Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought my Kuga 2.0 TDCi Titanium a few weeks ago from an independent dealer with a service and repair workshop.
Before I bought the car they told me there was an issue with all the audio so they ordered a part/module thing from Ford . This fixed the issue with the radio/CD/bluetooth sound etc and we thought all was well. Since buying the car I noticed that when reversing I got the correct graphics but no sound, however the radio volume reduces right down once the sensors start to detect an obstacle - I assumed this was normal. Then yesterday I realised that when I received a call on my paired iPhone, although the centre display graphics showed it coming in and I was able to accept it on the steering wheel button I could hear nothing but the caller (my wife) could hear me fine. Having read some threads on here I realised I should also be getting sound from the sensors.
I’ve tried to find a simple answer on the forum here but haven’t been able to. I’m not into tinkering with the programming. I will be phoning up the garage where I bought it but wanted to know first:

1. Is there something I can do to fix it?
  2. Is it something I can expect a non-Ford small independent trader to be able to fix (with workshops and a recently recruited Ford-trained mechanic in the team)?

I have tried doing a reset but that didn’t do anything except make me have to re-pair my phone etc.

In case you need techie info please see photos of centre screen System info.

Sorry for the length, just wanted to give as much info as possible in initial post.

Thanks.
Vehicle Font Automotive design Personal luxury car Automotive lighting

Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Font Automotive lighting

Automotive design Personal luxury car Vehicle Tints and shades Electric blue

Vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive lighting Window Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
As to the sound and volume on the phone, ensure that both the volume on the car and the phone are turned up. Sounds daft but a few have found that to be the case.

Radio volume down when something is detected, I would say is normal. It does it on mine as well, even on the cross traffic alert.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,625 Posts
The first thing you need to find out is what they replaced. I am guessing it its the APIM, also known as the bluetooth module for sync 1. They are not necessarily plug and play and may need programming. I doubt very much that an independent garage would be able to do that, or perhaps know how to do that.

I know what they should have done and that could be the reason why it's not working properly.

If you find out exactly what they replaced including the ford engineering part number and then let's go from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first thing you need to find out is what they replaced. I am guessing it its the APIM, also known as the bluetooth module for sync 1. They are not necessarily plug and play and may need programming. I doubt very much that an independent garage would be able to do that, or perhaps know how to do that.

I know what they should have done and that could be the reason why it's not working properly.

If you find out exactly what they replaced including the ford engineering part number and then let's go from there.
Many thanks, I’ll make enquiries next week

·
Registered
366 Posts
I found when I replaced all my audio in my MK3 that all the Prompts/Voice/Alerts were down at 0. Which panicked me as I thought I’d broken it.

Press the voice button on the steering wheel, and crank the volume. If you have CarPlay, or your iPhone hooked up, get Siri to sing you a song (this keeps the Voice channel open for about 10 seconds so you can turn it up!)

Waze/Apple Maps navigation can trigger the Prompt.

I think there’s 4 volume types, and it can be tricky to trigger them all so that you can turn them up.

Not certain this is your problem but costs nowt more than 5 minutes of your time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As to the sound and volume on the phone, ensure that both the volume on the car and the phone are turned up. Sounds daft but a few have found that to be the case.

Radio volume down when something is detected, I would say is normal. It does it on mine as well, even on the cross traffic alert.
Thanks, I’ll check. I know sound attenuation is normal on reversing. I’ve just returned a 2020 Skoda Kamiq on lease maturity to a lease company. I miss Apple airplay on a 10 inch screen but hey ho, retirement has its flaws.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,625 Posts
Many thanks, I’ll make enquiries next week
If they say the replaced the APIM also called the Bluetooth module, ask them if they programmed it. If they say Yes, then ask them where they got the settings from. The correct answer should be they used the original as-built for the car.

My guess is they just put another module in and didn't programme it. The same applies if the had replaced the ACM which is the radio / cd player on the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found when I replaced all my audio in my MK3 that all the Prompts/Voice/Alerts were down at 0. Which panicked me as I thought I’d broken it.

Press the voice button on the steering wheel, and crank the volume. If you have CarPlay, or your iPhone hooked up, get Siri to sing you a song (this keeps the Voice channel open for about 10 seconds so you can turn it up!)

Waze/Apple Maps navigation can trigger the Prompt.

I think there’s 4 volume types, and it can be tricky to trigger them all so that you can turn them up.

Not certain this is your problem but costs nowt more than 5 minutes of your time.
I’ll check it out, thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts