Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,499 Posts
@fraglez8 - I wish I could have installed sync 2 in that amount of time. andspenka has more experience of tuning sync 3 as I haven't done sync 3 yet.......but I do understand some of the sync 3 programming.

@andspenka - apologies but I thought you had used your sync 2 settings for sync 3. Fraglez probably won't know how to get an asbuilt for a sync 3 car. Also not sure what is meant by the wrong gender for the antenna. Architecture perhaps. We both had that issue.

·
Super Moderator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,655 Posts
I never reprogrammed anything when I swapped between Sync 2 & 3. Mine recognises my VIN.
@andspenka - apologies but I thought you had used your sync 2 settings for sync 3. Fraglez probably won't know how to get an asbuilt for a sync 3 car. Also not sure what is meant by the wrong gender for the antenna. Architecture perhaps. We both had that issue.
I did, that's what I said :unsure:

Wrong gender to me would mean he has a male when he needs a female (Fakra, that is)

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I read what you said as being the sync 3 just worked, i.e. plug and play.
It did, what am I missing?

Apart from adding the GPS & USB hub, that is.

He said he was going to program stuff, I said I never reprogrammed anything when I swapped from 2 to 3.

·
5,499 Posts
It did, what am I missing?

Apart from adding the GPS & USB hub, that is.

He said he was going to program stuff, I said I never reprogrammed anything when I swapped from 2 to 3.
Ok, lol......I am not splitting hairs by the way. A misinterpretation perhaps. To me using your existing sync 2 settings would be seen as reprogramming the sync 3 unit.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga 2015 Titanium X Sport
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@andspenka I think I managed to get everything back as I saved the as build config when I have started playing with it.. although the voice commands are still in different lingo! I need to research that.
Do you have an EQ settings in audio? I'm not sure if they taken out this in SYNC 3 or I need to program this in as the APIM came from a car with a lower spec sound system.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Ok, lol......I am not splitting hairs by the way. A misinterpretation perhaps. To me using your existing sync 2 settings would be seen as reprogramming the sync 3 unit.
No, neither am I, I just couldn't understand what you meant. I discounted the programming I did for Sync 2 because if I had a Sync 2 car I never did anything, if you know what I mean.

@andspenka I think I managed to get everything back as I saved the as build config when I have started playing with it.. although the voice commands are still in different lingo! I need to research that.
Do you have an EQ settings in audio? I'm not sure if they taken out this in SYNC 3 or I need to program this in as the APIM came from a car with a lower spec sound system.
Have you performed a Master Reset? My sat nav voice was in German at first, no idea why but it was.

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
No, neither am I, I just couldn't understand what you meant. I discounted the programming I did for Sync 2 because if I had a Sync 2 car I never did anything, if you know what I mean.

Have you performed a Master Reset? My sat nav voice was in German at first, no idea why but it was.
Yes I did.. it did not fix it.. I think I will try to download the update from ETIS and that could potentially fix it.. but I need to get reg number/vin for the car from which the APIM was taken out.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
You need to get the VIN from an exact model as yours but with Sync 3, other wise you could affect other things. Unless you go through it block by block and make changes.

What I mean by that is, if your car has the Park Assist and reversing camera but the donor car doesn't, then your park assist and camera would stop working.

I'm not saying you have these, just an example.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You need to get the VIN from an exact model as yours but with Sync 3, other wise you could affect other things. Unless you go through it block by block and make changes.

What I mean by that is, if your car has the Park Assist and reversing camera but the donor car doesn't, then your park assist and camera would stop working.

I'm not saying you have these, just an example.
But as I understand all this can be set in as build config.. so if I will download an update from ford etis... using vin of the donor car.. and if anything will stop working I can always restore those to what I had.
I'm tempted to update to Sync 3.4. Have you updated yours?

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
But as I understand all this can be set in as build config.. so if I will download an update from ford etis... using vin of the donor car.. and if anything will stop working I can always restore those to what I had.
I'm tempted to update to Sync 3.4. Have you updated yours?
Yes you can but it's just a complete mess on, and you would need to know all the individual blocks to reset. It's up to you how you do it, just trying to offer advice.

Yes, I've updated to 3.4. Not using Ford's clunky update system though, using what we call and alternative update system that we DO NOT discuss on the open forum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yes you can but it's just a complete mess on, and you would need to know all the individual blocks to reset. It's up to you how you do it, just trying to offer advice.

Yes, I've updated to 3.4. Not using Ford's clunky update system though, using what we call and alternative update system that we DO NOT discuss on the open forum.
@andspenka ok.. heh I know which one you are talking about. I think I will try this then :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have almost collected all the parts.. just waiting for a DSP and will need to get some wiring made. One question.. any idea where is the best place to pass the power cable from the engine bay into the cabin? I could not see anyone putting together any post showing an audio upgrade so I think I will document mine.

·
5,499 Posts
I have almost collected all the parts.. just waiting for a DSP and will need to get some wiring made. One question.. any idea where is the best place to pass the power cable from the engine bay into the cabin? I could not see anyone putting together any post showing an audio upgrade so I think I will document mine.
There has been the occasional stereo swap but not an audio upgrade to the level you are doing so looks like you will be the first.

I think the loom comes through the bulkhead near the fusebox underneath the glovebox. I assume you want to go straight to the battery for power.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
@smartguy69 interesting why it is.. it might be that typical use of Kuga is as a family car etc.. and I don't fit into this demographic.. yet :)

I guess it is somewhere there, I will need to have a look for some spare hole with grommet or something. I know that there is a fusebox in a boot, but this sits on 70A fuse.. which would be fine for just the speakers amp.. but adding a subwoofer might push the limit at times if anything from the rear box is being used.

·
5,499 Posts
@smartguy69 interesting why it is.. it might be that typical use of Kuga is as a family car etc.. and I don't fit into this demographic.. yet :)

I guess it is somewhere there, I will need to have a look for some spare hole with grommet or something. I know that there is a fusebox in a boot, but this sits on 70A fuse.. which would be fine for just the speakers amp.. but adding a subwoofer might push the limit at times if anything from the rear box is being used.
A couple of our members have introduced an led light which shows when the car is doing a dpf regeneration which connects to one of the relays in the engine bay. I will see if I can find the thread and then you will be able to find out exactly where you can get a cable through.

I think most people who are into modifying their cars may buy something other than a Kuga or any other SUV for that matter.

@fraglez8 - Update. I have found the thread where some members have introduced a dpf regen led light so hopefully a route through from the engine bay will be a little clearer.

DPF Regeneration after Software Update | Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
@murcod nope.. this is manual.

It looks like my project will be delayed.. as today my car would not start with a flat battery (at 8V) so it looks like I have some electrical problem somewhere.. and this needs to be sorted first ;((

21 - 38 of 38 Posts