications of the Kuga and different markets. Ford have possibly done this so they can use just one make of ACM which has the ability to suit whatever they put it in. Not sure why they didn't do it on the Focus.

When I upgraded to Sync 2 I did quite a lot of research looking for parts and at no time did I come across an ACM for a Kuga that had a sub woofer output. It doesn't mean to say it's not there, I just never came across one. I just checked a couple of Edge ACM's on ebay and not one of them had the sub woofer output.

Please bear in mind that it is highly unlikely that anything to do with the sync system will be simply plug and play. As an example I put a sync 3 ACM in my car. Everything worked apart from reverse chimes. I had to make one digit change to make it work. My settings are different to andspenka's car which is a little older than mine. Chances are whatever you put in will need programming using a decent OBD reader, Forscan software and a laptop. It's all pretty simple stuff and what I don't know or have an answer for there is our other super Super Mod, @andspenka .

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @smartguy69. It sounds like you have done a lot of research on the subject :)
To be honest I'm completely ok with playing with forscan and I can bet I will need to tweak few things. I guess once I will be changing to SYNC 3 and I will have access to the ACM unit then I will know what I can do. Looking at the different version that you showed for focus and kuga..I feel that the easiest way will be to add DSP as hunting for a right ACM just to find out that it will not work properly in my car.. or that the sony setup still sounds crap is a bit too risky.

One interesting thing is that I was looking to get maestro T-harness for DSR1.. which is made for US version of the car.. and states that it is for "sony amplified version" (DSR1 T-Harness for Select Ford Vehicles | Rockford Fosgate ®) looking at the plugs they look the same as the subwoofer connector plug that you showed. I guess I will need to find somewhere else a T- Harness as I'm not a fan of splicing wiring.

Are you saying that whatever GPS antenna I have with my SYNC 2 will not work with SYNC 3 and I should get a separate one?

·
5,387 Posts
Thanks @smartguy69. It sounds like you have done a lot of research on the subject :)
To be honest I'm completely ok with playing with forscan and I can bet I will need to tweak few things. I guess once I will be changing to SYNC 3 and I will have access to the ACM unit then I will know what I can do. Looking at the different version that you showed for focus and kuga..I feel that the easiest way will be to add DSP as hunting for a right ACM just to find out that it will not work properly in my car.. or that the sony setup still sounds crap is a bit too risky.

One interesting thing is that I was looking to get maestro T-harness for DSR1.. which is made for US version of the car.. and states that it is for "sony amplified version" (DSR1 T-Harness for Select Ford Vehicles | Rockford Fosgate ®) looking at the plugs they look the same as the subwoofer connector plug that you showed. I guess I will need to find somewhere else a T- Harness as I'm not a fan of splicing wiring.

Are you saying that whatever GPS antenna I have with my SYNC 2 will not work with SYNC 3 and I should get a separate one?
The Escape as the Kuga is known in the USA may well have a different ACM that has the sub outlet. Just not seen one for the UK market. Or as you say you have sourced a conversion lead.

Your experience with Forscan will come in useful. There are some sheets available which were done by a guy called Living_it_up which are extremely helpful when trying to find the right codes with sync 3 and apart from the ones which are car and model specific, many of the codes are the same throughout the ford range. The sheets are actually based in the F-150 but we have used the same codes for the Kuga to get things on line. A lot of the codes are the same for sync 2 as well so make sure you take a back up and a screen shot of your current sync 2 settings as many of them could be ok to use for sync 3. Navigation will be different and am sure andspenka may add some more pointers.

The sync 2 GPSM becomes redundant with sync 3. Andspenka advises not to buy a cheap GPS antenna.

If you want to know how the top cover comes off just ask. Despite what the internet may show it is screwed down.

You will also need a sync 3 usb media hub and you can buy a conversion lead which converts your existing 12 pin plug on the sync 2 lead to a 4 pin. This is the lead you want for the usb hub.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Escape as the Kuga is known in the USA may well have a different ACM that has the sub outlet. Just not seen one for the UK market. Or as you say you have sourced a conversion lead.

Your experience with Forscan will come in useful. There are some sheets available which were done by a guy called Living_it_up which are extremely helpful when trying to find the right codes with sync 3 and apart from the ones which are car and model specific, many of the codes are the same throughout the ford range. The sheets are actually based in the F-150 but we have used the same codes for the Kuga to get things on line. A lot of the codes are the same for sync 2 as well so make sure you take a back up and a screen shot of your current sync 2 settings as many of them could be ok to use for sync 3. Navigation will be different and am sure andspenka may add some more pointers.

The sync 2 GPSM becomes redundant with sync 3. Andspenka advises not to buy a cheap GPS antenna.

If you want to know how the top cover comes off just ask. Despite what the internet may show it is screwed down.

You will also need a sync 3 usb media hub and you can buy a conversion lead which converts your existing 12 pin plug on the sync 2 lead to a 4 pin. This is the lead you want for the usb hub.

I bought this set of e-bay.. FORD KUGA MK2 SYNC3 SAT NAV SCREEN WITH USB 2017-2019 EU67 | eBay which has the USB hub with it.. so I guess I will not need this adapter cable?
I think I've seen those sheets somewhere.. I will need to have a closer look. Thanks!
I have just ordered SMA to fakra adapter for the antenna as I have few good quality GPS and GLONAS antennas at work.. so I can test which one works best. I think the problem with them might be due to the heated windscreen.. i remember in my old focus I had some issues with the GPS. Probably the best one would be a roof mounted model but as I have a sunroof I don't fancy taking roof lining apart. But I will think about it as many good antennas can have significantly improved signal if they are mounted on a metal surface.

·
5,387 Posts
I bought this set of e-bay.. FORD KUGA MK2 SYNC3 SAT NAV SCREEN WITH USB 2017-2019 EU67 | eBay which has the USB hub with it.. so I guess I will not need this adapter cable?
I think I've seen those sheets somewhere.. I will need to have a closer look. Thanks!
I have just ordered SMA to fakra adapter for the antenna as I have few good quality GPS and GLONAS antennas at work.. so I can test which one works best. I think the problem with them might be due to the heated windscreen.. i remember in my old focus I had some issues with the GPS. Probably the best one would be a roof mounted model but as I have a sunroof I don't fancy taking roof lining apart. But I will think about it as many good antennas can have significantly improved signal if they are mounted on a metal surface.
The kit looks ok but you will still need the adapter. The sync 2 usb hub in your car has a 12 pin connector. The sync 3 usb hub has a 4 pin connector. It is only powered with live and earth. There is a mini usb leads also that connects to the media hub but it is the same for all sync 2 and 3.

The connector on the left is what fits the sync 3 media hub. The connector on the right fits your existing car's sync 2 usb wiring loom.

The lead is called a GEN 2A. Delivery from China was about 10 days for me.
Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 21.44.16.png

In addition I think you will also need the bezel for the sync 3 usb hub as the one in the link looks to be a smaller hub when compared to sync 2. Hopefully one of our sync 2 to 3 modders can confirm.

Most people who do the conversion stick the GPS antenna under the top of the dash.

·
Super Moderator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,633 Posts
It's only the power connector that's different between the Sync 2 & 3 hubs. The one you have bought, has the USB cable but not the power.

My GPS Antenna is from a Renault, it was one that was recommended across the groups from the various people that have done the conversion and it works perfectly. It's mounted in the factory Sync 2 position behind the speedo. I did have a cheaper one at first which was mounted under the top panel at the front closest to the windscreen.

The Sync 3 USB hub is definitely smaller, it's the same height, it's just the width that's smaller. So mine is sitting in place but it has a gap at each side, I have ran a 3M cable to my phone so I've used the gap to my advantage and fed the cable through the gap and down through the centre console and then along the bottom of the console to the front and up to the windscreen.

·
3,277 Posts
The US Escape with Sync 2 (or MFT "My Ford Touch" as they call it) and the Sony system had a subwoofer in the cargo area. The amp was located under the cargo area false floor, the sub built into the side cargo area panel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's only the power connector that's different between the Sync 2 & 3 hubs. The one you have bought, has the USB cable but not the power.

My GPS Antenna is from a Renault, it was one that was recommended across the groups from the various people that have done the conversion and it works perfectly. It's mounted in the factory Sync 2 position behind the speedo. I did have a cheaper one at first which was mounted under the top panel at the front closest to the windscreen.

The Sync 3 USB hub is definitely smaller, it's the same height, it's just the width that's smaller. So mine is sitting in place but it has a gap at each side, I have ran a 3M cable to my phone so I've used the gap to my advantage and fed the cable through the gap and down through the centre console and then along the bottom of the console to the front and up to the windscreen.
I might have a look for this antenna if I can not get anything else working. Do you have a part number for it by any chance? ;)
I think I might 3D print a mounting bracket for the hub if it will not fit.. but I think mine is a small version already as it does not have AUX in etc. BTW. where do you put your phone? Do you have a dash holder? I was looking around and I can not find a "natural" place where to fit the phone. I think I will make a 3D printed dock for where the handbreak is (between the handle and the center console.. and maybe integrate a wireless charging in it (as I assume the USB hub is not providing enough power for a quick charge).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The US Escape with Sync 2 (or MFT "My Ford Touch" as they call it) and the Sony system had a subwoofer in the cargo area. The amp was located under the cargo area false floor, the sub built into the side cargo area panel.
I just searched for it on ebay.. that looks quite good.. it would be nice to retrofit this (with a different speaker).. but shipment from US would to expensive :/
It is interesting if anyone attempted to make an OEM looking sub box on the side (like you can get for ford focus etc).

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
I have a magnetic wireless charger for my phone which I use mostly, the cable is only for the rare occasion that I want to use CarPlay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh ok.. I can imagine that I would always run stuff with android auto.. so always connecting.. unless I will get one of those: AAWireless (which as far as I know works fine with SYNC 3)... and then my phone can stay in my pocket.

·
5,387 Posts
I might have a look for this antenna if I can not get anything else working. Do you have a part number for it by any chance? ;)
I think I might 3D print a mounting bracket for the hub if it will not fit.. but I think mine is a small version already as it does not have AUX in etc. BTW. where do you put your phone? Do you have a dash holder? I was looking around and I can not find a "natural" place where to fit the phone. I think I will make a 3D printed dock for where the handbreak is (between the handle and the center console.. and maybe integrate a wireless charging in it (as I assume the USB hub is not providing enough power for a quick charge).
Not having an Aux port is strange on a sync 2 Kuga. Does it just have one usb port. If so and looks like mine below then you won't need the media hub adapter lead. This one has the same 4 pin connector as a sync 3 hub.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My SYNC 3 just arrived! And the guy shipped it with a GPS antenna so I should have no problems with that! :)
Not sure where this antenna usually fits.. but it looks like this:

And regarding the media hub.. I do have a line In.. but just a 3.5mm jack (I've seen somewhere picture of those with RCA connectors so I assumed that mine does not have it):
In this case then I will need an adapter plate and the cable :/

·
5,387 Posts
My SYNC 3 just arrived! And the guy shipped it with a GPS antenna so I should have no problems with that! :)
Not sure where this antenna usually fits.. but it looks like this:

And regarding the media hub.. I do have a line In.. but just a 3.5mm jack (I've seen somewhere picture of those with RCA connectors so I assumed that mine does not have it):
In this case then I will need an adapter plate and the cable :/
That's a bonus with the antenna. On the conversions I have seen most people stick them on the underneath of the dashboard with some 3M tape. Not sure where it's supposed to be for sync 3. On sync 2 the GPS module is behind the clocks. How long is the wire for it.

Also your media hub is the correct one for sync 2. It will have a 12 pin connector going to it so you will need the lead I posted. You could just use jumper wires to give it power and earth but that would seem like a bodge lol when you can have the right bit of kit for less than a tenner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's a bonus with the antenna. On the conversions I have seen most people stick them on the underneath of the dashboard with some 3M tape. Not sure where it's supposed to be for sync 3. On sync 2 the GPS module is behind the clocks. How long is the wire for it.

Also your media hub is the correct one for sync 2. It will have a 12 pin connector going to it so you will need the lead I posted. You could just use jumper wires to give it power and earth but that would seem like a bodge lol when you can have the right bit of kit for less than a tenner.
I think I will use jumper wires for now just for testing.. but I have ordered the correct cable already.
The GPS antenna cable is over 2m long (~220cm).. so not sure where it would be fitted normally.. any ideas? Looking at the shape of it I'm wondering if it does not fit around the mirror somehow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok.. conversion done.. almost :)
That is a very straightforward process.. I would say that having the right parts that is 15min max!
It looks like the GPS antenna that I got has a wrong gender so I will do a quick mod to fix it and get a new shorter cable for it.
Lack of USB power adapter cable meant using jumper wires for now.. but it works.
@smartguy69 thanks for the tip regarding the top section having screws!

Issues so far:
  • I need to research how to program the factory settings into APIM as it does not want to play nice saying no VIN found or something like that.
  • Looks like everything is working but annoying thing is that I don't have EQ pre-sets like I did nit SYNC 2 (maybe this can be enabled?)
  • Trying to enable one of the functions on the APIM (via the simple menu version) messed-up my voice commands language.. I think it is dutch now! ..although system is in English.. and the voice commands were in English to start with!
  • I had an issue with SYNC 2 not keeping time (changing for some random time).. I thought that it was a fault with APIM and that new unit will fix it but it did not.. any idea which module is responsible for that or how to fix this? I assume that somewhere in one of the modules there is a dead battery or power cap that keeps the RTC.
  • when doing a test drive I've noticed that SYNC 3 was changing the brightness jumping between day and night mode.. like it could not decide, but I assume this is connected to the issue above as back then the time was showing midnight but it was still bright outside.

Other than that the rest is fine I think. oh and sadly my ACM does not have subwoofer output.

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
I never reprogrammed anything when I swapped between Sync 2 & 3. Mine recognises my VIN.

You need to do a Master Reset on your Sync 3 unit.

You can't load your As Built, as it's for a car with Sync 2, you would have to get one for a same spec model car but with Sync 3.

The flicking between night and day has nothing to do with the time setting, it has a sensor. It's a known bug on them but it can be fixed by turning off the Automatic Dimming in the Car lighting Menu.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts