Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've had my Bluefin fitted for over 18 months now. I've had the last 4 cars remapped including a Focus ST, S-Max 2.2 TDCi and my current 1.5 ecoboost Kuga. I would always remap for the reasons mentioned above - safer overtaking and a more leisurely drive as a result due to the extra torque it provides. I have the Bluefin which enables me to remove the map for warranty work and put it back on afterwards. I have done this for the past 3 x Fords with no issues regarding warranty at all even after Fords carrying out ECU update warranty work. Not sure is the Blurfin is readily available anymore now that Superchips have been taken over. My S-Max diesel was brilliant having owned it for 11 years (10 years with Bluefin fitted) with no issues. In fact the MOT emissions reading was always actually way below the normal with the Bluefin.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just checked superchips website and yes you can still get bluefin £399 includes VAT or £334 includes VAT and mobile fitting (January offer £100 off for mobile fitting was £434)
with mine 177bhp with bluefin 220bhp. 400Nm to 472Nm

Ross

Reactions: Phil Doggo

·
Mr. Forgetful
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
1,218 Posts
I decided to take the plunge and get a remap installed!

Given I've never done it before and this is probably the last fully fossil fuel car I'll own, I thought why not give it a go.

I bought a used bluefin for £30 off eBay and got it programmed remotely from home with Superchips for £250, so this allows me to swap it back and forth anytime myself.

It's taken the car from 174bhp to 203bhp and from 254Nm to 311Nm.

It's still early days and given the recent snow and lockdown travel restrictions, I've not had chance to fully asses it, but it certainly goes now and has become super-fun to drive :D

My Kuga is an auto, so it's changed the characteristics, which I'm yet to get used to and given I have D mode, S mode and also manual control with the paddles, I've got some trying out to do.

No noticeable difference in mpg so far, but I've only really been to the local shops etc, so can't give any details on it yet.

Happy bunny :giggle:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
****, now I MUST get off my arse and do this myself already..... :D

Problem is, I contacted Bluefin about cost and shipping, and they haven't yet figured out all this "Brexit" mess, while Pumaspeed already ships VAT-excluded. I may end up using their MaxD-Out solution...

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,689 Posts

Problem is, I contacted Bluefin about cost and shipping, and they haven't yet figured out all this "Brexit" mess, while Pumaspeed already ships VAT-excluded. I may end up using their MaxD-Out solution...
I bet the majority of people who voted Leave didn't foresee the problems it was going to cause with movements of goods. I work for a Northern Irish company and movement of goods from England to NI is ridiculous. Some companies refusing now to ship to NI from England. I thought the idea of us getting some trade agreement with the EU was so we still had free circulation of goods WITHOUT the red tape. Obviously not.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
10 Posts
It's actually basic physics. Kinetic energy, friction and heat transfer is all you need to explain why higher power output necessitates better/bigger brakes. Higher power output means faster and higher kinetic energy fluctuations, which in turn require better stopping power, both for the sheer stopping power (same mass but higher velocity) AND the need to dissipate higher temperatures due to friction.
These are hardly going to be used on the track. You aren’t carrying higher top speeds in to braking zones. Just because you accelerate faster doesn’t mean you automatically drive faster or carry more momentum when you have to stop. Weight etc remains the same. If someone is unable to read the road and predict when they will need to brake due to all the extra power then spending money on driver training may be better than putting it to brakes.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
These are hardly going to be used on the track. You aren’t carrying higher top speeds in to braking zones. Just because you accelerate faster doesn’t mean you automatically drive faster or carry more momentum when you have to stop. Weight etc remains the same. If someone is unable to read the road and predict when they will need to brake due to all the extra power then spending money on driver training may be better than putting it to brakes.
So we are really discussing whether faster cars need better brakes ?!?! Really ?!?! Let's start with Ford, just tell them they don't need better brakes in their Fiesta STs or Focus STs or RSs, they can install the smaller brakes they install in the base models, same car, same size, same weight, they aren't carying higher speed, because they don't drive faster or carry more momentum.....

Seriously ?!?!?!

·
Registered
Honda Civic
10 Posts
Two identical cars both travelling at 70mph will require the same levels of braking.
Just because one car got to 70mph quicker doesn’t mean it carries any more momentum than the other one.
Driving harder and faster into braking zones requires greater braking but any half decent driver will realise that a remap and nothing else leaves you with the same car with the same road handling characteristics as before and drive accordingly. If they can’t control an increase in BHP and go barrelling along uncontrollably, requiring better braking to get them out of trouble then they ought to pass on the whole remap idea altogether. It’s doesn’t require that much skill to understand the limits of your car and stay within them.

Now, if someone is wanting to drive harder, brake later etc then of course they need better brakes. This is why STs and RSs, as you mention, have them. With a remap I know I can accelerate harder and overtake more easily but I am not naive enough to realise that it is still the same car in all other areas.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Now, if someone is wanting to drive harder, brake later etc then of course they need better brakes. This is why STs and RSs, as you mention, have them. With a remap I know I can accelerate harder and overtake more easily but I am not naive enough to realise that it is still the same car in all other areas.
OK, this we can agree on. The no.1 reason people get a remap is because they want to drive harder/faster, brake later/better, and since the rest of the car is exactly the same as before, the very first thing everyone says after the remap is "upgrade brakes and suspension", to match the increased performance of the engine.

Reasons why one doesn't get the faster "version" (for instance in our case, an ST) from the begining are numerous, but even then, most ST owners look to remap/increase engine performance, which then brings them to the same problem, mainly increasing brake performance ;)

Edit: just something to have in mind, there are differences between models, which should be taken into account when remapping. For instance, the Kuga (MK2.5 at least) has the same brakes, no matter the engine and power level, so even when upgrading from 120 to 180 or 200HP, you already have the best brakes offered from factory, so all you need is the remap.

On the other hand, the Fiesta (MK7/7.5 plain models and not the ST) comes with smaller discs and rear drums in the lower trims (up to 100HP), but bigger discs front and rear in the top power levels (125 and 140). Same deal with the Puma, which comes with rear discs in the top 155HP trim. So in the case of the Fiesta, the very same car has different brakes as we go up in the power "ladder", which is an indication that (a) the manufacturer saw necessary to fit better brakes in the more powerful versions, and (b) you really need to splash out at least for brakes, when remaping.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
10 Posts
OK, this we can agree on. The no.1 reason people get a remap is because they want to drive harder/faster, brake later/better, and since the rest of the car is exactly the same as before, the very first thing everyone says after the remap is "upgrade brakes and suspension", to match the increased performance of the engine.

Reasons why one doesn't get the faster "version" (for instance in our case, an ST) from the begining are numerous, but even then, most ST owners look to remap/increase engine performance, which then brings them to the same problem, mainly increasing brake performance ;)

Edit: just something to have in mind, there are differences between models, which should be taken into account when remapping. For instance, the Kuga (MK2.5 at least) has the same brakes, no matter the engine and power level, so even when upgrading from 120 to 180 or 200HP, you already have the best brakes offered from factory, so all you need is the remap.

On the other hand, the Fiesta (MK7/7.5 plain models and not the ST) comes with smaller discs and rear drums in the lower trims (up to 100HP), but bigger discs front and rear in the top power levels (125 and 140). Same deal with the Puma, which comes with rear discs in the top 155HP trim. So in the case of the Fiesta, the very same car has different brakes as we go up in the power "ladder", which is an indication that (a) the manufacturer saw necessary to fit better brakes in the more powerful versions, and (b) you really need to splash out at least for brakes, when remaping.
So yes, you don’t have to upgrade your brakes if you remap the Kuga. 👍
Even with other cars, simply getting a remap does not necessitate the need to upgrade brakes. For reasons I’ve already stated. In reality how much improvement in real terms would you expect to see in a car that’s identical except for 30-50bhp? I bet you wouldn’t notice any difference at all in upgrading your brakes even if upgraded sizes were available (speaking from my Impreza modding days).
Even if you were still determined to improve your brakes, simply buying better pads and discs can make the necessary improvements needed if you are driving spiritedly.

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,218 Posts
My brakes etc are being left alone; as you all say, there's no point.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Unfortunatelly although the Kuga should be just fine, this isn't the case with the Fiesta, in which upgrading the brakes is almost a necessity, at least for spirited driving. Even in stock form (100HP), the rear drums put more strain on the front discs, which in turn fade and tire and wear out even faster and more easily than if it had rear discs. Upgrading the pads to, say, EBCs helps but only so much. Imagine the strain with the seriously increased engine output, even with a modest Stage1 remap. That's why Pumaspeed recomends upgrading the front discs with the ST ones (calipers, discs and pads) and/or upgrading the rear drums to discs (which requires replacing the entire rear axle with the ST one)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Unfortunatelly although the Kuga should be just fine, this isn't the case with the Fiesta, in which upgrading the brakes is almost a necessity, at least for spirited driving. Even in stock form (100HP), the rear drums put more strain on the front discs, which in turn fade and tire and wear out even faster and more easily than if it had rear discs. Upgrading the pads to, say, EBCs helps but only so much. Imagine the strain with the seriously increased engine output, even with a modest Stage1 remap. That's why Pumaspeed recomends upgrading the front discs with the ST ones (calipers, discs and pads) and/or upgrading the rear drums to discs (which requires replacing the entire rear axle with the ST one)
I've just read, and re-read this whole thread and I'm with you on this one...

Its more than reasonable (and sensible) to infer that if you're car has been remapped, you'll be going quicker or accelerating faster more often that you would have been otherwise. That being the case you are more likely to have to brake from a higher speed more often.
Brake pads, fluids & calipers of course heat up quickly, the kuga is a HEAVY car.. Three main things (for those reading this post that don't know) that influence braking force are:
  1. How hard the calipers squeeze the pads against the disc
  2. The diameter of the discs and their swept area
  3. The coefficient of friction between the pads and discs
the cheapest and therefore easist thing to improve upon are the brake pads , it’s all about the coefficient of friction. Everything else being equal, a higher coefficient of friction yields more braking force.

For the £85, I'd rather have a set of red stuff pads and not need them, than need them and not have them....

I fitted a set of Focus ST2 brakes to my car... FOCUS ST BRAKES

Larger discs (320mm vs 300mm), brake calipers approx 50% bigger, yellow stuff pads, ATE super Blue fluid.

I previously had red stuff pads on the standard calipers...they were MUCH better than standard, not a patch on these though.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

Finally got off my arse and ordered it, worked out all the details with the guys at Superchips for VAT, shipping and some sort of "Product of UK" proof, they've already done similar post-Brexit UK-to-EU shippings so they know all this stuff, should be in my hands next week, let's see what we'll see then ;)

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,218 Posts
Finally got off my arse and ordered it, worked out all the details with the guys at Superchips for VAT, shipping and some sort of "Product of UK" proof, they've already done similar post-Brexit UK-to-EU shippings so they know all this stuff, should be in my hands next week, let's see what we'll see then ;)
Great :D let us know how you get on (y)

Reactions: The Ace

·
Registered
489 Posts
Welcome to the Bluefin club... 👊

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,689 Posts
Assuming this is for the Kuga which will mean the brakes will be ok with the extra 30bhp as they ship from the factory with the same brakes on either 150/180 power outputs.

@Martin1977 - Nice write up on post #53. My Kuga has 320mm front discs as standard so looks like they upgraded them on the mk2 or certainly on some models. Will consider using something like EBC pads next time I need some.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Correct, I'm talking about the Kuga, the Fiesta has already gone the Bluefin way a while ago ;)

Although the additional 50HP are indeed a serious ~33% increase, Kuga comes with 300mm front and 280mm rear discs, which appear to be quite adequate in other Kugas that have been similarly remaped to around ~200HP.

Besides, I haven't had any brake problems so far, which is quite different from the Fiesta, with which I had brake issues since day 1...

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,689 Posts
Oh wow, an extra 50 horses and not 30 like I said. Watch out for those speeding tickets. The first thing that impressed me with the Kuga was how goods the brakes were. After replacing mine last year I was disappointed with the feel but finally they seem to have bedded in but they certainly were not like the Valeo originals when I did them.

Reactions: Phil Doggo

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yep, Bluefin/Superchip's remap is a beefy 50HP increase (dyno-ed), as Phil Doggo and SiJY's signatures proudly demonstrate :D

41 - 60 of 114 Posts